A-55G Midrange Driver....

SWL

" There are some speaker service businesses that offer re-magnetizing. I am now wondering about my thirty year old Heritage magnet collection. "

Ferrite magnets are not a problem.

Alnico drivers that have been over-powered, or dropped, are the ones to be concerned with.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Last week I was away from home. No stereo for six days!! When I got home and fired up the system, the thing that jumped out the most was how full the speakers sounded. I realize I'm probably the only one here using the A55G's in KLF -30'S but is anyone else getting this kind of result?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

I've been listening to them over the last couple of weeks in my Belles (crites ct120 with crites xover) and it sound buttery smooth, full, clear, and most of all easy to listen to at even the loudest levels. It actually makes me close my eyes and really listen to the music which I didn't have the desire to do with the stock k55. Best upgrade for the cost by far.

Kal:    Changes can be good.  Actual measurements of the K77s show some drop off as low as 15 KC.    I changed mine and based on my somewhat unsophisticated audio response measuring my before and after 5 db down response went from about 16K on the 77's to something just over 20K on  DE 110s.     I used the DE 110 because there was no room in the TSCM cab for the larger 120.

Actually I have replaced all 7 speakers in my TSCMs.   I installed the Crites' cast frame K33 woofer,  Selenium 250's for the 4  k55 squawkers and DE 110s for the 2 K77s.     My two Klipsch crossovers were radically different [ and 30 or so years old ] and the two speakers had about a 6db volume difference so I installed ALK steep slope crossovers.       The change was so dramatic that even my tone deaf wife said "Wow!"   My good neighbors who had heard the speakers before the changes sat in to watch  Phantom of the Opera

in blue ray Dolby 5.1 surround sound and then asked if I had replaced the speakers.    The fact is I changed everything but the Bins.   I have limited experience with expensive top of the line speakers but I seriously doubt that due to limitations in my old, high frequency challenged ears that I will ever hear a set better than my TSCMs.  They are so smooth all the way to the top and I am able to point at each sound source; fabulous stereo effect.      Again I will say to anyone who will listen: " Long live the TSCM!"

• 6 months later...

Hey SWL, how are you liking these in your KLF 30's now that time has passed?   I just picked up a pair for my 30's and am just starting to get used to them.  And still trying to figure out how to describe in words the change in the music....  

Funny you brought this up. Today I was just thinking that I should consider changing the thick, heavy curtains I have on the window behind my sweet spot. I originally got them to deal with any brightness and they worked very, very well.

However, now with the A-55G's I'm wondering if they are necessary anymore. The warmth and fullness the 55G's throw out there....gonna have to do some experimenting.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/27/2018 at 10:12 AM, KlipschFan61 said:

Running the same top box stuff. Crites 120 tweeters, K-55 G squawker and the A/4500 networks. The La Scalas are now buttery instead of barky.

Using the dE120 on a new lens did the trick for the two La Scalas I have changed so far + re-capping the AA crossovers and all the shrill was gone. I have tried K-55-V soldered lug and not soldered and K-55-M's and while there are some differences the tweeter is what made them musical and not tiring after a while. Replacing those old cans also made a real difference as the ESR was pretty bad. I have read about replacing the diaphragm on the K-55's but the price of those is high enough I have not. I know I spend more money elsewhere all the time but somehow that much for those just irks me.

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

I have read about replacing the diaphragm on the K-55's but the price of those is high enough I have not. I know I spend more money elsewhere all the time but somehow that much for those just irks me.

Quit being a tight asz and order up some A55-g's, its a nice improvement not as significant as the tweeter change but noticeably better. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

Is the K-55X the driver currently used in new production La Scala ii? Seems pretty good.

It's the same driver as the old K-55-V with spring loaded terminals -- it's a single phase plug design and pretty much runs out of gas at 4.5kHz. The driver is made by Atlas, and is a rebranded PD5-VH. It's a better driver in the new stuff than the older stuff because the new stuff has a crossover point that matches what the driver is actually capable of.

• Like 1