A-55G Midrange Driver....

SWL

1 hour ago, cincymat said:

My first thoughts after a couple of hours listening, the A55G's are more detailed in a way that separates sounds more distinctly. I think I'm hearing instruments and vocals in their entirety, not mixed together on their edges. The width and depth of the stereo image are both bigger. Something that is very noticeable in my room. 

Hope that makes sense. I'm not the most articulate person...

Ask questions, maybe that will help me describe what I'm hearing.

Mark

I agree Mark  they seemed to open up the recordings. On some cd's I can her the room that the musicians where recording in better. I have not noticed stand out like this before. Call me crazy

• Like 1

If you happen to unscrew the new driver, what is the diameter of the throat/exit of the A-55G?

I am checking to see if I can get my K-400 horns reamed out to match. They are even smaller than the Klipsch driver.

Bruce

44 minutes ago, Marvel said:

If you happen to unscrew the new driver, what is the diameter of the throat/exit of the A-55G?

I am checking to see if I can get my K-400 horns reamed out to match. They are even smaller than the Klipsch driver.

Bruce

I'll check tomorrow night. Was going to swap them out for my K55V to continue my comparison anyway. I think the exit diameters will be close to the same but I'll check for sure.

Mark

7 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

I would think they are completely interchangeable. Why would they make something you have to modify to fit?

Mark

Exactly, the protective cover caps that shipped with the A55G drivers fit on the K55V perfectly. And the A55G's screwed directly in place of the K55V on my Fastlane horns. 

Mark

NOT the outside/threaded part, but the actual exit diameter. My K-400 throat entry is smaller than the K55m exit. Many one inch exit drivers ARE one inch, but not the K55. Those who switch to Dave's tractrix horns, for example, get a throat entry size of one inch, not 5/8, 7/8, etc.

Very interested in buying a pair of these so great to see the positive feedback on this thread so far. I'd be looking to them as a replacement for K55Ms with slightly loose plastic backs (I've used a thin roll of Blu-Tac around the periphery to seal them) in my 1993 La Scalas with ALK Universal crossovers. My horns are the stock plastic K401. I'm in the UK so getting a pair is quite expensive once shipping and customs are factored, but I'll likely take the plunge in a month or so. Has anyone swapped them in to replace a pair of 55Ms yet? 

One thing I couldn't figure out from Bob's site is do they use the standard Atlas diaphragm or are they all new? I don't listen at all loud so am exceptionally unlikely to damage a pair, but it would still be interesting to know from a future servicing perspective. 

25 minutes ago, Tony L said:

One thing I couldn't figure out from Bob's site is do they use the standard Atlas diaphragm or are they all new? I don't listen at all loud so am exceptionally unlikely to damage a pair, but it would still be interesting to know from a future servicing perspective. 

The Allen driver is a direct replacement for any of the K-55 variants.

The driver does not use the Atlas diaphragm. The diaphragm went through its own developmental process - its a great part. 

4 hours ago, Tony L said:

My horns are the stock plastic K401. I'm in the UK so getting a pair is quite expensive once shipping and customs are factored, but I'll likely take the plunge in a month or so. Has anyone swapped them in to replace a pair of 55Ms yet?

Tony, I'm in Australia, so I share your pain at shipping and customs charges. I held off ordering these as I weighed up the tractrix horn options. The freight alone for the tractrix horns started at $220, then there would be the driver and making them, so I ordered a pair of these (freight $85) to replace my K55M drivers mounted in plastic K401 horns in 1990 K-Horns. I'll report in after they arrive and have been installed and listened to.

4 hours ago, Deang said:

Cincymat, I saw in the Garage Sale section that you weren't quite sure what networks I sold you. Those were Type AAs, built with Musicaps.

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/musicap-film-and-foil-capacitors

Thanks Dean. I don't even remember asking you what type they were. I was to excited about the K55V solder lug drivers the Xovers weren't on my mind. I'm going to build something for my garage this spring and use the K55 and these Xovers. Not sure what. Need to talk to Bob C. 

Mark

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cincymat said:

My first thoughts after a couple of hours listening, the A55G's are more detailed in a way that separates sounds more distinctly.

I think I'm hearing instruments and vocals in their entirety, not mixed together on their edges. The width and depth of the stereo image are both bigger. Something that is very noticeable in my room. 

Hope that makes sense. I'm not the most articulate person...

I agree, trying to use words to describe to another human being the music that you are hearing is a language all to itself.  it's really tough to do.

I like the way you are describing the sound.  What is ironic is if you listen to an orchestra (for instance) a superior orchestra will have a nice blend of sound, no stickouts.  OTOH if you were the conductor you would hear each and every instrument, separated from the others.

I like hearing the articulate sound and the separation, as you describe it and as the conductor hears it.

One of my listening tests is male vocal, female vocal (of your choice of course) and then something else, like piano.  I like to think I have a good ear for brass and percussion, so there are some specific recordings I like because I've heard them live and I know exactly how they are supposed to sound.

Still evaluating the A55G drivers. So far, they are an improvement.  I'm having another set of ears hear them this Saturday.  I'll post the collective critique then.

Joni Mitchell, Miles of Aisles, sounds very sweet at the moment. 

Mark

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jwgorman said:

Mark I predict you'll notice some detail that was previously glossed over. I can't hear any downside to the A55Gs. 

I'm already hearing details I've never noticed before. That's why I'm asking other Klipsch fans to come listen on Saturday.  Really want to give the A55G a fair evaluation.

Mark

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cincymat said:

I'm already hearing details I've never noticed before. That's why I'm asking other Klipsch fans to come listen on Saturday.  Really want to give the A55G a fair evaluation.

Mark

i'm guessing when people come over your going to put in your soldered terminal ones first. play some tunes and then put in the A-55G's

i could seriously tell the difference when i took out my 47 yr old 55 V's and replaced them with a set of 34 yr old soldered terminal 55 V's

does anyone know what happens to the driver after all these years. i'm guessing it has to lose something

• Like 1