A-55G Midrange Driver....

SWL

23 minutes ago, Budman said:

i'm guessing when people come over your going to put in your soldered terminal ones first. play some tunes and then put in the A-55G's

i could seriously tell the difference when i took out my 47 yr old 55 V's and replaced them with a set of 34 yr old soldered terminal 55 V's

does anyone know what happens to the driver after all these years. i'm guessing it has to lose something

@BEC  I would bet Mr. Crites could lend some insight....

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

@BEC  I would bet Mr. Crites could lend some insight....

I have seen a number of the older K-55V that were still working but had lost some of the output in the lower frequency range.  I had thought the loss would be in the highs, but have never seen that, just lower output below 1000hz.  In every case, replacing the diaphragm fixed that right up.

Bob Crites

6 hours ago, Budman said:

i'm guessing when people come over your going to put in your soldered terminal ones first. play some tunes and then put in the A-55G's

i could seriously tell the difference when i took out my 47 yr old 55 V's and replaced them with a set of 34 yr old soldered terminal 55 V's

does anyone know what happens to the driver after all these years. i'm guessing it has to lose something

I'm sure we'll try to swap back and forth. It takes about 5 minutes to change. We are already going to try different amps and a 1970's vintage receiver just see if we can hear any differences. 

Mark

• Like 1

Just hooked up my tubes for the first time since installing 55G's.

Sweet. [emoji106] [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Man I gotta say....since installing the 55G's my solid state just sounds better and better. Hooked the tubes up today and it sounded great but went right back to the solid state.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

So, seeing as there could not be a bigger customer than Klipsch, I assume these have been sent over to the Chief for inspection and testing? Why hasn't Klipsch embraced this new driver and offering them in their new speakers? If someone is going to spend $10k+ for a new set of speakers wouldn't they expect to have the latest and best drivers available already installed instead of having to immediately hit the secondary market for a superior mid driver? Didn't Paul Klipsch himself say "we live in the midrange" so why wouldn't Klipsch company want to offer the best they can for their customers? Just curious..

35 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

So, seeing as there could not be a bigger customer than Klipsch, I assume these have been sent over to the Chief for inspection and testing? Why hasn't Klipsch embraced this new driver and offering them in their new speakers? If someone is going to spend $10k+ for a new set of speakers wouldn't they expect to have the latest and best drivers available already installed instead of having to immediately hit the secondary market for a superior mid driver? Didn't Paul Klipsch himself say "we live in the midrange" so why wouldn't Klipsch company want to offer the best they can for their customers? Just curious..

Why don't you directly address someone at Klipsch like @Chief bonehead, or @BEC if you are just curious?  I'm sure they don't read ALL of the posts on this forum.

And who, other than yourself, has said that they are the "latest and best" that could be utilized in the current Klipsch line?

How do you know that Klipsch isn't offering "the best they can for their customers?" 

I'm sure the drivers are very nice, but other than anecdotal opinions, how do you formulate your statements that they are "the best"?  Just curious.  And once again, I am not employed or affiliated with Klipsch in any way, nor am I aligned or in consult with the Chief as you have previously inferred....

• Like 4

After posting the questions it did come to mind that there maybe conflicts of interest from a business perceptive I didn't consider before; maybe Klipsch has a long standing contract with the 55x manufacturer that they cannot easily or affordably get out of? Maybe they already bought a bulk shipment of the 55x drivers and are sitting on 100k? of inventory that will take years to deplete? I don't know but I do know there are often unknowns to consider when pondering issues like this.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Why don't you directly address someone at Klipsch like @Chief bonehead, or @BEC if you are just curious?  I'm sure they don't read ALL of the posts on this forum.

And who, other than yourself, has said that they are the "latest and best" that could be utilized in the current Klipsch line?

How do you know that Klipsch isn't offering "the best they can for their customers?" 

I'm sure the drivers are very nice, but other than anecdotal opinions, how do you formulate your statements that they are "the best"?  Just curious.  And once again, I am not employed or affiliated with Klipsch in any way, nor am I aligned or in consult with the Chief as you have previously inferred....

First off I thought I did pose the question here?

Honestly, my opinion, based on my own personal experience is really the only one that matters to me at the end of the day, sorry but true. If I did not like these new drivers I'd openly express that. I am not aligned with the interest of any parties here or anywhere else, I am a consumer looking for the best product and or product improvements regardless of who makes them.

I don't know if this new driver is the best for "Klipsch," that is why I asked the question of whether or not they have been evaluated or not by Klipsch, that's the part I'm curious about.

Thing is multiple threads and pages and pages of praise without one negative review? How many more do we need before this new driver is taken seriously?

5 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

... And who, other than yourself, has said that they are the "latest and best" that could be utilized in the current Klipsch line?

I'm sure the drivers are very nice, but other than anecdotal opinions, how do you formulate your statements that they are "the best"? 

FR and distortion measurements have been posted several times, and everyone who has heard it - prefers it. It measures better and sounds better than the PD5, so I guess that makes it "better".

• Like 1

Here are my thoughts on the A55G drivers I installed 6 days ago. They do sound better than the K55V solder lug drivers I was using. Much greater detail and larger sound stage. However, the diaphragms in the K55V drivers may be at least 35 years old. I've had them for 2 years and don't know the details past that. I've not replaced the diaphragms. Nor do I know if the diaphragms where ever replaced. So, it makes sense that a brand new driver sounds better than one with potentially 35 year old diaphrams. I'm basing their age on research I've done showing the solder lug dual phase plug drivers were only made from 1980 to 1982.  

From this experience, I'd recommend anyone considering changing to verify their existing K55 drivers are in good working order first. As for me, I'm going to have the diaphragms replaced in my K55’s and use them as squawker drivers in a pair of Cornscalas. 

Mark

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My pair of A-55-Gs arrived. Have just finished removing the K-55Ms and screwing in the A-55-Gs.

Will have a critical listen later this week and report back.

Both of the K-55Ms had disbonded rear dustcaps, my K-Horns are 1990 vintage. Anyone that has K-55Ms should read this thread for instructions on how to check the rear dustcaps and re-glue them -

Edited by Wirrunna
tidied up grammer

@BEC addressed the aging worn-out diaphragm issue directly upstream ^^^.  I am curious whether or not a 25 year-old magnet can lose its power.  I am guessing the magnet is much weaker, but I don't know that.

I think a more fair comparison for the 55-G would be against a nice new 55-X.  I'd like to hear other opinions.

10 hours ago, wvu80 said:

@BEC addressed the aging worn-out diaphragm issue directly upstream ^^^.  I am curious whether or not a 25 year-old magnet can lose its power.  I am guessing the magnet is much weaker, but I don't know that.

I think a more fair comparison for the 55-G would be against a nice new 55-X.  I'd like to hear other opinions.

There are some speaker service businesses that offer re-magnetizing. I am now wondering about my thirty year old Heritage magnet collection.

I agree about the need to compare the new 55-G with a new 55-X, to be fair.