Newbie to forum just wanted to post pics of new RF-7Ii w/ RC64II in cherry

knackll

Hey guys, sorry for not responding sooner as I was traveling for business. Anyways, I certainly appreciate all the advice and the comments. No worries about offending me. As for the center, the shelf unfortunately was not tall enough and I will need to customize the hardware mountings to accommodate the adjustment.

To be completely honest , it is not angled, and yes I could angle it but to my suprrise the center is over powering the fronts. When watching any movie I need to adjust the level otherwise when the action begins it's so overpowering that the fronts become washed out. It's a simple adjustment on my Yamaha RX-A3050. I have made that and it sounds incredible.  Because of that, I have absolutely no intention of moving it.

Anyone considering this center channel should know it is loud.

The set up is about 15' away and there is no problem with hearing each channel. Nothe shown in the picture,  I have Klipsch surrounds, rear presence, front presence. The speakers in the cubby above are the front presence. I acknowledge that they are not really in the correct position and need to relocate them. I'm using and old klipsch center channel speaker grill to cover them.

I've just received my new Atlantic adjustable speaker stands for the rear presence speakers and am playing with their location.

All in all, I'm extremely satisfied with the new RF-7IIs and the RC64II. I was very lucky the stand matched the cherry almost perfectly. I did have to make some adjustments to fit the RF-7IIS. 

I absolutely appreciate any and all advice and comments. Obviously, I have serious audio equipment that moves me into a league of elites. Some of the best ways to learn is from advce of others who either have the equipment or have made similar mistakes and know how to correct it.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

• Like 1

On Saturday, January 07, 2017 at 10:20 AM, Ceptorman said:

Awesome setup, you sure have a wall of sound coming at you...congrats. That's an interesting stand. It seems to match the RF7ll cherry veneer, or did you stain it that way? Welcome.

Bill

No, the stand just happened to match, luckily for me.

Thank you

On Saturday, January 07, 2017 at 10:49 AM, jjptkd said:

Very nice! I may end up going the RF-7 II route if they get discounted enough with the roll out of the new product line. I agree with the center speaker positioning, it should be titled up and aimed directly at your face / ear level, maybe even set it under your TV if possible. Congrats on the new set up and enjoy!

I thought the same until I powered it up. And wow! I ended up having to adjust it down. It was seriously over powering the fronts during movie dialog and action. If I wouldn't of heard it I wouldn't of believe it myself.

On Saturday, January 07, 2017 at 1:00 PM, Youthman said:

Another suggestion is to angle the RF-7ii inwards slightly so that the horns are aimed slightly behind your listening position.  Play with the angle as you will find sometimes moving them 1" can make a huge difference in your soundstage.

I will try it to see how it sounds, although I'mnot sure how I'll like the astetics of it. The receiver I'm pushing this with is a Yamaha RX-A3050, and it allows me to adjust the height and listing potions of each speaker. It in itself is incredible. So I may also try adjusting that if needed.

Currently, the sounds are crisp and as clear as can be. I really couldn't imagine much more improvement however I'm sure I'll be surprised. 

Thank you for the advice. 

On Saturday, January 07, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Youthman said:

In all fairness, have you visited his home?  ;)  Sounds to me like the OP loves how they sound already.  Any improvements he can do (angle, distance, etc) would merely be an improvement to what his ears are already hearing.

You are absolutely correct. I must say that switching out my Klipsch ICON series style speakers and going to these RF-7IIs and RC64II to the style of listening to a whole different level. Actually planet to be honest. Just adding them without any adjustments was insanely different. I was very nervous about spending the type of cash without knowing what type of improvement there was to be had. Words cannot describe how happy I am with the sound quality. I never knew what I was missing until now.

Thank you, 

On Saturday, January 07, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Budman said:

thats funny Charles. whats the temp up there, its like 3 here        haven't been out in days

Knack, congrats on your new speakers. when i had the same setup my cherry veneer was really dark and yours look really light. enjoy

Thank you sir!

