Speaker advice for almost finished theater, please!

yippiechicken

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Haven't looked here in a while and read this thread first, You and the wife did a great job on the room, looks great.

Rooms like yours makes me wish I had a dedicated room instead of a living room, very nice. 

Thanks.  We spent A LOT of time planning how we wanted to lay everything out.  We were trying to go for the look of a more dedicated theater while still being open and inviting.  We're quite happy with the way it all came together.

Here's a shot with new speakers in place.  They sound awesome!!

IMG_0126.JPG

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

Nice looking setup!!!

What are the dimensions of the HT area?

Thanks

JJ

Thanks!

The area with the equipment and seating is approximately 13' wide x 21' deep.

The one whole side opens up to the start of the 4' wide hallway which makes the room feel much larger.  We considered framing in the HT area to completely separate it from the rest of the room but I wanted it to be more open.  I think we made the right choice.  We use the room almost nightly whether we're watching a movie, Netflix-ing ( I'm sure that's gotta be a word these days) or listening to music.

1 hour ago, yippiechicken said:

Thanks!

The area with the equipment and seating is approximately 13' wide x 21' deep.

The one whole side opens up to the start of the 4' wide hallway which makes the room feel much larger.  We considered framing in the HT area to completely separate it from the rest of the room but I wanted it to be more open.  I think we made the right choice.  We use the room almost nightly whether we're watching a movie, Netflix-ing ( I'm sure that's gotta be a word these days) or listening to music.

Thanks for the info. 

How about ceiling height?

The area I've been thinking turning into a HT is about the same size as yours.  The major issues I have are low ceilings (approx 7.5) and floor jacks in all the wrong spots.

Thanks

JJ

Ceiling height is right at 7'9" finished IIRC.

Luckily, we had the house built and were able to make a number of changes to the plans as things came up, which made it easier when we started on the HT and the rest of the basement. We had a fairly large 2nd floor bonus room (wife's craft room) added to the original plans. In designing the support for that room, they said it would require putting two columns in the basement to support a large bonus room floor beam. The one column that was needed to support the center of the beam would have ended up in an awful place to try to have to work around so I talked to the builder (also lucky, the builder is a friend of ours) and they beefed up the beam so it only needed to be supported at the ends. That eliminated that dreaded center column. The other column I was able to incorporate into a wall.

The builder also used trussed floor joists (instead of 2x's) that were designed to span the full width of the house. That also was a big bonus because that made it so I didn't have any additional support columns I had to work around. It also allowed all the HVAC ductwork to run between/through the trusses so I didn't have to deal with any soffits either. Well, except for  the ones I made myself for the can lights and rope lights. :)

Our previous house had all the issues you're dealing with in the basement but we still managed to make a fun theater/family room that got used a lot. 

Just make sure to take your time and try to think everything through before you start and as you go.  It's amazing what you can accomplish when you put your mind to it! 

Some further impressions on the new speakers.

So far, I am VERY impressed with them.  I was a little concerned whether I'd hear much of a difference over the Icons but I'll tell you, they are a big upgrade.

Movies and music are MUCH more detailed, even at much lower volumes.  One of my favorite concerts is the bluray of the Eagles Farewell Tour in Melbourne.  I listen to it quite often.  When I listened to it for the first time with the new RP's, there wasn't a single song where I didn't hear instruments that I couldn't hear with the Icons.  In fact, it was kind of distracting, but awesome at the same time!

The Icons were very nice speakers but the RP's are definitely in a different league, at least to my ears.  I love the looks of them too.  I am extremely happy with the purchase, especially considering the great price I got from Cory.  :D

• Like 1