Tri-Amped K-Horns

Ol_mcdonald

Looking to freshen up my vintage K-horns after several decades. Building a new house and on a budget but in need of some updating to my system in the process of moving. I am interested in tri-amping my K-horns using a dbx DriveRack PA2 for crossover. Love the Xilica but its priced in the upper atmosphere with al the rest of the esoteric stuff I can't afford.  just interested in seeing if anyone else has done this and their thoughts,

Thanks in advance!

12 hours ago, Fjd said:

At the link below, there is a nice thread titled "I finally got around to triamping my K-horns" that was started by Greg Oshiro back on December 9, 2011. 

I'll take that as a yes!...lol A LOT more info than I ever expected, thanks for the link. This is something I want to do. I know PWK said what the world needs is a good five watt amp, but should I be overly concerned about amp power (max/min) to the MF and HF with the DriveRack handling gain adlustments? I have a Crown 300 w amp signed up for the job but...seems excessive, albeit budget friendly. 

Anybody ever used any of this equipment?? I ran across it on ebay. I love the dbx DriveRack but this has 8 channels...Sub/LF/MF/HF....like the Xilica at a fraction of the price. NEVER heard of this company before now...Mexican company.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUNKER-BPD-1-Processor-Spk-Mng-alt-DBX-DriveRack-PA-PA2-Behringer-DCX2496-/151999513065?hash=item2363e081e9:g:nygAAOxy4c5RuRk~

• 2 weeks later...

Ol_mcdonald--

This is also a good resource:

I would suggest using a Yamaha SP2060 or the Electro-voice DSP (model number escapes me at the moment). I've heard rumors that the mini-dsp is good also. Chris A has been the most prolific author of bi/tri-amping here and it is worth reading his posts. IIRC there are Klipsch factory settings for the Electro-voice DSP that will get you off on the correct foot.

--Greg

Just a reminder.

If you're willing to mount the tweeter on top on a block, then push it back to be aligned with the mid, you only need a simple 2 in 4 out crossover.

If you have a tube amp with a 16Ω tap you only need a single high quality cap to connect the tweeter (to the 16Ω tap), and you hook the mid to the 8Ω tap.

No autoformer needed, the transformer is doing that function now.

29 minutes ago, djk said:

Just a reminder.

If you're willing to mount the tweeter on top on a block, then push it back to be aligned with the mid, you only need a simple 2 in 4 out crossover.

If you have a tube amp with a 16Ω tap you only need a single high quality cap to connect the tweeter (to the 16Ω tap), and you hook the mid to the 8Ω tap.

No autoformer needed, the transformer is doing that function now.

How does this work? It seems like the mid and tweeter are both off the same channel, so only a HPF can be used. Then you are stuck with a 1st order tweeter filter, and you can't adjust the gain, change the crossover point, perform any equalization or linearization, or do anything but correct time delay without rolling in passive components. 

" Then you are stuck with a 1st order tweeter filter, and you can't adjust the gain, change the crossover point, perform any equalization or linearization, or do anything but correct time delay without rolling in passive components.  "

Not correct,

Why are you making this assumption?