Hopefully my last question for abit anyhow

mr clean

Im still trying to get it right as far as sound goes. Running tone controls flat has helped a lot but still getting headache fatigue etc. I usually not a sissy boy and love the sound of the rp280f speakers. My question is this. Ive been running the speakers with some toe in and love how they sound that way but I think thats a lot of the problem now that I've moved them. Have a headache now so its hard to tell for sure but it seems as though the little constant ringing sound in my head has eased a lot  by pointing the speakers straight out from the wall. Do most of you toe them in as I've saw talked about or straight? Sorry for all the questions but I'm really wanting to keep these without buying aspirin by the case. Having a headache by the end of every music listening session  is getting old. Thanks in advance!

Just a thought here, but you might want to try turning the treble back a bit.  I say this because the speakers may not be fully broken in yet.  I haven't experienced any headaches with my 280's, but I do remember during the break-in period that the treble would occasionally feel a bit harsh.  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Klipsch are horn loaded speakers with great directivity.  Because of that, I don't like them pointed at my ears.  This goes for surrounds also.  Two schools of thought on setup: 1.) point them toward the shoulder and the convergence is behind the MLP, 2.) aim them to converge about 2 ft. in front of the MLP.  Tweak things from there to taste.  Some avr's like Pioneer, have an X-curve that will cut the highs starting around 2-3 kHz and up to attenuate brightness.

Try not to sit near a wall and have some things behind the MLP to diffuse and breakup reflections.  Some room Tx's with furnishing may help.

• Like 1

This is not a speaker response, but a health response.  Are you sure you are OK?  Headaches like that are not normal.  And chronic severe headaches are not caused by speakers.

I have heard of some larger speakers pressurizing a room, and that can cause a headache if played loud and you are not used to it, but I don't think that's what's going on here. 

Could your headache be caused by something else?  Do you have gas heat or dryer?  You might want to get a carbon monoxide detector and check things out.  It could be your eye prescription has changed and you have eye strain.  Have you stopped using coffee or Pepsi/Coke?  A caffeine withdrawal headache will make you think the top of your head is coming off for about two weeks.

If you don't have a history of headaches I really think it would be in your best interest to get checked out by your family physician.  You are assuming it is speakers causing your headaches, but what if it's not?

If there's one thing we've learned around here, it's never assume.

• Like 1

No 

9 hours ago, wvu80 said:

This is not a speaker response, but a health response.  Are you sure you are OK?  Headaches like that are not normal.  And chronic severe headaches are not caused by speakers.

I have heard of some larger speakers pressurizing a room, and that can cause a headache if played loud and you are not used to it, but I don't think that's what's going on here. 

Could your headache be caused by something else?  Do you have gas heat or dryer?  You might want to get a carbon monoxide detector and check things out.  It could be your eye prescription has changed and you have eye strain.  Have you stopped using coffee or Pepsi/Coke?  A caffeine withdrawal headache will make you think the top of your head is coming off for about two weeks.

If you don't have a history of headaches I really think it would be in your best interest to get checked out by your family physician.  You are assuming it is speakers causing your headaches, but what if it's not?

If there's one thing we've learned around here, it's never assume.

No I don't  get headaches very often most of the time but thanks for the concern. I have to disagree about the headaches and speakers though. A month ago I would have agreed with you. I think the hot tone controls and the toe in as derrickdj1 above is talking about were the two problems that were causing the problems. Im listening to puddle of mudd right now and for about the last hour I can say I'm not getting the fatigue and headaches at all. I had them turned in to where they were hitting me right in the face. Lots of sparkle but hard on the ears. Facing straight out has helped a ton and only had them pointed in some because I was reading it was best with this brand. I think with the wider angle horns this will work better and the speakers have better balance with the bass and mids coming in better than before. Man I never knew listening to music could be such hard work lol! I think the slow kid in the room will be ok now. Now I understand these truly have some great bass! Thanks guys and Peace. 

Since I'm arguing with you, and not winning...(it's like we're married :rolleyes:)

You can still do the easy thing and check to see if you have wax build-up in your ears.  If your ears are sealed off, the sound could easily pressurize your head and give you a headache.  I have heard of this happening.

I'll check up on you in the morning to see if you're doing any better, sweetie-pie.  :wub:

• Like 2

• Moderators

So is the question how to adjust the toe in of speakers in  order to avoid chronic, daily headaches?

It depends on how far apart they are and how far they are from the wall, coupled with how far you sit back from them.  There is a simple formula to eliminate headaches but you have to input all of those distances.  Of course, it could have nothing to do with your speakers, the government is known to bombard some citizens with microwaves to make you think speakers are causing headaches.

