A-55G Midrange Driver....

SWL

21 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Quit being a tight asz and order up some A55-g's, its a nice improvement not as significant as the tweeter change but noticeably better. 

Well I might consider that if it fit a 402 horn. The La Scalas I get are to fix and sell and people want the extras but do not want to pay you for them. They would rather spend more money as time goes on fiddling on their own. I can understand that as experimenting is part of the audio experience for many. I can sell the K-55-V soldered lug drivers for around $300 on ebay but never get that as an installed part of a system.

11 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

And the reason being?  Just curious.

The AL-4 slams hard at 4500Hz, so you really don’t need a driver that goes out to 6kHz. 

There is the question of reduced distortion. I still think the verdict isn’t out on this one. John Warren did measurements, and his plots show no difference. 

The A-55-G makes sense in the context of those using the older network designs and have drivers that are almost as old as I am.

Also, there is no diaphragm replacement for the K-55-M, coupled with the adhesive issue ...

The frequency response graphs look very close except in the top end. I am not sure if two K-55-X and two A-55G graphed would not show the  same differences below 5K Hz. 

I am learning. Did not know the K-55-X has alnico magnets. I would think the cobalt content drives the pricing way above 300.00/pr.