Jump to content

Forte III


oldred
 Share

Recommended Posts

I applaud Klipsch for reintroducing the Forte III's, especially in an era of soundbars. As I sit here enjoying my Heresy III's, which I understand the Chief Bonehead was involved in updating, with the "wimpy" horns, "no bass", "wrong" capacitors and whatever other flaws the experts on the forum have annointed them with, I am especially happy to hear he was involved with the Forte III. Hopefully they will have even more "flaws" than my Heresy's and be a huge success!

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Kevin S said:

I applaud Klipsch for reintroducing the Forte III's, especially in an era of soundbars. As I sit here enjoying my Heresy III's, which I understand the Chief Bonehead was involved in updating, with the "wimpy" horns, "no bass", "wrong" capacitors and whatever other flaws the experts on the forum have annointed them with, I am especially happy to hear he was involved with the Forte III. Hopefully they will have even more "flaws" than my Heresy's and be a huge success!

Love this post, it's perfect. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

  ----- "in this era of sound bars". Now, hold on there cowboy. I happen to own two sound bars, Klipsch I'll have you know, the big ones, 10b and 20b. The 10b under the 55 in the living room and the 20b downstairs under the 70. Oh, the 20b, nestled between modified KP450 cinemas and KHorns. Sound bars Do have their place --- 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

12 hours ago, jjptkd said:

 

This may be true but in the audio world it would seem seeing is believing and I can't imagine anyone seeing a pair of forte III's next to the Cornwall III's with their wimpy little 701 horn is going to believe that it sounds just as good. People already know and have known for years that the forte II k-61 mid horn sounds better than the original forte 701 horn so why would that not transfer over to the new Cornwall III? Am I missing something?

@jjptkd

I think you may be missing the fact that the bonehead is in charge of R+D and worked with Mr.Klipsch for years.

He MIGHT have a slightly better understanding of what goes in to making an exceptional speaker. More than most if not all of us.

OTOH, Maybe he's been pulling our chain for all these years and is getting undeserved credit for the CF series, Jubes, KP-600s and so many of the other Klipsch designs. If he is in fact an imposter, I say we force him to go to Rodney's, chain him to a bank with nothing but fishing gear, food and adult beverages. He only source of music will be coming from Dr.Harmon's dual 600 stacks. Make him listen to those beasts for hours on end, I'm sure we can crush him

 

Mark

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
1 hour ago, ZEUS121996 said:

If he is in fact an imposter, I say we force him to go to Rodney's, chain him to a bank with nothing but fishing gear, food and adult beverages. He only source of music will be coming from Dr.Harmon's dual 600 stacks. Make him listen to those beasts for hours on end, I'm sure we can crush him

 

I am sure he would appreciate that, well I'm positive he would, especially if he can pick the music.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, richieb said:

 

  ----- "in this era of sound bars". Now, hold on there cowboy. I happen to own two sound bars, Klipsch I'll have you know, the big ones, 10b and 20b. The 10b under the 55 in the living room and the 20b downstairs under the 70. Oh, the 20b, nestled between modified KP450 cinemas and KHorns. Sound bars Do have their place --- 

OK, I have to pull your chain a bit and defend my statement. PWK found Heresy's inadequate for center channel duty between two Klipschorns and designed the Cornwall. Then upgraded himself to the Belle when he designed that. So, as for a soundbar?  Hopefully purchasers of the new Forte's will keep that tidbit of information in mind if contemplating a compatible center channel speaker. But actually, if you're happy with your soundbars, that's what matters. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Kevin S said:

OK, I have to pull your chain a bit and defend my statement. PWK found Heresy's inadequate for center channel duty between two Klipschorns and designed the Cornwall. Then upgraded himself to the Belle when he designed that. So, as for a soundbar?  Hopefully purchasers of the new Forte's will keep that tidbit of information in mind if contemplating a compatible center channel speaker. But actually, if you're happy with your soundbars, that's what matters. 

How about just get it all :)

I have the sound bars, the groove, and pc media speakers......and will add the Forte III

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The introduction of the new Klipsch Forte III is quite an achievement. Obtaining approval to update a classic popular design, including a new midrange tractrix designed by Roy Delgado ("The midrange is where we live"), offering attractive veneer and grill options, and all for $3,600. In a marketplace crowded with far more expensive direct-radiating speakers which won't sound nearly as good as the Forte III folks should be excited. And for the average listener and room arrangement a size far more practical than a Heresy or Cornwall. 

 

"The tweeter is the same as the one in heresy and Cornwall. The mid is a 1.75" diap that has a phase plug I designed. The horn is my latest greatest tractrix used in some commercial product. And the voicing is....like it's supposed to be. Think ki 396..... The bass is tighter and more excursion. It has all the latest I have been taught and have learned. Come to the pilgrimage. I will have a surprise for all."

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

 

@jjptkd

I think you may be missing the fact that the bonehead is in charge of R+D and worked with Mr.Klipsch for years.

 

Mark

I think you're are missing my point completely, I'm in no way trying to discredit the Chief. My point was / is that when the Tractrix k-61 mid horn first hit the scene in the forte II it was compared directly to the same mid horn (701) that is still being used today in the Cornwall III and it came out on top as the better horn, that's not just my opinion that's what Klipsch has promoted themselves. Klipsch has used Tractrix horns almost exclusively in every speaker design since that time.

 

The forte III has an even newer and improved, larger Tractrix horn that has all the latest technology and innovation of the last 20 years since the introduction of the first one in the forte II. If the horn of 20 years ago was deemed better than the 701 in the Cornwall III I'd have to believe that this newest horn would be better by even a larger margin. That's all I'm saying. I'm sure the Cornwall III is a fine speaker and sounds great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jwc said:

Was there walnut in that video?

