Forte III

oldred

On 2/22/2017 at 3:36 PM, haydukej said:

I've been wanting to dive into the Heritage line for awhile (eyeing Heresy iii), but I think procrastination will have paid off. Here's to hoping to have the Fiii's as my intro to Heritage. Thanks to all the input from the veterans on here, that helped cut down on my productivity at work today. 

YES. Go for F IIIs. The IIs are pretty darn good, so the IIIs should be "first rate".

Brad

So hypothetical situation: used LS (with sub) vs. FIIIs...space not being a concern, any thoughts of pros/cons. I realize that this is probably an apples/oranges comparison (I haven't been able to hear either speaker in my lifetime), but the biggest draw to me would be probably picking up a pair of LS for about half of what the new FIIIs would be. And I already have a sub to support the LS. My brother has a pair of RF7s, which I have heard and love, so I suppose that could be another option if that would help.

Thanks

I heard Belles, ONCE.

The fellow I bought my second pair of Forte ii's from had Belles playing when I came down the stairs to his listeneing room.

The sound was the fullest, most open music I have heard to date.

When he hooked up the Forte ii's, right beside the Belle's, my heart sank... the difference was THAT noticeable!

But I had come for the Forte ii's and when I got them into my living room I was not disappointed.

Until I heard Cornwall's!

Simply put - there is no replacement for displacement. 

Big woofer, good.

Big horn, better.

Big woofer and big horn, best!

LaScala's WILL be my next purchase, unless God drops a pair of K-horns into my life first!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, geoff. said:

I heard Belles, ONCE.

The fellow I bought my second pair of Forte ii's from had Belles playing when I came down the stairs to his listeneing room.

The sound was the fullest, most open music I have heard to date.

When he hooked up the Forte ii's, right beside the Belle's, my heart sank... the difference was THAT noticeable!

But I had come for the Forte ii's and when I got them into my living room I was not disappointed.

Until I heard Cornwall's!

Big woofer, good.

Big horn, better.

LaScala's WILL be my next purchase, unless God drops a pair of K-horns into my life first!

Pray harder....

As dramatic a difference as there is between La Scala's and Forte II's or Chorus II's, or Cornwalls, there is also that dramatic delta between La Scala's and Khorns.  Whenever I have anyone over to the house for a listen, or if I'm selling something, I always try to play something before  the LS or Khorns.  

I would think getting a sub to integrate with the folded horn enclosed woofer would be hard. Personally I find getting really good sub integration is a pain and needs a dedicated listening room. 

Loving my Cornwalls but am anxiously awaiting hearing the Forte 3.

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

Loving my Cornwalls but am anxiously awaiting hearing the Forte 3.

Have you done anything to your Cornwalls as far as updates? There's another thread that points out the need to update the crossover to a B-2 if yours don't already have them, fresh caps are needed if they do and they're still stock. There's also a new mid driver Bob Crites sells the A-55g which could be a dramatic step up depending on which driver you have already. Also the CT-120 tweeters are a huge upgrade over the stock k-77's-- I have the A-55g's and CT-120's in my Heresy HIP's and they sound absolutely wonderful, just wish they had a bit more bass. As noted in the other thread you can always sell your stock parts to recoup some of the cost so total investment isn't too high.

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Have you done anything to your Cornwalls as far as updates? There's another thread that points out the need to update the crossover to a B-2 if yours don't already have them, fresh caps are needed if they do and they're still stock. There's also a new mid driver Bob Crites sells the A-55g which could be a dramatic step up depending on which driver you have already. Also the CT-120 tweeters are a huge upgrade over the stock k-77's-- I have the A-55g's and CT-120's in my Heresy HIP's and they sound absolutely wonderful, just wish they had a bit more bass. As noted in the other thread you can always sell your stock parts to recoup some of the cost so total investment isn't too high.

I just picked them up last week. I did open them up and look at the insides. The crossovers are B-3 and they were bought new in October of 84 and are in amazing shape. I am going to do the Crites crossover rebuild. 

From everything I have read it's the size of the Midrange horn that is the limiting factor on these Cornwalls, if you can call them limited. They sound great but I am looking forward to giving the Forte 3s a listen. I am really curious how the Klipsch sound can be evolved with all the new technology out there. My Cornwalls will always be keepers but I am thinking the Forte 3s will be great with some nice tube gear. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
23 hours ago, ScottR said:

I would think getting a sub to integrate with the folded horn enclosed woofer would be hard. Personally I find getting really good sub integration is a pain and needs a dedicated listening room. 

It's easier with a horn sub. :lol:

I use a copy of a Danely spud with MWM bass bins, blends perfectly, it's cut off at 40. I'm not really looking for more bass just the last little bit on the bottom.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 2/27/2017 at 5:06 PM, geoff. said:

Big woofer, good.

Big horn, better.

Very true , I would change just one thing............Big horn loaded woofer and big horn, best. :emotion-21:

On 1/5/2017 at 11:44 AM, istics said:

know the question is sell my modified forte ii's and get some iii's

Why? It is good to see them revived but will they be any better than a 30yr old Forte II. I also modified my Forte IIs and love the sound They have been going strong since 1989 and now that I've done the Tweeter Diaphragms and X-Overs (bi-wired) I look forward to passing them to my kids, they should be good for another 30yrs.

Then there is the question of the sonic benefits of aged wood, as a guitar, does the speaker's cabinet improve sonically as it ages?

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, EJC said:

Why? It is good to see them revived but will they be any better than a 30yr old Forte II. Yes they are definitely better to me. The question is are they that much better than a modified Forte ll, I have no way of knowing how yours sound. I have the original version and the ll's and to me the lll is much better, mine are completely stock. 

I also modified my Forte IIs and love the sound They have been going strong since 1989 and now that I've done the Tweeter Diaphragms and X-Overs (bi-wired) I look forward to passing them to my kids, they should be good for another 30yrs. I would think your right. 

Then there is the question of the sonic benefits of aged wood, as a guitar, does the speaker's cabinet improve sonically as it ages? I have no idea, but I do like how the wood ages. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dtel said:

I finally found the expected price of the IIIs.

At $1800@, I'd do the Crites upgrade and keep the IIs

It appears that selling a pair of IIs will only bring in between $500-$1,000. And that high end is probably high, reality is probably closer to $700. I'd go for the Crites upgrades rather than spending $3,000-$3600 for a marginal difference.

For a 1st time buy, though, I'd probably look to the IIIs, but then again I could pick up a pair of IIs for $500 and mod them and be up and running with a fantastic pair of speakers for under $1,000. Actually, I'm doing this with a pair of Heresy 1s

• Like 2

12 hours ago, EJC said:

Then there is the question of the sonic benefits of aged wood, as a guitar, does the speaker's cabinet improve sonically as it ages?

That is an excellent question, I don't think I've ever heard anything about a speaker's sound changing because of the cabinet aging.

21 minutes ago, SonicSeeker said:

Do they plan on selling these anytime soon?

I haven't been on here much lately so I may have missed this.

I believe the CES video said they will be available in the fall of 2017.

• Like 1