Surround System Advice - RS-7 and KLF 10 vs KLF 20

zdude

My surround system was front R&L Vintage Cornwalls, C-7 center, RS-7's side surround and KLF 10's rear surround plus HGS18 sub. Sold the Cornwalls, thought we were moving into a condo, we're not. I will replace the front R&L with KLF 30's, but I've been considering selling the RS-7's and KLF 10's to be replaced by KLF 20's. This will be dropping from 7.1 to 5.1 system. What are some thoughts on this and what are the value of the 7's and 10's, both are in excellent condition, bought the 10's years ago when they were still made and they really don't have a lot of use on them.

12 hours ago, zdude said:

My surround system was front R&L Vintage Cornwalls, C-7 center, RS-7's side surround and KLF 10's rear surround plus HGS18 sub. Sold the Cornwalls, thought we were moving into a condo, we're not. I will replace the front R&L with KLF 30's, but I've been considering selling the RS-7's and KLF 10's to be replaced by KLF 20's. This will be dropping from 7.1 to 5.1 system. What are some thoughts on this and what are the value of the 7's and 10's, both are in excellent condition, bought the 10's years ago when they were still made and they really don't have a lot of use on them.

Keep the 10's and put them in the back surround position with the 20's directly at the side surround to maintain 7.1 channels.

If not then the 20's will do a hell of a job by themselves...

I have no idea on the value of the RS-7. But the 10's... Depending on finish, condition and your location, they could go for $200-$500. When I see them on eBay, they're usually toward the higher end of that range and Craigslist sales tend to be lower. Overall $350 is probably an average price.

GPBusa, we talked of this a few months back. I have pretty much decided to purchase a nice set of 30's and do the Crite's mods for the front. I believe he has some upgrade available for the C-7 too. I'm not in a great hurry, still renovating the house we are moving to so I have time to do some of the speaker box bracing I have seen by M.J. I'd like to find a set of 20's and upgrade them too with Crite's stuff and speaker box work. My only real question is the RS-7's, they are not in the KLF line but they have always performed great. This will probably be my last big speaker project and I'd like to get it as right as I can. My 10's are nearly like new, but I'm sure there are upgrades available for them.  Any future upgrade to this system will be in the video, DVD and receiver/amp department.

Right now an Onkyo TX-NR828, a Harman Kardon 200 watt amp, OPPO 103dvd player, Velodyne HGS18 Subwoofer and Samsung 72" DLP -this is my Home Theater,

My wife's system: Pioneer Elite VSX82TSX receiver, Pioneer Elite DVD/SACD player, Sunfire Jr. True Subwooer, 4 Optimus Pro LX7 speakers (Modified) , a center channel Optimus Pro CS5 (all the Optimus feature ribbon tweeters and  are really pretty nice "small" speakers that are better than any Bose system my friends have) and a Panasonic 42" Plasma.

I also have a Harman Kardon 8000 receiver and a Carver parametric eq that I'd like to put with some decent speakers  (RS-7's maybe?)for a garage system - a work in progress. I'll probably move the Panasonic Plasma TV to the garage for football games while I work on motorcycles(man, I love this stuff!) Probably a 55" or 65" 4K tv  for the wife's system then.

Edited by zdude
spelling issues
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, zdude said:

GPBusa, we talked of this a few months back. I have pretty much decided to purchase a nice set of 30's and do the Crite's mods for the front. I believe he has some upgrade available for the C-7 too. I'm not in a great hurry, still renovating the house we are moving to so I have time to do some of the speaker box bracing I have seen by M.J. I'd like to find a set of 20's and upgrade them too with Crite's stuff and speaker box work. My only real question is the RS-7's, they are not in the KLF line but they have always performed great. This will probably be my last big speaker project and I'd like to get it as right as I can. My 10's are nearly like new, but I'm sure there are upgrades available for them.

Crites has crossover update kits for all of the KLF series as well as complete brand new crossovers.

And the titanium diaphragms for all but the 10's. Though the 10's tweeter may match something else and just has a different part number.

He also recently started selling a new midrange compression driver (A-55G) that supposedly will work in the KLF's as well (according to a post on here anyway).

I had a pair of 20's that I had to reglue due to loose panels. Fairly easy and straightforward. I didn't do any other internal bracing, but I've seen MJ's posts.

Good luck with your setup...