Forte III

oldred

Is anyone lifting their Forte iii speakers off of the ground in order to get the high frequencies more level to the ears when in sitting position? Is there a dramatic difference and would you recommend it as standard practice?

The other question I have is regarding the problem of the grille sitting flush with the cabinet on the Forte iii and people having some problem getting them off without damaging the wood with fingernails (as Ro60 has mentioned): Is there a trick to getting them off, or should I consider keeping washers on the grille as well when I receive them? During a youtube review, the reviewer also mentioned the problem and showed the damage on the corner of his cabinet. Thanks!

• Like 1

The problem of removing the grill was already present on the HERESY III even if the space between the grid and the speaker edge was greater than on the FORTE III. On HERESY III I had inserted a cotton ribbon pointed with a pin inside the frame of the grill. About 2 cm. of this tape came out from the edge making it easy to lift and grip. On FORTE III this is no longer possible due to the close tolerances between the frame and the diffuser edge. I had to leave the rubber washers.

Inviato dal mio SM-G950F utilizzando Tapatalk

Yeah I understand from a review that the grilles are a bit flimsy and will actually warp if you sit them in a corner for awhile rather than putting them back on the speakers. At any rate, thank you Ro60 for taking the time and providing some feedback.

• Like 1

As for height, do not lift it off the ground. The speaker is already high and you would put in low range because you would move the woofer away from the floor. With the HERESY, despite the risers, there was the problem height but with the FORTE III no. In addition, the TRACTRIX horn has a greater angular dispersion and sounds very well.

Inviato dal mio SM-G950F utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah, that's exactly why I was asking. More than one person on the internet recommends getting them off the floor. But, my initial thought was about the loss of bass if you do this. The ratings on this speaker doesn't indicate that it can dig deep into the low end in best case situations. So, I was reluctant to elevate them. I considered going ahead and ordering of a couple bases or lift platforms, just in case. However, after your recommendation, I think I'll just wait and give my ears some time to adjust to something that isn't a tower speaker. Thanks again!

• Like 1

My Heresy IIs sat for thirty years on the floor, in corners more than being end tables on either end of a couch. When I raised them a couple of inches with some pyle psi15s and they were off the floor two inches it actually improved the bass.

With Forte IIIs, man if I'm sitting on the floor ten feet away or standing at my low altitude of 5' 9" I've got no trouble with hearing any of the drivers as in "where is that sweet spot?".  They have ended up being 7" from either side wall in the corners and the space behind them is where that 15" does it's thing pretty well!

Tried an SVS sub and on a few recordings it did improve the bass, but on too many it overlapped the better bass I like from the F3s. It was a fun test with a pipe organ channel on the www and several LPs and cds I tried. From a purist Klipsch Heritage fan I had to get it outta here! 

Khorns or nothing for me in the future!

• Like 1