Seriously?  

I think you should probably see a neurologist and ask him if it is your amplification and if he has a suggested alternative, while you are there you might ask him/her in passing to explain what rebound headaches are and some of the ways they have available these days to rule out a brain tumor. 

Short of that I would buy a pair of new Klipschapter Heritage headphones and try those for 30 days, if no headaches you know where to go from there.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

So is the question how to adjust the toe in of speakers in  order to avoid chronic, daily headaches?

It depends on how far apart they are and how far they are from the wall, coupled with how far you sit back from them.  There is a simple formula to eliminate headaches but you have to input all of those distances.  Of course, it could have nothing to do with your speakers, the government is known to bombard some citizens with microwaves to make you think speakers are causing headaches.

Seriously?  

I think you should probably see a neurologist and ask him if it is your amplification and if he has a suggested alternative, while you are there you might ask him/her in passing to explain what rebound headaches are and some of the ways they have available these days to rule out a brain tumor. 

Short of that I would buy a pair of new Klipschapter Heritage headphones and try those for 30 days, if no headaches you know where to go from there.

I'm pretty sure my only illness is a dumba$$ attack! I just got off work so I'm going to listen to some music and make sure everything is ok.  I will let you know how it goes. I'm pretty sure I'm cured lol.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, mr clean said:

I'm pretty sure my only illness is a dumba$$ attack! I just got off work so I'm going to listen to some music and make sure everything is ok.  I will let you know how it goes. I'm pretty sure I'm cured lol.

I hope so, headaches can be a sign of something more serious.

Of course it could also be a wife in a bad mood, kids, boss, living at high altitude, smoking, drinking, etc., etc.

I had a bad day at work as we lost steam at a large chemical plant when it was 6 degrees outside and the wife has been less than pleasant after I got home. I don't smoke and drink very little anymore. No headache so far. Let's see what some music does. When I was younger I saw a sign that said drink Canada Dry. I went up there lol!

• Like 3

6ft 200 lbs. I like long walks on the beach rainbows oh you wondered how overweight I was. I was confused:) I'm a little overweight but eat pretty good 6 days a week and cheat one. Feel great for 53 with no health issues. Never had any broken bones or any major illness. Fit as a fiddle.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 1/7/2017 at 5:51 PM, mr clean said:

I had a bad day at work as we lost steam at a large chemical plant when it was 6 degrees outside and the wife has been less than pleasant after I got home. I don't smoke and drink very little anymore. No headache so far. Let's see what some music does. When I was younger I saw a sign that said drink Canada Dry. I went up there lol!

Now that's funny, drink Canada Dry.  Never heard that one before.

I don't drink any more.

I don't drink any less either.

• Like 2

Seems to me like you probably need to improve your taste in music.  Your probably playing bad music on the nights you get headaches and good music on the nights you have none.

Stay away from The Beatles, Barry Manilow, and most of all, Elvis.

Ignore those other guys, yes Klipsch speakers can give you headaches, especially when when paired with poor playback equipment, and bad amplification. These are horns, and badly done can sound like an announcer at a stadium on game day.

• Like 3

On 1/7/2017 at 6:51 PM, mr clean said:

On 1/7/2017 at 7:08 PM, mr clean said:

6ft 200 lbs. I like long walks on the beach rainbows oh you wondered how overweight I was. I was confused:) I'm a little overweight but eat pretty good 6 days a week and cheat one. Feel great for 53 with no health issues. Never had any broken bones or any major illness. Fit as a fiddle.

At least your sense of humor is still there. Drink Canada Dry! I like that.

Let us know if you're feeling ok...and how your speakers are sounding.

I am cured! The toe in and running the controls flat got me 75 percent better but still not quite right. I did this before reading but checked online after the fact and others have done it also. Put a sheet of toilet paper over the tweeter. Clean preferred:) I can't believe it helped but it is night and day.  So far anyhow. Have others on here done anything like this on here? I will let you know how it goes over the next few days. Or maybe I'm just losing it. Anyhow the head feels fine after a few hours of music. Peace!

• Like 1

I will tell you those two little pieces of toilet paper kept me from sending these back for a refund. The guys that designed the speakers would most likely like to beat me for this but it took a fuzz of the sizzle out of the upper end out and brought up the lows and made the mids stand out more.  Still plenty of highs. Sounds great! This is just to my old abused ears but I swear the headaches are gone. I was reading recording studios used to do this with yamaha ns10 speakers.I  just use the griil to hold in place from the top and it works. If you ever get fatigue from your speakers give this a try.  It worked for me.