HERESY H DR 12

JoeM38

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

My early '70s JBL 4311s, which I still have, still have nice, firmly attached walnut veneer. I use them on my HK430 in my living room.

You're one of the lucky ones!  I have seen everything from L16, L26, L36, L100, and up doing the veneer bubble thing...especially so for OAK or ASH veneer...dunno why, but it seems the oak and ash veneered ones are far more susceptible to veneer/substrate separations.  My 4311s were WX, So I guess the paint on them kept a veneer separation from happening.  I also wonder if your 4311s were possibly built before JBL went to LDF for its cabinet panels??  I just know how they were constructed from 1975 onwards!

Found this elsewhere on the forum

Good info if somebody searches for info on the heresy hdr 12

X. HERITAGE PRODUCTION NOTES & TIME LINES:

1. HERESY:

• 1957: The Heresy is introduced as a center channel for the Klipschorn. It is the first Klipsch speaker that does not require corner placement. This model utilized the K-1000 midrange horn. These are rare, and one example in the Museum in Hope is the rarest of all the Klipsch Heritage speakers.
  • 1957 - 1959: Both 8" and 12" woofer versions were produced during this period.
  • 1967 - The H-700 is introduced in the now familiar format using a 12" K-22 woofer (There were several variants used E, EF, K) K-700 horn; K-55-V mid-range and the K-77 (T-35 type Alnico magnet) tweeter.
  • From this date through the end of the model run in 1985, various networks were used: Type C, Type E and Type E-2. All were variations on the same design.
  • 1972-1973: The Heresy's name is changed from H-700 to Heresy.

20 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

OK, so are those holes in the front face to secure the drivers?

Marine-grade Fir plywood's plys are MUCH "softer" than the plys of birch cabinet-grade plywood.  So, it would seem to be the obvious thing to do to use machine screws through the front panels to secure the drivers from the inside using nuts and washers when installing them onto the Fir plywood from inside the cabinet...especially considering the weight of the woofer and the mid-horn with driver.  Due to the better wood screw retention capabilities of the cabinet-grade birch plywood, the obvious choice would be to install the drivers using wood screws (which was how it was originally done using the birch for Heresy motorboards),  Use of T-nuts would have been possible prior to the end of marine-grade fir plywood use for the motorboard, but the common use of T-nuts on the front of the motorboard may not have been in existence until a few years prior to the changeover of plywood, and besides, the t0-nuts on the front of the motorboard would have been much more unsightly (without grille-cloth) than just the heads of machine screws.  My HDBLs have the industrial motorboards installed with the metal grille covering the woofers...using wood screws, but it is machine screws into t-nuts (installed ON those industrial motorboards) which attach the woofers to the industrial motorboards.  Thanks to Gwin Cox for suggesting the industrial motorboard installations when I returned the speakers for new woofers a few months after I bought them (the glue securing the woofer voice coil dust-covers to the cones had cracked on both woofers, which allowed in dust to the voice coils, and started them to rubbing!).  So while they were in for woofer replacement, the Heresy industrial motorboards were added.  Woofer protection is never a bad thing...and it really improved the aesthetics of the "flame twins".

Flame twins at Rodneys Place 2016.jpg

• Like 1