Need Advice: Upgrade Center Channel for my KF-28s

Rock23

Seeking center channel best option for my KF-28s.  I currently have a C-2 as my center channel, but am wondering if I can upgrade quality, but also match the KF-28s?  I believe the KC-25 would be considered the best match for the KF-28s, but will this even feel like an improvement from my C-2 feeling like money well spent?  Are there other center channel speakers that could match and would be better quality than the KC-25?  Replacing the KF-28s is not an option and likely doubt will ever be replacing them.  Thanks in advance for your help!

I also have the KF-28's.  I had an old Phase Technology center speaker I bought about a thousand years ago, and maybe around a year ago I found a crazy good deal on the KC-25 so I picked it up.

While the KC-25 was a pretty decent upgrade over the Phase Tech speaker, I do feel like it is still the weak link in the system.  So much so that I am currently looking to replace it.

I don't want to make it sound like it's horrible or anything, in fact, it does a decent job for how inexpensive they are now and like I mentioned, I noticed a definite improvement over the PT speaker.  It just doesn't seem to match how well the towers sound, to me anyway.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, yippiechicken said:

I also have the KF-28's.  I had an old Phase Technology center speaker I bought about a thousand years ago, and maybe around a year ago I found a crazy good deal on the KC-25 so I picked it up.

While the KC-25 was a pretty decent upgrade over the Phase Tech speaker, I do feel like it is still the weak link in the system.  So much so that I am currently looking to replace it.

I don't want to make it sound like it's horrible or anything, in fact, it does a decent job for how inexpensive they are now and like I mentioned, I noticed a definite improvement over the PT speaker.  It just doesn't seem to match how well the towers sound, to me anyway.

Thanks for the reply and info!  Yes, I have seen the KC-25 fluctuate a lot between $99 - $129 lately so definitely inexpensive compared to other options.  The KF-28s are new addition for me so that's what started all this.  When manually calibrating as I move from Left Front to Center to Right Front the Left and Right sound identical, but you can tell the center sounds slightly different.  I've tried researching a lot on HT setup, but honestly there is just too much info/opinion out there these days to make an educated decision from it.  I'm hoping someone experienced in HT setup on here can chime in and help guide my next step.  I get the whole matching of speakers within the same manufacturer, but get lost when it comes down to trying to decide if I should stay in the same "line or series" within the manufacturer or if I can/should move up in quality.  When I read about "timbre" matching of speakers I'm not sure exactly which numbers in the specs I should be concerned with/comparing.  I do understand from what I read that I should try and match the tweeter across speakers (all aluminum or all titanium, etc.).  I'm not sure about if the woofer material should match too.  

To add to my confusion here, my KF-28s replaced Klipsch Synergy B-3s (bookshelves).  I am debating about using the bookshelves for either front height or back surround (already have side surround).  I have read that if you go front height speakers you want them to match the center speaker, but don't know if that is true.  If it is true and front height is the best option here maybe I should keep the current center channel.  Still debating if either option is worth it (front height/rear surround) as I'm not sure how much content is available to take advantage and this is getting into a whole other topic than my original question.  However, still pertinent as I try to make a decision on my next improvement.  My focus is on the center channel (C-2) because it has always felt like the "weak link" in the system even before getting the floorstanding fronts (KF-28s).

Well, as I mentioned, I was looking to upgrade my KC-25.  I was originally thinking of getting an RP-250C.  In talking with Cory from Paducah Home Theater, he gave me such good pricing that I ended up ordering a new RP-250C AND two new RP-280F towers.  I'm hoping they'll arrive next week sometime.  

I'll try to swap out the center and see how the new one sounds with the KF-28's before I swap them out too.  I know how I hear it could be totally different than how you'd hear it, but I'll let you know what I think.

I also heard from a number of people that the horizontal design of center channel speakers is not conducive to the best possible sound.  Many recommended using a regular bookshelf speaker as the center, saying it should actually sound better. Maybe you could give that a shot with one of your B-3's and see what you think. I considered going with a bookshelf for my center but it really wouldn't have worked (aesthetically) with my current layout. As you can see, there's not enough room between the top of the rack and the screen bottom for a vertical speaker and I didn't want to get a new rack (or racks) right now. Hopefully I made a decent choice.

IMG_0104.JPG

• Like 1