A shy pair of R26F

TopherTorres

Hello everybody, we're pretty new on this subject. Yesterday we decided to purchase a pair of R26F for our turntable, along with a 200w receiver and after hooking up everything we were really disappointed with the loudness of the speakers, we have to crank the volume up over 65 on the receiver to get an acceptable level of decibels. I don't really know what could it be, receiver, wires? Thanks for your help! 

What is an 'acceptable' level? I have the r28f with a r25c on an old yamaha rx367 and they get plenty loud. 200w should be more than enough to cause ear bleeding. How far away are you from your speakers? Is your receiver a 200w 2.1 or 5.1 receiver? A few more specifics would be helpful.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, phillmartin said:

What is an 'acceptable' level? I have the r28f with a r25c on an old yamaha rx367 and they get plenty loud. 200w should be more than enough to cause ear bleeding. How far away are you from your speakers? Is your receiver a 200w 2.1 or 5.1 receiver? A few more specifics would be helpful.

The receiver is a Yamaha R-S202BL Stereo Just 2.1, our apartment is not big and we have a lg sound bar hooked up to the tv and that thing with only 20 of volume is way more louder that our new speakers turned up all the way up to 60. 

I'm not an expert (or even a novice for that matter) with turntables, but does it have volume controls? If not, you may have a weak source. If you can amp the signal it should reduce how much you have to turn up the reciever. I'm sure smarter minds than myself will chime in shortly.

3 hours ago, ricktate said:

What kind of  receiver.....does it have a PHONO input?  Could be a lot of things need pics of how you hooked the wires up etc. Does FM section work first ??

This!  Looking at an image of the back panel of the Yam RS202 it appears there is no phono input for a turntable, so the recvr lacks the proper circuitry to boost the low-level input voltage coming from your turntable cartridge, hence the low volume of your "shy" R26F speakers.  You will need to add a phono preamp between your turntable and the recvr to bring listening volume up to "normal levels."  Hope that helps.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, scalawag said:

This!  Looking at an image of the back panel of the Yam RS202 it appears there is no phono input for a turntable, so the recvr lacks the proper circuitry to boost the low-level input voltage coming from your turntable cartridge, hence the low volume of your "shy" R26F speakers.  You will need to add a phono preamp between your turntable and the recvr to bring listening volume up to "normal levels."  Hope that helps.  

I believe we have a(the) solutuion to the problem.:emotion-21:

Bill

2 hours ago, scalawag said:

Exactly.  There are few turntables that are self powered.  I don't believe the 201 or 02 have Phono, You need the R-S500 or better if a turntable is going to be your only source.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IbizaFlame said:

Exactly.  There are few turntables that are self powered.  I don't believe the 201 or 02 have Phono, You need the R-S500 or better if a turntable is going to be your only source.

The turntable we have is the AT LP120. It does have a line/phono switch on the back

Edited by TopherTorres

4 hours ago, willland said:

I believe we have a(the) solutuion to the problem.:emotion-21:

Bill

I looked at the instructions for your turntable. As best as I can tell the table has a line level output that goes through the proper equalization. Just slide the switch on the TT to the LINE output. It should sound right after that. 

19 minutes ago, TopherTorres said:

I took the jumpers out, everything is bi wired. We're returning the receiver and getting something bigger 

You don't need something bigger. A few watts will be plenty loud. Recheck your connections and settings and make sure everything is correct before you spend extra money.

• Like 1

That receiver is not made to Bi-Wiret that's why you cant hear it. The A-B switch is for 1 pair at a time. Take the Bi-wire crap off put the jumpers back on... turn on speakers A and I bet it works.. I wish Klipsch never included Bi-Wire option it causes a lot more problems with out much gain. Your receiver is 100 a channel that should run you out of the room. Its not a 2.1 ...no sub out put on it. just a plain stereo receiver.

You say your new to this just go basic for now.

On 1/10/2017 at 1:10 PM, ricktate said:

That receiver is not made to Bi-Wiret that's why you cant hear it. The A-B switch is for 1 pair at a time. Take the Bi-wire crap off put the jumpers back on... turn on speakers A and I bet it works.. I wish Klipsch never included Bi-Wire option it causes a lot more problems with out much gain. Your receiver is 100 a channel that should run you out of the room. Its not a 2.1 ...no sub out put on it. just a plain stereo receiver.

You say your new to this just go basic for now.

I tried everything, actually you can have both channels at a time and it works fine, just not loud enough. we returned everything, my wife wants to go vintage so... we're back to zero now. my in law brought his pioneer receiver and the speakers sounded totally different

At work our stereo died and the boss let me pick out something new but I could only spend 500 dollars total. I got the 202 receiver and 4 polk t15 speakers. I picked it because some wanted bluetooth. It sounds fine at work but we run it low volume most of the time anyhow. It does not get very loud up to 50. We run it on about 42 or so just to hear it. Its not a bad little amp for what we use it for but I've had cell phones that are heavier. I would want something better for the house. I would use this little guy in the garage or for a teen maybe just starting out. But its 149 bucks and looks great. I put a antenna up about 150 ft in the air at work and it does not pick up much if any better then my pt-100 tuner preamp with a outdoor antenna 20 ft in the air.