Forte III

oldred

6 minutes ago, chriswhotakesphotos said:

Ah, then how did they compare to the RF-7 II? Was the 7 brighter? 

It's great to hear all these impressions about them.

The RF-7's had slightly less of a mid range presence but otherwise pretty close.

I'd also like to remind everyone that these are my impressions only.  Everybody likes different presentations from speakers.  Not everyone likes what I like.  Others sitting in the same room as me may have vastly different opinions than I do after hearing the exact same thing.  Hopefully they'll be out and distributed around the country soon so that others can make their own opinions.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm sure I'll be scorned for this but I'll put my thoughts out there.  When I was listening to the Forte III's I was listening to the music.  What I mean by that is I was closing my eyes, placing the instruments, hearing all the different nuances in the recording.  When they switched to the K-horns (which were NOT level matched for some reason) I immediately felt I was listening to the speaker.  It's hard to describe.  If they had played them in reverse order I may have felt the same but I have no way to tell.

Thank You for this, already heard what has been said earlier mostly by the chief and dtels wife. I can conceive the presentation could affect someone try to discern any difference. The K-horns weren't matched to each other? Or do you mean the difference in altitude of the drivers. I know there probably isn't another speaker anywhere that could compare to PWK's masterpiece. Well.... maybe from Hope, AR there is.

For what you get to experience at your place your description is very complementary towards the new fortes.

The person who did the demo used a speaker selector to switch which speaker you were hearing.  The K-horns are more efficient than the other 2 pair of speakers so the same signal will be louder on the K-horn than the other speakers.  Level matching would have given us the same dB regardless of speaker selected for a better comparison.  Personally (Heresy!!!) I liked the Forte III better than the other 2 demo'd.

26 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Being a heretic at this forum couldn't be all that bad!!

Forte IIIs @ 99 db sensitivity? vs K-Horns @ 105 it 's easy to see they would sound different.

Well, of course the volume level would be decidedly different, but it's not just about volume, it's about overall presentation and balance.

24 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Well, of course the volume level would be decidedly different, but it's not just about volume, it's about overall presentation and balance.

That was my point.  It's hard to compare 2 speakers when one is playing noticeably louder than the other.

16 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

So why are people so against titanium mid diaphragms in the Forte I/II, Chorus I/II, Quartets?

I wouldn't say people are against them. There are a lot of members that have those diaphragms. The issue with the titanium mid is that you have to install a bandpass to avoid overlapping frequencies - the phenolic had a natural rolloff so it wasn't originally in the crossover.

• Like 2

Just now, Grizzog said:

I wouldn't say people are against them. There are a lot of members that have those diaphragms. The issue with the titanium mid is that you have to install a bandpass to avoid overlapping frequencies - the phenolic had a natural rolloff so it wasn't originally in the crossover.

Yeah I get that, but I mean most seem to say they are too harsh even after have the bandpass, but the people who like them really seem to love them.  Oh well.  Only way i'll ever know is if I try it myself.

5 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Yeah I get that, but I mean most seem to say they are too harsh even after have the bandpass, but the people who like them really seem to love them.  Oh well.  Only way i'll ever know is if I try it myself.

The 396's and 402's (same B&C driver) use titanium if that tells you anything.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2017 at 12:24 PM, jimjimbo said:

I know you don't know my knowledge level....but you get a dooh!

Descriptive and/or technical info only goes so far. I'm probably goin' full-on pelosi (buy `em before I hear `em).

Homerball.gif

Homerball.gif

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I know you don't know my knowledge level....but you get a dooh!

Descriptive and/or technical info only goes so far. I'm probably goin' full-on pelosi (buy `em before I hear `em).

Homerball.gif

Dooh!  But personally, I prefer:

mr plow.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I'm probably goin' full-on pelosi

Just go enough to get it done, no one would appreciate the full on thing, anyway you have got to look better now, don't go full on.

46 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I know you don't know my knowledge level..

Your right but that second statement did have us a little worried, although very funny. 

• Like 1

Only thing I'll hurt dtel is my budget for the rest of 2017!

The nuances of what sounds good to me or to you just can't be explained in sappy Hallmark card words. I read so much of that last year looking for a receiver and then a half-assed new turntable.

One thing I expect from all of y'all Klipsch fans is that the sound we're seeking is true, tonally correct, bass is realistic too. No muddy crap, "No Bullshit!"

Soft & rich for the background or loud at the schoolyard 3 blocks away for glow in the dark frisbee.

Klipsch doesn't have any substitute in my book.

L.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JohnJ said:

GPBusa, I've not listened to much of anything lately except the (insert superlatives) 2015 Accord boombox system or my Heresy IIs that I feel lucky to have had for so long.

Thanks for the images. How did those mumps mid drivers do compared to what you're used to? That and the bass are the improvements I'm excited about compared to what I'm listening to now.

For reference... I've owned both Forte I and Forte II (and Chorus II and Quartets as well)... And loved them all!  But it's been a long time since I had a chance to listen to any of them (I own LaScalas now), so my opinion is based on my memories at this point.

For me the Tractrix midrange in the Forte II and Chorus II was a huge step up from the exponential midrange in Forte I. And from what I briefly heard from the Forte III, the new mumps Tractrix is more of an incremental improvement. It still has that great, smooth midrange, with just a bit bigger/deeper soundstage.

The bass did seem to be better (more solid) and a bit deeper... again compared to my memories of the Forte II. But that could be the room as well. Though, as my pictures show, they were well away from the corner and the walls. So my guess is the slightly bigger cabinet allowed them to tune it just a bit lower.

Overall, I'd say that anyone who buys a pair won't be disappointed. And even with the increased cost they would probably still be the best thing (dollar for dollar) Klipsch makes for home music use. Unless they make a Chorus III...

And compared to a Heresy II, they would be a huge step up the ladder. Just don't listen to any of the big heritage (Khorns or LaScalas) before you make your final decision to purchase.

• Like 1

Without reading through all 28 pages, what's going to be the recommended distance from the wall for a pair of these?  I'd entertain the idea of buying a pair of Forte 3's but I don't want them pulled out a foot or more into the room when I'm already about 12 feet away from the fronts of the CF-3's.  I'd hate to spend that kind of money on speakers just to have them not perform like others have.  Case in point...keeping my CF-3's and selling the Cornwalls.  I don't want to step backwards in low end after spending that kind of money (it won't be at retail/MSRP, mind you....) but I also do want them standing that far out into the room.  The CF-3's are almost up against the wall and they work great like that.

Just curious.