On Saturday, January 07, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Youthman said:

OP, the key is to try different things as acoustics, distance, angles do indeed effect the overall sound of your setup.  I remember how much I loved it when I got my RF-83 and an RC-7.  I had the RC-7 above the TV and someone from this forum suggested I angle the center downwards towards my listening position.  I could not believe how much better the center sounded after doing so.  We are not trying to be critical, we just want your setup to be the absolute best it can be.  Oh yeah......they like to be played loud too.  :D

I agree especially as it pertains to these speakers. Who knows, I might be pleasantly surprised to still be missing something. I'll definitely make some adjustments per everyones recommendation. 

Thank you!

26 minutes ago, knackll said:

to my suprrise the center is over powering the fronts. When watching any movie I need to adjust the level otherwise when the action begins it's so overpowering that the fronts become washed out.

Keep this in mind, not only is the center channel responsible for most of the dialog, it is also responsible for a large portion of the sound effects/music score.

Bill

6 minutes ago, willland said:

Keep this in mind, not only is the center channel responsible for most of the dialog, it is also responsible for a large portion of the sound effects/music score.

Bill

My point was that when not properly adjusted and leveled out the same as the fronts, it is overpowering. In my previous setup at these levels, you would of never of known there was a center channel. With this center, it is necessary to adjust down. That's how much different it is. Amazing!

Thank you,

• Like 1

Well, I will throw in my 2 cent opinion to the list as well then.   I would put the center channel on the stand and put the tv on top of it so that  the drivers of the front 3 are more in line with each other. Then, swap the subs with the mains, toe them in, and give a listen. Just for experimentation, that is. 

19 minutes ago, shiva said:

Well, I will throw in my 2 cent opinion to the list as well then.   I would put the center channel on the stand and put the tv on top of it so that  the drivers of the front 3 are more in line with each other. Then, swap the subs with the mains, toe them in, and give a listen. Just for experimentation, that is. 

Unfortunately, I do not have the additional height above tv to bottom of speaker box. The best I could do is move it up one shelf. I'm not prepared to tear apart my stand for that adjustment. 

Thank you though.

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Welcome. If you answered, I missed it.  What is that above the TV?

It looks great enjoy it.  You'll never satisfy all of the experts, be content to satisfy yourself.  Free advice is often worth what you pay for it.

Neil, that is so true, and yes, I enjoy them emenslly. As a matter of fact I can't stop starring at them. Sorry, that may be a bit much,  but they are truly awesome.

The box above the tv is for a small sized center channel. I have put 2qty front presence speakers in there temporarily until I can relocate them. I'm currently put a Klipsch center channel speaker grill in front of them to give a cleaner astetic look.

Thanks

• Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your awesome setup.

As you probably are already aware, a typical movie scene will have 80% of the information coming through the front center.  It's what gives the illusion that the dialogue is coming out of the screen.  There are some scenes where there will be zero coming out of either the left or right, as in a scene where dialogue is between to actors towards far side of the screen.  As suggested, I would try moving it up just to try it out and see, if you prefer the floor, move it back and be satisfied in knowing it sounds great to you.

Maybe some of these more knowledgeable folks can recommend some good reference movies or discs they recommend and can describe what they are hearing through the center.  

Welcome to the forum.

Travis

Yes, I have moved it around slightly but know that this speaker is heavy and does not allow flexibility when it comes to the stand I'm using. I am quite content with the adjustments I have made with the positioning and level and dialog adjustments through the receiver. 

It is definitely a great addition and i'm truly enjoying it.

Thank you so much for offering some suggestions as it is nice to know this community cares.

Mike

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AaronB123 said:

Extremely gorgeous setup! I always loved the look of those RF-7ii's in fact I actually like those better than the new ones! I think the full wood veneer is a lot nicer than putting that plastic in the front. 

Yah, I agree. I really dig the cherry. Having a matching stand helps too.

Thank you!