Forte III

oldred

I haven't seen anybody else set up 396's in a treated theater room and A/B them with the consumer line.  I can tell you it's insane and I haven't shut up about them ever since.  They just need to be prettied up a little, which I believe is possible.  The new Forte's are supposed to be voiced similarly.  

54 minutes ago, SonicSeeker said:

Doesn't the 396 only go down to 60hz 

I can't believe with a 15 that is all,  but I believe that is what the spec sheet says? 

It's a "pro" woofer in a smallish sized cabinet, 60hz low end is fairly typical of like speakers where design is intended to go insanely loud with low distortion. I think it would be near impossible to get 32hz at 125db out of the same woofer that belts out frequencies all the way up to 1200hz at the same output levels.

30 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

It's a "pro" woofer in a smallish sized cabinet, 60hz low end is fairly typical of like speakers where design is intended to go insanely loud with low distortion. I think it would be near impossible to get 32hz at 125db out of the same woofer that belts out frequencies all the way up to 1200hz at the same output levels.

Very well stated.

I've heard of people talking about hearing the 396 outside at Rodney's.....But What about same SPL levels as FIII in a room.???  Love to know.

4 minutes ago, jwc said:

I've heard of people talking about hearing the 396 outside at Rodney's.....But What about same SPL levels as FIII in a room.???  Love to know.

I'm not quite sure I understand the highlighted part.

Funny thing about the bass of the 396's.  When we heard the demo outside at Klipsch, several of us thought the sub was hooked up and playing simultaneously.  We actually made them show us the disconnected wires before we'd believe them.  The 396 was sitting on an 1802 sub.  Maybe it was getting bass reinforcement from the 1802 cabinet???  I don't know but for most music it has plenty of bottom end.

^^^^^

Could the bass levels be attributed to the sound levels we were listening? You got to admit they were crankin' pretty good. But what say you about bass response in a much more closed in environment as you are one of the few that can actually comment on real world performance. 

7 minutes ago, richieb said:

^^^^^

Could the bass levels be attributed to the sound levels we were listening? You got to admit they were crankin' pretty good. But what say you about bass response in a much more closed in environment as you are one of the few that can actually comment on real world performance. 

You get more bass in a room where boundaries can be used to reinforce it than outside.

1 minute ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

For HT use, they dont really need to be flat at 30 hz or anything, you're always going to have a sub. 

I'd use a sub with them for 2 channel as well.  Of course I'd use a sub with any speaker that wouldn't do 20 Hz.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to Zach at Klipsch that let me know about these new Forte IIIs! 

Might have to sell my Heresy IIs that me and everyone less than two blocks away has enjoyed for `bout 25 years. Started rebuilding my stereo last fall when my YAH RX1100 started acting up. No tubes here but I still enjoy clean, natural sound with some new  gear. So I've all of the sudden gotta have fuller bass than my "bright" Heresy pair have, was looking at $4400 Cornwalls, these are looking great. Especially interesting to me are the newer Tractrix horns.

The Cali Blk Walnut is beautiful, those gauze-like wool covers very complimentary. Have y`all seen the matte black or almost gray Forte IIIs with that mulit-color tweed `70s looking cover?

Stoked about these new speakers!

forte-black.924.png

Edited by JohnJ
get that png in here

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Thank you to Zach at Klipsch that let me know about these new Forte IIIs! 

Might have to sell my Heresy IIs that me and everyone less than two blocks away has enjoyed for `bout 25 years. Started rebuilding my stereo last fall when my YAH RX1100 started acting up. No tubes here but I still enjoy clean, natural sound with some new  gear. So I've all of the sudden gotta have fuller bass than my "bright" Heresy pair have, was looking at $4400 Cornwalls, these are looking great. Especially interesting to me are the newer Tractrix horns.

The Cali Blk Walnut is beautiful, those gauze-like wool covers very complimentary. Have y`all seen the matte black or almost gray Forte IIIs with that mulit-color tweed `70s looking cover?

Stoked about these new speakers!

forte-black.924.png

@JohnJ are you attending the Pilgrimage in Hope, AR this year?

5 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

@JohnJ are you attending the Pilgrimage in Hope, AR this year?

Thanks dtel's wife, enjoyed your input at this thread! I can't but would love to. Especially on top of starting to save right now to complete my 30yr stereo refurbishment this fall. My Heresys improved so much last year when I replaced the 12 guage Monster I'd been running them on forever. Got some Audioquest Type 4 cables and WOW the sound in all the drivers high, mid and low changed dramatically. Might have to keep them!

Have you listened to your Forte IIIs comparing bi-wiring the HF & LF compared to using the jumper with just the regular one set of wires? That could make a difference in how I do this also, the CXA80 I've got now only carries A + B speakers.

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Have you listened to your Forte IIIs comparing bi-wiring the HF & LF compared to using the jumper with just the regular one set of wires? That could make a difference in how I do this also, the CXA80 I've got now only carries A + B speakers.

Bi-wiring only helps if your single cables are too small to carry the load.  Unless they're grossly undersized you won't hear a difference.

• Like 1