Forte III

oldred

Dtel, thanks for that info. Especially from Roy and from you! Those K396s are highly spoken of around here!

Blow my lack of hair back like the guy in the old Maxell* ad gripping the arm chair with that long scarf & long hair, and also be able to listen to the subtle differences & proper resonance when the volume is very low.

That's exactly what I expect from Klipsh!! 

From the first I was BLOWN AWAY: a KHorn pair from the old Boston Garden on a twenty or thirty watt amp with one speaker in each end of the 1000 sq ft house. Obviously like I said, Klipsch will make another sale with me anyway... these are beauties. It will be a change from my beloved Heresy the small boxed shape for me, but I'm wanting a change in the low end. Plus setting things up different is what is going to happen soon for me irregardless. 

Edited by JohnJ
* thanks dwilawyer

If I recall correctly from years ago, the use of passive bass radiators flared briefly among some speaker manufacturers but was eventually abandoned because, although providing more bass, it was sloppy bass. Did Klipsch discontinue the Forte for this reason? Or, was the Forte the exception, and if so, how?

20 minutes ago, Keith_M said:

If I recall correctly from years ago, the use of passive bass radiators flared briefly among some speaker manufacturers but was eventually abandoned because, although providing more bass, it was sloppy bass. Did Klipsch discontinue the Forte for this reason? Or, was the Forte the exception, and if so, how?

Placement was an issue.  They have to be placed in the right spot.  You can't go shoving them up against the wall and get good results, but that is what people want to do with their speakers.  The forte and forte II bass is not sloppy when deployed correctly.  The discontinuing of the entire line was not because of sloppy bass.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keith_M said:

Never had the experience that kg4...kg5.2...or forteII...was boomy at all.

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Keith_M said:

No expert by any stretch, but I was always under the impression passive radiators were a cross between a sealed cabinet and a ported cabinet.

The Forte 1 and 2 has tight bass, I have both and hear no problems at all with the bass, sounds tight to me. I'm comparing it to Cornwall lll's, Heresy 1 & 2 and MWM's. Now I'm not going to count the MWM because it's a folded horn and sounds different than a direct radiator. But the bass were getting from the Fortes, both models is as tight as either version of Heresys we have, and I would say probably a little tighter than the Cornwalls.

Now this could be any number of things making me feel this way, but to me that's how it appears. In other words IMO :lol:

If I could afford it I would switch out our 6 Forte's for the 3's, but it can't happen.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Dtel, thanks for that info. Especially from Roy and from you! Those K396s are highly spoken of around here!

Blow my lack of hair back like the guy in the old JBL ad gripping the arm chair with that long scarf & long hair, and also be able to listen to the subtle differences & proper resonance when the volume is very low. 

It was a Maxcell tape ad.

There was the photo for the print ads, and the TV commercial where his Butler serves him a Martini and it slides back into his hand.

Those 396s do sound good.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

There was the photo for the print ads, and the TV commercial where his Butler serves him a Martini and it slides back into his hand.

That does jog my memory, appreciate it. Still got some of those good high-bias Maxell tapes today.

On 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM, dwilawyer said:

But they are JBL L100s in the photo. You don't see the tape...

Bruce

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Marvel said:

But they are JBL L100s in the photo. You don't see the tape...

Bruce

The speakers look the same on the original poster, as the one posted.

It looks like the original poster was used in a magazine ad, and got popular?

Went to look online at the original under images, there are some funny posters using the original idea, like a baby and a few others. Kind of surprised the originals can be pretty cheap online.

Feel kinda bad that being a newbie here I sidetracked a whole page. But I love that Darth Vader chillin' & jammin' pic! Think this is the first one, and it looks like he's wearing bell bottom slacks and a tie under the leather jacket not a scarf.

Maxell.jpg