Differences between a 1" and 2" drivers

Sid K

On 1/7/2017 at 8:44 AM, Deang said:

4x the surface area, 10x less distortion. 

However ...

If your room isn't the size of a barn, and/or you don't listen at earbleed levels, it's not that big of a game changer. 

Also, most 2" drivers use titanium diaphragms, and phenolic diaphragms sound more natural to me. 

This is a simplistic response. 

and phenolic diaphragms sound more natural to me. 

Makes a big difference for sure.  I have to 100% agree and this makes it hard to say I like a 2 way as much as a well executed 3 way.

• Like 2

Just reading through this thread now. It's amazing how much of my experience has matched Dean's comments above. 

I upgraded my stock Klipschorn with Volti 2" Horn, plus BMS drivers and ALK ES Crossovers. 

Don't get me wrong - there was definitely an improvement in sound, but its was mostly experienced at high volumes. 

I can't remember the cost now but I think the Volti Horns were $600+/-, plus $1,300-$1,400 for BMS Drivers, plus $1,500 for ALK ES Crossover. I mean, you are talking about nearly $3,500 in upgrades. 

If I had a gathering at my place and we were listening to the system at loud volume, everyone enjoyed the effortless sound. At low to moderate levels (i.e., my normal listening level), I'm not sure if the improvement was easily observed. I mean you had to be listening to the music with a very critical ear to be able to detect improvement. You almost have to be looking for the improvement - which can take the whole joy out of the main objective: enjoying the MUSIC. 

I eventually ended up selling all my upgrades and appreciated having the dollars in my hand than to have all that money tied up in a system where I rarely got a chance to enjoy my investment. 

If you want to go the 2" route, and have the money, and enjoy tinkering around with your system - then it can be a fun journey. My comments are not meant to discourage anyone. I'm merely just sharing my experience - any by sharing my experience, I'm hoping it may help others set their expectations. 

My last comment is that if I had to do my system all over again, I would expend my energy on learning about room acoustics and use my money there. Going back to my system above, I'm sure that I would have achieved a greater improvement in sound if I had invested the aforementioned $3,500 in learning/implementing room treatment than upgrading various speaker components. Again, that comment is based on my experience, with my system, in my room. 

• Like 2

I think the key variable between those components and mine would be the extreme slope crossovers.  The ES crossovers just don't sound as good to me until the volume is at 80db or higher.   At low to moderate levels I much prefer the lower slopes.  I'm still using the Super AA's from Dean.  I sold the ES crossovers but still have the rest.    If I never listened lower than 75db I might not have sold them but my late night listening is restricted to 70db or less.  

Like you say... my system, my room, my ears...

• Like 1

On 1/7/2017 at 8:06 PM, Marvel said:

I should send my DHA2 nets to have you try them. They work great with my low power SET amps. Would I notice the difference in the loss of power with A or AA nets?

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I'm pretty familiar with the sound of that network - I'm actually familiar with all of them - using all kinds of different parts. I damn near bankrupt myself doing this - just so I could have an informed opinion based on experience.  You might remember when I did the same thing with amps and preamps. 

At the volumes you listen at, you probably wouldn't notice "a loss of power" compared to the Type A. However, if you loaded up a nice set of Type A's - you would find that they open up much faster than any of the constant impedance designs. 

Dean

• Like 1

I have 1" and 2" horns in systems around here. There is a magical sound from 2" drivers on big horns for me. It's smooth, open, clear, and overall more convincing if you will. Still enjoy my 1" driven horns too, but 2" is superior in my personal setups especially if you crank it up now and then. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2017 at 10:36 AM, dkalsi said:

Just reading through this thread now. It's amazing how much of my experience has matched Dean's comments above. 

I upgraded my stock Klipschorn with Volti 2" Horn, plus BMS drivers and ALK ES Crossovers. 

Don't get me wrong - there was definitely an improvement in sound, but its was mostly experienced at high volumes. 

I can't remember the cost now but I think the Volti Horns were $600+/-, plus $1,300-$1,400 for BMS Drivers, plus $1,500 for ALK ES Crossover. I mean, you are talking about nearly $3,500 in upgrades. 

If I had a gathering at my place and we were listening to the system at loud volume, everyone enjoyed the effortless sound. At low to moderate levels (i.e., my normal listening level), I'm not sure if the improvement was easily observed. I mean you had to be listening to the music with a very critical ear to be able to detect improvement. You almost have to be looking for the improvement - which can take the whole joy out of the main objective: enjoying the MUSIC. 

I eventually ended up selling all my upgrades and appreciated having the dollars in my hand than to have all that money tied up in a system where I rarely got a chance to enjoy my investment. 

If you want to go the 2" route, and have the money, and enjoy tinkering around with your system - then it can be a fun journey. My comments are not meant to discourage anyone. I'm merely just sharing my experience - any by sharing my experience, I'm hoping it may help others set their expectations. 

My last comment is that if I had to do my system all over again, I would expend my energy on learning about room acoustics and use my money there. Going back to my system above, I'm sure that I would have achieved a greater improvement in sound if I had invested the aforementioned $3,500 in learning/implementing room treatment than upgrading various speaker components. Again, that comment is based on my experience, with my system, in my room. 

Very much appreciated.

Straight to the point with a very detailed but common/simple explanation.

I think the key to this whole thread is the volume a person listens to the music they are listening to.

Thank you very much.

This was very helpful and this will save me bunch of money and disappointment in the end.