 

Sorry, I guess that is just cherry. I couldn't tell at first if it was cherry or walnut due to lighting. Looking at the grain, I guess it's cherry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

 

The forte III has an even newer and improved, larger Tractrix horn that has all the latest technology and innovation of the last 20 years since the introduction of the first one in the forte II. 

This is the key point that needs to be explored and confirmed, how good is the new Forte III midrange Tractrix horn compared to current  product, especially Heritage, and new RF-7 III?   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would never second guess Roy.  He is The Man.  Many thanks for all your work.

 

Let me shift the subject up a few octaves to a less controversial subject and ask for his comments.

 

It occurred to me that as the neo-Heritage came to the fore Paul and Roy could have made a clone of the K-77 as is still used on some heritage. There doesn't seem to be any IP protection except for a long expired design patent.  OTOH, given the long standing relation with EV perhaps there is some contract based prohibition.

 

In any event, the successors to the heritage lines such as the Forte, Quartet, Chorus, use an exponential tweeter in several versions.I expect they have better directional control and perhaps high frequency extension.  I suspect that sensitivity is adjusted by magnet strength.

 

Roy, can you tell us about this adventure in design?  Thanks,

 

WMcD

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Klipsch Employees
4 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I think you're are missing my point completely, I'm in no way trying to discredit the Chief. My point was / is that when the Tractrix k-61 mid horn first hit the scene in the forte II it was compared directly to the same mid horn (701) that is still being used today in the Cornwall III and it came out on top as the better horn, that's not just my opinion that's what Klipsch has promoted themselves. Klipsch has used Tractrix horns almost exclusively in every speaker design since that time.

 

The forte III has an even newer and improved, larger Tractrix horn that has all the latest technology and innovation of the last 20 years since the introduction of the first one in the forte II. If the horn of 20 years ago was deemed better than the 701 in the Cornwall III I'd have to believe that this newest horn would be better by even a larger margin. That's all I'm saying. I'm sure the Cornwall III is a fine speaker and sounds great.

tell me, if you were mentored, taught, hanging out and were loved by a person that you would have considered a father figure in your life, would you insult him?

 

its become obvious that you have not read or understand my relationship with paul......so once again i put this out there.  paul's real heritage speakers are what paul built the company on.  paul and i had many discussions on his speakers and every time i got the honor of working on them, i did so with the utmost respect.  while he was alive, i always got his approval for things.  tractrix was the toughest but thru the help of a mutual friend, he accepted it, which further widen my admiration for paul.  think about it....at his age (late 80's), to still have an open mind to make changes and advance amazed me.  but paul is not alive anymore.....and we never discussed updating his speakers from a horn perspective.  the jub was the first one he wanted to do with a tractrix horn along with his mods to the horn.  

 

with the forte ii, i had started to play with tractrix, paul was there to advise and encourage me with his rebuttal questions.  that is why the forte ii and quartet and chorus ii used my first generation tractrix.  to get the chance to reintroduce and update the forte, and adding some of things i was taught and learned, yes i added all i could....because i know paul would wanted it that way and would have approved.  but it is my intention of honoring paul is why i will not update his speakers.  i will never say never....but right now, i would not do that to pauls speakers or his legacy.  paul just means alot to me.  and i would have to do alot of remembering and meditation to make sure that paul would want that.

 

now do you understand?

  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Klipsch Employees
2 hours ago, WMcD said:

I would never second guess Roy.  He is The Man.  Many thanks for all your work.

 

Let me shift the subject up a few octaves to a less controversial subject and ask for his comments.

 

It occurred to me that as the neo-Heritage came to the fore Paul and Roy could have made a clone of the K-77 as is still used on some heritage. There doesn't seem to be any IP protection except for a long expired design patent.  OTOH, given the long standing relation with EV perhaps there is some contract based prohibition.

 

In any event, the successors to the heritage lines such as the Forte, Quartet, Chorus, use an exponential tweeter in several versions.I expect they have better directional control and perhaps high frequency extension.  I suspect that sensitivity is adjusted by magnet strength.

 

Roy, can you tell us about this adventure in design?  Thanks,

 

WMcD

 

 

hi gil.  how are you?  you coming to the pilgrimage?

 

adventure...hmmm.  i designed a proto horn as a new project had been proposed; the heresy x.  first generation tractrix horn.  i always loved the sound of the forte so i wanted a similar voicing.  i had the plant cut a motorboard that had a cutout for this proto horn.  they built up this proto  and i began to play.  i wanted to study this horn and wanted data to discuss with paul.  i finally did a crossover to see what coorealtion the sound had with data.  i was listening one day and our national sales manager came in and decided to listen with me.  i was doing an a/b listening session.  he was surprised at the difference in sound.  he asked me what horn that was and i just said a proto.  about a week later he was back in the offce and he wanted to listen again.  one thing lead to another and the sales manager said why dont we use this horn in the x project?  i didnt want to.  i explained that i still had to talk to paul about my findings and other tidbits to see what paul thought.  paul was curious as to correlation and that started a years long path to get/learn the language to satisfy pauls curiosity but that is another (long) story.  he agreed but i kept telling the sales guys that this horn was NOT ready.  well it went into the heresy x project, later called the quartet.  it was then decided that we should update the forte and chorus; another story.  the reason we didnt do a tractrix tweeter was that i didnt have one designed, LOL!  

 

i hope that answers your question gil.  if not ask me and i will try.

 

with the forte iii, i saw the opportunity to update with as many tricks as i could...i am convinced that paul would approve.  

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...