Speaker advice for almost finished theater, please!

yippiechicken

Hello all!  Here is my current 7.1 setup.

KF-28's and KC-25 with a Hsu VTF-15H MK2 sub.  Surrounds and rear surrounds are RBH A-815L.  Everything running through a Pioneer SC-1223k receiver.

I picked up the Klipsch's very inexpensively around four(?) years ago.  The towers don't sound too bad to my old ears but the center is definitely lacking.  Now that we're finally close to being finished with the theater, I was thinking of replacing the KC-25 with the RP-450C.  Would that center match ok with the KF-28's?  I'm also considering replacing the KF-28's with RP-280F's, especially if the KF-28's and RP-450C don't play nice together, but I probably couldn't afford to do it all at once.  The RP series seem to very well reviewed and fit into my budget but I'm open to suggestions.

Would the RP-280F's and RP-450C be decent upgrades over what I have now?  We use the theater for probably about 80% movies and the rest music and games, although I plan on listening to music more now that I've got a comfy place to listen.

Thanks in advance for any input!  :)

IMG_0096.JPG

• Like 2

The RP is a better line of speakers than the KF 28 and center.  Replace them with the RP to keep things timber matched.  You do have a Pioneer avr and can calibrate to Front Align to better match the front stage when not using all speakers from the same line.  You have a nice HT space!  Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.  I love the style of your room.  I would think the Reference Premiere would be a pretty significant upgrade over the current speakers.  That sub looks sweet and likely sounds great as well.  I would keep it but upgrade the other speakers.

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome!  

I kinda figured now that the theater/basement is almost finished, it's about time to consider possibly upgrading the front speakers.  The sub is only a little over a month old and DEFINITELY puts out the bass!  The photos below were taken when I was using the previous sub and you can see how much bigger the Hsu is.  I'm pretty sure I would just keep the RBH's too as they are in-ceiling. 

My wife, son and I have been working in the basement for a couple of years off and on as time and money allows.  We've done about 90% of the work ourselves and are pretty happy with the way it's all coming together.  It seems like we've  spent more time planning and preparing than anything else!

You can see from the photos that it is a fairly large room to fill with sound.  The existing Klipsch's I've got have done a pretty outstanding job at doing just that.  I do like the Klipsch sound very much compared to some other speakers I've had in the past and that's why I want to stick with them.  I do think they can be a little "bright" sometimes but from what I've read, the RP's have eliminated some of that, correct?

Now I just have to keep an eye out and try to get a good price on the speakers.  I don't hardly ever buy anything unless I can get it on sale!  :D

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0101.JPGIMG_0106.JPGIMG_0105.JPGIMG_0102.JPGIMG_0108.JPGIMG_0110.JPGIMG_0111.JPGIMG_0112.JPGIMG_0113.JPG

• Like 5

Wow, I love what you've done with the place. I can't speak to the speakers mentioned above as I have not heard them. That setup screams RF-7s to me. I love your candy/popcorn bar with the candy display, peg board, and popcorn popper. Very nicely done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, rgdawsonco said:

Wow, I love what you've done with the place. I can't speak to the speakers mentioned above as I have not heard them. That setup screams RF-7s to me. I love your candy/popcorn bar with the candy display, peg board, and popcorn popper. Very nicely done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks!  It's definitely been a labor of love, that's for sure.  We didn't do just this area, we finished out the whole basement at the same time.  We are quite pleased with way it's all turning out.

RF-7's would be AWESOME but I'd have to find them at crazy sale pricing before I could afford those!  But hey, a guy can dream, right?  :D

59 minutes ago, Tasdom said:

What projector are you using? Looks like an Epson 5030?

Correct.  Epson 5030ub projecting to a 110" Vapex (Visual Apex) motorized, tensioned screen.  I bought a motorized screen because I have a 65" Panasonic 3d  tv mounted behind the screen.  My wife and I enjoy 3d movies, that's one of the reasons we went with the 5030.  I had the tv before I got the projector and screen and thought I may want to use it for watching older dvd's and playing certain games as in the past I've seen older movies look terrible projected to 110".  Not sure if it's the projector, receiver or bluray player (or some combination) that is doing such a good job but I haven't used the tv since I got the projector.  I could have saved quite a bit of money, and went a little bigger, if I would have gotten a fixed screen.

I originally wasn't sure if I wanted to just use my existing tv or get a projector.  Now that I have it, I can't imagine not having one.  My old eyes sure don't have any problems seeing things on the screen like I could happen before! 

I thought so, very similar to my set up. I have a Vapex 120" that drops down in front of a 60" and using a 6030UB.  I told myself when I got mine I would only watch movies on the big screen to save on bulbs. That went out the window after a few days. Hard to not watch everything on a bigger screen. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tasdom said:

I thought so, very similar to my set up. I have a Vapex 120" that drops down in front of a 60" and using a 6030UB.  I told myself when I got mine I would only watch movies on the big screen to save on bulbs. That went out the window after a few days. Hard to not watch everything on a bigger screen. 

Yeah, I realized right away that I'd gladly pay for a new bulb a little more frequently to be able to watch on the big screen.

Do you watch much 3d content?

28 minutes ago, Tasdom said:

I wouldn't say a lot, but I enjoy a good 3D movie. I probably have about 20 or so in my Blu-Ray collection and Avatar being my personal favorite.

We have a ton of movies (been collecting for many years) and I pretty much always buy the 3d version of movies, if available, as long as it comes with the 2d version so I always have the option.  Last time I counted I had a little over 100 3d movies (yeah, sounds kinda crazy to me too).  :blink:

Here's my new media shelves I built about a month ago.  I used 3/4" galvanized pipe and structural fittings for the "frame".  It was pretty simple and fun to do.

IMG_0114.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks to all for the input!

I ordered a new RP-450C and a pair of RP-280F's.  I maybe wasn't quite ready to purchase yet but Cory from Paducah Home Theater gave me such a a great price I couldn't pass it up.  Great guy to work with.

They won't be arriving until around the 24th.  Shipping to Montana always takes a little longer unless the shipper has to come up this way anyways.  I'm really excited to hear how they sound in my room and curious to how different they'll be compared to what I currently have.