A-55G Midrange Driver....

SWL

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

As good as these mid drivers are the biggest improvement for my speakers were the new tweeters, the CT-120's. I cannot say enough good things about either of these products from Bob Crites, well worth the time and money spent IMO.

Could I ask you what you "hear" out of the CT-120 when you put your ear up to it?

IOW do you hear the "highlights" of other notes in the tweeter, or do you hear whole notes or complete dialog?

In my Khorns the K-77 tweeters were just occasional "chirps" or high pitched "highlights" to other notes.  When I switched to the A/4500 and a more robust SEOS horn tweeter I now here complete acoustical information, almost like a complete midhorn sound.

I'm wondering if your changes had the same results as mine.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Deang said:

I wish tweeter comments would stay in tweeter threads, and midrange comments would stay in midrange threads! :-)

Yea, geez.  And capacitors in capacitor threads, and crossovers in capacitor threads, and capacitors in crossover threads.  How hard could that be?  I mean, really....

• Like 1

Ok, so since I got these mid drivers installed a couple days ago I've hooked up several different amps and have noticed how they all sound different/better than before with the stock mid drivers. It's very noticeable in my system and in every case it is an improvement.

Except one amp, a Marantz Model 30 where there is very little change. It's there but very minimal compared to the other amps. I thought this was kinda strange and thought I'd mention it.

Otherwise, I'd say that the biggest change I'm hearing since installing these is the added warmth and more body to the sound. The speakers sound wider. Some music has more 'flesh' to the vocals. It's hard to explain but the sound is less forward....it's bigger and has a certain characteristic I can't put my finger on other than it is reminiscent of the Heritage sound. To my ears anyway....

.....but I'm still wondering why every other amp would have such a change in sound except for the Marantz. Would this be indicative of something? Hmmm...

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, cincymat said:

Just ordered a set yesterday. Bob said they are flying off the shelves. 

Looking forward to hearing them for myself. -Mark

Looking forward to hearing your review.  What XO will you be using?

17 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Looking forward to hearing your review.  What XO will you be using?

I have a set of Super AA's and a set of ALK ENG steep slope XO's to try. 

The drivers I'm comparing them with are K55V with dual phase plugs. 

Mark

1 hour ago, cincymat said:

I have a set of Super AA's and a set of ALK ENG steep slope XO's to try. 

The drivers I'm comparing them with are K55V with dual phase plugs. -Mark

You obviously know the K-55-V w/ dual phase plugs are the holy grail of the K-55 type mid drivers.  You will be comparing from the best.

+++

I'm not sure what the Super means in the Super AA's.  Would you care to comment? 

The ALK steep slope XO's I think cross over at 4500.  If you get a chance, I'd like to know where your XO's are crossing.  I have Dean G A/4500's and they definitely make a difference in sound to my ears, but I don't want to bias your opinion in what way.

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You obviously know the K-55-V w/ dual phase plugs are the holy grail of the K-55 type mid drivers.  You will be comparing from the best.

+++

I'm not sure what the Super means in the Super AA's.  Would you care to comment? 

The ALK steep slope XO's I think cross over at 4500.  If you get a chance, I'd like to know where your XO's are crossing.  I have Dean G A/4500's and they definitely make a difference in sound to my ears, but I don't want to bias your opinion in what way.

I have the ALK ES5800 that I believe cross over at 5800HZ.

I bought the AA from DeanG. It's been a while but I thought he referred to them as Super AA. I might be misremembering that. I bought the K55V dual phase plug drivers from DeanG at the same time. 

Bob Crites thought the A55G would be an improvement over the dual phase plug K55V as testing showed a 1% THD vs a 1.5% THD (A55 vs K55). Guess I'll find out in a few days.  

Mark

• Like 1