Anybody use this Mini DSP ?

jason str

I have the same thing in the normal version.  I like the features but the gain structure isn't all that great, you can clip the inputs pretty easily, even after changing the internal jumpers.  The HD version like you're looking at specifically fixes this problem.  The engineers apparently wanted to maintain the ability for the normal version to run off of USB power so it is what it is.  I know a guy who is a genius with these things if you had any specific questions.  

48 minutes ago, jason str said:

My concern is mainly floor noise and if it subtracts from sound quality in any way.

I've had the classic 2 x 4 and sold it a while ago to fund the 2x4HD

My only complaint with the old one was the gain wasn't that great. The new one is MUCH better + I like the ability to go in directly with digital or USB. There's no objectionable noise floor or artifacts that I can discern.

In short ... 

buy it

• Like 1

Only sound quality issue I've ever ran in to is when it gets close to the red in the interface, which is clipping, then it sounds like trash.  Problem is, it clips at lower levels than it's supposed to.  HD version supposedly doesn't have that problem.  Mark Seaton even recommends and sells the HD version, I think he claimed the normal version clips at like half a volt.  

3 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Only sound quality issue I've ever ran in to is when it gets close to the red in the interface, which is clipping, then it sounds like trash.  Problem is, it clips at lower levels than it's supposed to.  HD version supposedly doesn't have that problem.  Mark Seaton even recommends and sells the HD version, I think he claimed the normal version clips at like half a volt.  

I agree. Beyond that, the HD version supports FIR filtering (though it doesn't have as many taps as some of its more powerful brethen). It also has a nifty mixer that (at least my version of software) for the classic mini dsp didn't.

I listened to a system yesterday using the miniDSP 2x4 HD. The owner allowed me to pause the music and turn the volume control to max. I did NOT hear any hiss. Considering that and some of the above comments, the HD version is probably a better choice. I think I will buy one for my next Bi-amp or subwoofer project. I believe you also need to purchase for $10. and download the applicable software, is that correct?

8 minutes ago, jason str said:

the software is additional but not sure why they would do that.

Because there are multiple plug-ins that you can get and not just one.  You could get all, or one of four, or three, or whatever.  If you want one it's $10, two it's $20, etc.  They do different things.  Some vendors like Cross Spectrum throw one in for free though, you get a coupon code in the box, or at least mine did.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

I listened to a system yesterday using the miniDSP 2x4 HD. The owner allowed me to pause the music and turn the volume control to max. I did NOT hear any hiss. 

I'm not sure that would be a good test, if you heard more hiss by turning the volume up, that just means the preamp is noisy. :)  

Yes that seems like a good reason for not pre-loading the miniDSP, I was also just thinking the software download may be their way to provide the user with the latest version right from the start.

I should have stated that we turned up the amplifier gain, my point was that I did not hear any hiss.

20 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Because there are multiple plug-ins that you can get and not just one.  You could get all, or one of four, or three, or whatever.  If you want one it's $10, two it's $20, etc.  They do different things.  Some vendors like Cross Spectrum throw one in for free though, you get a coupon code in the box, or at least mine did.  

Shame they have to nickel and dime you after you buy their hardware.

Each plug in is $10 for all 4 outputs or for each one ?

2 hours ago, jason str said:

Each plug in is $10 for all 4 outputs or for each one ?

Each plugin is like an operating system for the device and you only use one at a time but yes that includes all outputs.  Look at the varying functionality of the ones for the 2x4 platform and you'll see.  The HD version doesn't have as many.  

https://www.minidsp.com/products/plugins/2x4-plug-ins

3 hours ago, jason str said:

The only additional thing I wish for would be 2 more outputs at the same price point i.e.  a 2 x 6 HD :) - allows true active  3 way. The 4x10 HD is a bit too much $$ for me plus it doesn't have the input options that the 2x4HD offers.