Bi-Wire and Bi-Amp...Hmmmmm

SilverSport

well, since starting my last thread on gifting updated/upgraded kg2s or RB-5s to a friend, I decided that I had never tried the RB-5s in Bi-Wire or Bi-Amp mode using on of my digital Panasonic SA-XR receivers (SA-XR70 to be exact) so why not now while I have some stuff pulled out and taken apart?

listening to the same music I had been "testing" the kg2s and RB-5s before on, Oink Floyd/The Division Bell I'm currently listening in both Bi-Wire and Bi-Amp...

A quick primer for those who don't have speakers or a receiver capable of this I'll share and feel free to respond if I did something wrong as this is my first try...

On the Panasonic SA-XR70 I need have speaker wire connected to both A and B panels (what would normally be for 2 sets (4) of speakers...

Next connect to both sets of terminals on the rear of the RB-5s and remembering to remove the gold colored jumpers between the terminals...

Push both A and B on the Panasonic front to initiate Bi-Wire...check to see if that's lit on the receiver face...

Check to see that Bi-Amp is lit...

The Panasonic SA-XR70 is 100wpc and should be using more than 1 amp each for the high frequency and low frequency of each speaker...

thus far, it sounds like it could be a bit louder than it was before initiating Bi-Wire and Bi-Amp but I don't notice much of a change...I'll keep listening 

Please feel free to share or relate any flaws in my set up or your own experiences and thoughts.

Bill

With the XR you should experiment with tweaking the delay setting now. :emotion-21:

My experience was similar to yours, a little louder right off the bat...but with the addition of improved detail in the crossover region and a significant improvement in stereo width / depth.

Been running my system bi-amped the same way through my Pioneer SC-87 since last May. It has a setting by where I can run the front three (L,C,R) channels bi-amped...using up all the spare amplifiers same as the XR.

LSbi-amp.JPG

• Like 1

I've experienced the same thing, definitely seems to get more power to the speakers. People will argue all day and night as to whether it sounds any better or not. I'd think results would likely be different for each situation but done properly it won't hurt anything or make anything worse and you stand a good chance of at least some improvement.

• Like 2

Quiet_Hollow

when trying the Bi-Wire/Bi-Amp settings, do I still only have the left and right speakers set up for 2 channel stereo listening or do I have the Center and Surrounds as well as Sub-Woofer settings activated on the Multi-Control and Input Selector???

I checked this and of course was surprised to see all of this activated...I naturally deactivated everything while continuing to listen...

Bill

Bill, PM sent.

I reviewed the manual for the XR70, and its bi-amp/bi-wire is only a 2 ch feature. Any multi-channel input and the amps swap back.

Also, the xr70 differs from the xr57 in that the latter has MF/HF balance and delay adjustment available when in bi-amp mode. Probably had you wondering what I was talking about.

no worries at all and as always, thanks for the help...I have an XR57 on its way to me to try...I missed out on the description that the Center Surrounds section are inoperative and I am hoping this just need an adjustment I can make on the receiver itself with one of my remotes (the XR57 on its way to me has no remote either) but I only want to use it for 2 channel anyway...just hoping this won't affect Bi-Amping and Dual Amping...

Bill

going from regular set up to the Dual Amp drive netted me a slight increase in volume...

going from regular set up to the Bi-Wire AND Bi-Amp netted me a slight increase in volume AND a slight increase in detail with perhaps a larger soundstage...

Bill

Perhaps I notice this more because of the smaller RB-5 speakers but at the cost of a second set of speaker wires connected to a receiver I already own I find this experiment worth it...

As the RB-5s are the only speakers I possess that allow this, I'm good with that and I don't feel the need to find a way to do this to my kg2s, Heresys, Quartets or Chorus lls but I really appreciate all the information you have shared with me and hopefully the knowledge I'll maintain from it...

Thanks guys!

Bill

On 1/7/2017 at 3:14 PM, derrickdj1 said:

You can listen to strictly 2 ch or enjoy the multi-channel audio.  Most pure 2 ch guys don't use the mult-ch feat. unless playing a BD, SACD or something will music in the other channels.

I understand...I only want 2 channel for this but I didn't understand about the other amplifiers active with Bi-Amping and Bi-Wiring...thanks!

Bill