HERESY H DR 12

JoeM38

HD-R= Heresy Decorator - Raw(no finish applied to cabinet)....12=12" woofer.  Prior to the use of custom-ordered cabinet-grade Birch plywood, the decorator series was made out of marine-grade fir plywood.  And, for a time, even after the introduction of the birch plywood for the decorator series, the speaker back panels were still being sawn from marine-grade fir plywood.  These are an example of the all-fir-plywood construction.

5 hours ago, JoeM38 said:

Does anyone have any info on these Heresy speakers? Maybe an old brochure or price list?

I found info on the H700 or the newer 1970s birch heresy, but not these...

00o0o_hWcN3qWXCV1_600x450.jpg

It would be nice to see pics of the front of these.  Also, note that the speaker-wire terminal on the back panel is not in the upper center, where they were later moved to, with the label being applied to about where the terminal is in this pic.  Very seldom do you find a speaker this old which still has the supplied pie-slice logo attached to the rear panel, which was originally done on decorators so that the purchaser could paint them, stain them, whatever...PRIOR to the installation of the logo(s).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Budman said:

hey Andy, i believe these had grill cloth stapled around the frond and half way around the sides. pics have been deleted from CL

If the grill cloth was stapled to the front and half-way around the sides, then it was done by the purchaser.  Factory-installed grill cloth would have been folded under at the edges and stapled around the front edges and then had molding attached around the perimeter over the stapled edges. 

I was curious to see the hole for the mid-range horn lens...just wondering what the mid-horn lens shape was, so I could identify which horn lens was used.  The 12" woofer most likely had the red surround...was also curious about that.  I think these went through final assembly in 1972...if I read the S/N letter code correctly.

I picked them up late Sunday and removed the cloth.They look like a fresh built pair.

I have never seen a set quite like them.

I will try to take some pictures and post them up before the weekend if I have time.

They look like the 1000 Hz horn model from the website, but with the 700 Hz horn.

84ec2d7f92151ec5ff63afb48ad99a05.jpg.cf.jpg

• Like 1

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 7:04 AM, JoeM38 said:

Does anyone have any info on these Heresy speakers? Maybe an old brochure or price list?

I found info on the H700 or the newer 1970s birch heresy, but not these...00o0o_hWcN3qWXCV1_600x450.jpg

Based upon the MSRP of a pair of birch decorators in 1977, I would imagine that the dealer list price in 1972 for decorators was around $400 a pair...or a bit less...depending on shipping costs and dealer mark-up ("MSRP" had not yet entered the Klipsch corporate lingo in 1972).  I know for sure that the cost for a pair of HDBR Heresys was around $450 in 1975 thru the USAREUR Audio/Photo agency store in Vicenza, Italy, because I priced them at that time while stationed there, and the Audio Club prices were much lower than the MSRP was at the time (about 10-20% off MSRP!) .  MSRP for a pair of  HDBRs ran around $600 in December 1977.  And the company had three price increases from the time I started working there in July 1976 until December 1977...inflation was a pretty constant thing in those days (after 1974 the inflation really kicked in!)  Also, keep in mind that the production costs increased after the changeover from marine-grade fir plywood to the cabinet grade birch plywood, which would likely have made the ones made with fir plywood even lower in cost...but $400 a pair or up to $50 below that would have been about right for 1972.  The diminutive Heresy was the bread-winner for Klipsch...the most profitable speaker in the line-up because it was the least-complicated cabinet build, used the least amount of cabinet materials, and FAR more could be built in a single day...and sanded in a single day than anything else in the line.  As for its cost, a pair of HDBR Heresys was comparable in cost to a pair of JBL L-100 speakers (with the JBL 4311 monitors just a about $75 higher!).  That should give you and idea of cost comparison between brands/models of that time period.  The Heresy was a more efficient better performer than either of those JBLs, too!  JBL was using LDF for their cabinets for those models at that time, and if they were veneered, it was more likely than not that the formaldehyde gas-off from the LDF cabinets would cause the veneer to separate from its substrata in a few years...starting with "bubbles" forming under the veneeer...which would grow larger over time, eventually causing the peeling of the veneer from the LDF substrata.  Don't ask me how I know!