A-55G Midrange Driver....

SWL

On 1/20/2017 at 3:13 PM, cincymat said:

I have a set of Super AA's and a set of ALK ENG steep slope XO's to try. 

The drivers I'm comparing them with are K55V with dual phase plugs. 

Mark

The A55G's arrived today so I installed them when I made it home from work. I'm going to listen for a while before commenting. I'll post my thoughts later this week.  

Mark

• Like 3

I'm with everybody else, I want your listening impressions, NOW!  :lol:  I can't wait until the end of the week, I'm too curious.

+++

Will you be making the change of only the G's?  I recently added a SEOS waveguide to replace the tweeter in a Khorn.  When I made that single change on just the right-side speaker I could not hear much difference, I think because the L/R added to each other sonically and blended.  I could a big difference after I added both new tweeters.

When I added the A/4500 XO to replace the stock, smooth sounding Type AA the Khorn really came alive, especially at mid-level and high SPL.  The Khorn went from rather pedestrian sounding IMO to Wow!.

Are your LS XO's already updated or are you using the stock XO?

is just sitting back and listening to your favorite cd that you know well the best way to go or are their other things to do.

#1 - maybe put a new one in the left and leave the old one in the right

# 2 - rat shack meter 3 ft away and take some readings

# 3 - alcohol - like this one the best. listen @ Margarita Happy Hour

from Crites website A-55G - $330 + $14

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Budman said:

maybe put a new one in the left and leave the old one in the right  - that's a pretty valid approach

rat shack meter 3 ft away and take some readings - An SPL meter?  Not sure what good that's going to do....

alcohol - like this one the best - that depends....

Ok gentlemen, chill just a little. I spent some time assembling a custom speaker testing play list and am all the way through the one damn song. I'll report back as I make progress. Want to get used to the new sound then I'll switch drivers to the K55V dual phase plug and listen to the playlist again. Then I'll change one driver and switch back and forth using my monoblocks to select speakers. My equipment is in my profile. Using ALK steep slope Xovers, ES500 and ES5800 (I think those are the correct part numbers). The squawker horns are Fastlane La Scala. 

First impression is the A55's seem smoother and clearer at all volume levels. 

Mark

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Budman said:

is just sitting back and listening to your favorite cd that you know well the best way to go or are their other things to do.

#1 - maybe put a new one in the left and leave the old one in the right

# 2 - rat shack meter 3 ft away and take some readings

# 3 - alcohol - like this one the best. listen @ Margarita Happy Hour

from Crites website A-55G - $330 + $14

Doing the following:

#1 -  selected a varied range of tunes that I like and know well

#2 - using a sound level meter app on my iPad. Yeah, I know it's not very accurate but it's what I got

#3 - alcohol - having a nice Chardonnay 

Thanks,

Mark

My first thoughts after a couple of hours listening, the A55G's are more detailed in a way that separates sounds more distinctly. I think I'm hearing instruments and vocals in their entirety, not mixed together on their edges. The width and depth of the stereo image are both bigger. Something that is very noticeable in my room. 

Hope that makes sense. I'm not the most articulate person...

Ask questions, maybe that will help me describe what I'm hearing.

Mark

• Like 3

My first thoughts after a couple of hours listening, the A55G's are more detailed in a way that separates sounds more distinctly.The width and depth of the stereo image are both bigger. Something that is very noticeable in my room. 

I heard a fuller sound after about 6-8 hours......and your description is similar to my experience as well.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SWL said:

I heard a fuller sound after about 6-8 hours......and your description is similar to my experience as well.

What horns are you running, K400? Bob Crites thought the A55G would really really make that horn sound better.

Mark

What horns are you running, K400? Bob Crites thought the A55G would really really make that horn sound better.

Mark

No....KLF-30's.

A friend of mine bought two sets....for KLF -30'S and Cornwalls. He said the improvement in the Corns was minimal compared to the improvement in the 30's.

2 minutes ago, SWL said:

My KLF -30'S went from sounding like a tall skinny speaker to a tall fat speaker. In a good way.

That's great! I'm sitting here being very surprised. Didn't think I'd hear an improvement. 

Mark