Forte III

oldred

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

That's a shame, they will make it right for you. I'll bet that happened during shipping, no way the inspector would miss that. Even though the box doesn't show any sign of abuse, it can still happen.

I am in complete agreement with this comment. 

@Ro60 couid you please post a picture of the label on the back of your speakers?  

We have visited the Hope,AR facility many times and I have difficulty believing this speaker shipped in this condition. Again, please provide a pic of the label showing serial number, etc. 

Thank you!!!

• Like 3

Thanks Dtel wife for your support. ASAP I will insert a picture of the speaker label. I do not think it is a problem born in transport, there are no signs of blows on the packaging or even on the speaker. It seems not glued! Or the glue gave way when the speaker was already in its shipping box... 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Ro60 said:

Thanks Dtel wife for your support. ASAP I will insert a picture of the speaker label. I do not think it is a problem born in transport, there are no signs of blows on the packaging or even on the speaker. It seems not glued! Or the glue gave way when the speaker was already in its shipping box... 

This is the reason I ask for pic of the rear label. This is an extremely rare occurrence and that label provides a “wealth of information”. 

Thank you!!!

• Like 2

My trusted dealer has already contacted the Italian importer and the speakers will both be replaced. This is to avoid differences in color / grain of the finish and have consecutive serial numbers. The important thing is to solve the problem at best, an inconvenience can happen to anyone. I think the quality control did not fail if the problem occurred when the speaker was already in its box in the warehouse.
Strange that Klipsch does not provide in packaging a silica gel bag to avoid that moisture can in some way alter the wood or cellulose of the membranes.

The sound performance is exciting but I'm disappointed by the choice made for some solutions. Still the grids: if I remove the rubber washers and the joints in the diffuser it is almost impossible to remove them easily and without damaging the wooden edges!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ro60 said:

Strange that Klipsch does not provide in packaging a silica gel bag to avoid that moisture can in some way alter the wood or cellulose of the membranes.

That is odd.  I have bought about 6 or 7  Klipsch speakers brand new and if I am not mistaken, all had the little silica bags in the boxes.

Sorry you are having bad luck with your Forte IIIs but great your dealer is taking care of things.

Bill

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, willland said:

That is odd.  I have bought about 6 or 7  Klipsch speakers brand new and if I am not mistaken, all had the little silica bags in the boxes.

Sorry you are having bad luck with your Forte IIIs but great your dealer is taking care of things.

Bill

Bill I wonder if it is an issue with importing into Europe? Desiccant bags might violate an EU importing code? I know when my company received large boxes/crates from Germany there were literally pounds of bags buried within. But these were machines and or machine parts prone to rust. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I'll bet that happened during shipping, no way the inspector would miss that. Even though the box doesn't show any sign of abuse, it can still happen.

If you have a theory I'd like to hear it, as I have no idea what would cause a separation like that.  Could it have been jarred in shipping somehow?  If it were shipped by air, could freezing temperature/humidity have affected the expansion of that joint?  I've just never seen that happen before.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

If you have a theory I'd like to hear it, as I have no idea what would cause a separation like that.  Could it have been jarred in shipping somehow?  If it were shipped by air, could freezing temperature/humidity have affected the expansion of that joint?  I've just never seen that happen before.

Both of your scenarios probably could've caused that damage. I didn't even think about being flown and the cold causing that. I was just thinking about the inspector. I can see them missing a slight blemish, but don't see how an inspector could miss that whole side of the speaker being separated. It's a shame, and seems to be more common nowadays.

Speaking of the speaker's functionality I noticed another thing: the terminal board, very nice, however, presents the risk of short-circuiting the power amplifiers and that the clamps remain damaged due to an accidental collision (Murphy's law). On Heresy III they were insulated because they were plastic and protected against collisions because they remained inside the pan.

And also for the passive radiator a grid protection would be necessary.

Enough with criticism: the sound is incredible!

• Like 2

I suspect the separation occurred in transit, but, as you suggest, not as a result of shipping trauma.  IMO, the enclosure separated due to poor adhesive, poor application of adhesive, etc., rather than excessive impact during shipping.  I’m not surprised Klipsch is replacing both.  I doubt it looked like that when packed for delivery.

It's difficult to imagine the damaged unit is still properly sealed.  If not, the bass performance will be compromised completely.  Proper evaluation must await the replacements. 

• Like 1

It's entirely possible the box could have been dropped flat on its back or sides and had a strong impact without effecting the packaging.  Those have gone a long way from Arkansas, so there's plenty that could have happened in transit.  I'm sure Klipsch will make it right.  I'd wait to get a replacement pair before doing too much critical listening.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ro60 said:

DizRotus, Harry, I agree with you. In the space of separate panels fiere us boy bay trace of glue or similar. The core of the panel is completely clean!

That makes some sense.  It's possible there was enough drips and drabs of glue to hold the joints together for inspection at the factory, but not enough glue to form a permanent bond that would survive the rigors of shipping.  As @Hasty suggested ^^^ it's possible the box could have been dropped flat which would not create a break in the shipping box, but still have have enough of a jolt to pop that top.

• Like 1

I add another detail: the two speakers have been delivered by the Italian courier in a horizontal position and on a wooden EU-standard platform to which they were wrapped and protected by a thick plastic shrink film.

I personally watched the unloading of the speakers.

More than this...

1 hour ago, Ro60 said:

Forte III024f29265d71ffa44565183955e0f5da.jpg

There is no better looking piece of equipment than the reel-to-reel.  It's audio art.  :emotion-21:

The amps/receivers in that cabinet are in there tight!  It looks great but I'm surprised there isn't any problem with a lack of ventilation since there is no place for the heat to go.

• Like 1