Dolby Atmos setup

Ashourka

Which Receiver will you be using to power Atmos?  After Onkyo purchased Pioneer I think they have the edge for the 3100 or 3030 receivers.  You can pick up a 3030 for about $1500 and it has multiple DAC's built in if you want to bypass all things digital and hear two channel for music.  I know someone else might feel different but it is a great receiver that can produce some amazing sound - simple or complex.

The system you mention is a 7.1.2 configuration - why not go for the 7.1.4 version instead?  I use 7.1.4 and think it is great for movies - the receiver has enough certifications to make your head spin - it will light your speakers up however you want them.  I would strongly encourage 7.1.4 - you'll regret it if you go with 7.1.2 - why not have full height effect?

One last consideration is your sub.  I have never had a ton of luck with Klipsch subwoofers - if you can stretch for a Velodyne subwoofer it would be money well invested.  Audioholics recently reviewed subwoofers and has some clear recommendations based on room size.  Given you have 4600 cubic feet - you'll need some power.  

Good luck on your system build - share a photo or two when you get it up and running!

1. Go on ebay, buy up a pile of old Bose "cubies" or Anthony Gallo-types and pepper the ceiling with them.

2. Spend a fortune on trying to wire them all up...cosmetically if possible.

On a serious note...

There is no such thing as "Best" where Dolbly Atmos is concerned. The real magic lies in its high bandwidth, object-orientated signal encoding and processing. Not littering a room with as many speakers as possible.:emotion-55:

200.gif#50

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Quiet_Hollow said:

There is no such thing as "Best" where Dolbly Atmos is concerned. The real magic lies in its high bandwidth, object-orientated signal encoding and processing. Not littering a room with as many speakers as possible.:emotion-55:

So true.  Some Dolby Atmos films will be great and other not so great.  Many of the Pioneer's also have double DAC.  The standing wave correction feature is a major plus for MCACC Pro.  Dolby Atmos is a nice feature but, it is just a small increment in the over picture of a good HT setup.  Systems without Dolby Atmos are not obsolete and can easily give  a great sound presentation.