Help please 4.1

Cabbage

OK, I consider myself a smart guy...I know electronics decently well.

So I get my 4.1's today and decide to read the little instructions for the hell of it. I hook everything up, and get to the sentence:

3. Connect the IEC plug into the subwoofer amplifier panel. Once the system is properly set up and plugged in, turn the rear amp panel power switch to "on" (-) from off(o).

There is no rear amp panel power switch!! What the hell are they talking about, am I a complete idiot here, or what?!

If I turn the speakers up all the way, I can barely hear it, and that is inthe troubleshooting....."Assure that the amplifier main power switch is engaged"

What amplifier main power switch?!!?!? I'm pulling my hair out here, please help me. Apparently I am an idiot....

mine didn't say that. sure they're KLIPSCH 4.1's?

------------------

JOIN THE "AMY FOR PRESIDENT" CAMPAIGN. OUR PLATFORM:

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

PIII @ 1.08GHZ

SuperMicro PIIISCD I820 Mobo

192MB Crucial PC100

Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm ata66

Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm ata100

Generic DVD 4X

Creative 8x4x32x Burner

GeForce256 32mb DDR (orig)

3Com 905B-TX Lan

Netgear RT314 Gateway/Router

Philips Acoustic Edge

425w Power Supply

Triple Boot Me/2K/Whistler Build 2416

Klipsch Pro-Media 4.1's

umm... a floppy.

thats it, for now

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

yeah hey i ran into the same problem as you too!!!

i didn't see no switch... i don't think i did anyhting too it after i plugged everything switched on the power and the pc no sound i was baffled too but after switching the pc back on again still no sound i was like hmm... what's happening here.. then i tried again some how sound started coming out of it hehe

so i don't know how i got them to play with out the "so called switch" in the manual but its playing right now. sory i oculd be of any help. if only i could remember...

just letting you know that your not the only one that had taht problem.

that's wierd cabbage. you've double checked all the connections, main power is on? are they the original 4.1's or the new ones?

J

------------------

PIII @ 1.08GHZ

192MB Crucial PC100

Generic DVD 4X

Creative 8x4x32x Burner

3Com 905B-TX Lan

Philips Acoustic Edge

425w Power Supply

Klipsch Pro-Media 4.1's

umm... a floppy.

thats it, for now

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

What main power? It's plugged in and I get a green LED on the speakers when I turn them on.

They are the new ones, and I don't see any sort of switch on the back of the sub on the rear amp panel.....I have a SB Live! card, messed with tons of settings, cant get it to go any louder. If I crank everything up as high as possible, its loud, but not Klipsch loud. I shouldn't have to hardly turn it up at all to get loud. Can someone else with an SB Live tell me what DIN plugs they have going where into their soundcard please.

My soundcard connecters aren't colored either, they are all gold, if that helps you identify if we have the same soundcard. Shouldn't matter, they are used for the same thing on all models of Live! cards. I also have the digital card attached to it, but its not being used.

Another interesting tidbit....when I select digital output only, I only get low sound from the rear speakers...

Thanx for the help!

i dunno man, i got an AE and no probs here. The light on the front right sat is green, right (not that you're color blind or anything) check the manual on your live and make sure you don't have it connected into the mic jack or anything else by mistake. DOUBLE check that cause i used to have a live, and what the manual said and what was on the back of the card was totally different. maybe you got a bum pair of pro's, but i doubt it. ask amy the tech tommorrow morning when she checks the board, you can send em in to check em out. also, do you have another soundcard to try them out on? buddies or maybe a stock one on your mobo?

K

------------------

PIII @ 1.08GHZ

192MB Crucial PC100

Generic DVD 4X

Creative 8x4x32x Burner

3Com 905B-TX Lan

Philips Acoustic Edge

425w Power Supply

Klipsch Pro-Media 4.1's

umm... a floppy.

thats it, for now

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Yeah, I dunno, I know they are plugged into the correct spots on the sound card cause my line in is being used by my Tivo, and the mic has the mic in it. The other two spots are front and rear outs. I plugged the greenish cable into the front and the purple into the rear. The 4 speaker stuff is working, the problem is I can barely hear it.

you might have a bum amp, check with amy on monday.

J

------------------

PIII @ 1.08GHZ

192MB Crucial PC100

Generic DVD 4X

Creative 8x4x32x Burner

3Com 905B-TX Lan

Philips Acoustic Edge

425w Power Supply

Klipsch Pro-Media 4.1's

umm... a floppy.

thats it, for now

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

I dont know, I mean if I turn my WAV setting all the way up and the volume on the speaker all the way up, its pretty damn loud and the sub is pounding.

How high is your WAV settings, main power settings, and speaker volume for normal sound? Maybe its just me being stupid about it......but I know there is no mystery power switch on the back of the sub.

The problem may be I am just exhausted and cant think clearly. I think I may be jaded by the comment about turning the WAV setting to 50% in the manual. I turn the WAV to about 75% and the "play control" or main sound to about 75% and the speaker volume to about 50% and the subwoofer to about 25% and its pretty damn loud. Is that about right? I guess I was expecting more, maybe thats the problem. I get the colored LED's, the sub is warm, I guess its working....must...sleep...

I would appreciate your comments on your various volume settings and subsequent "loudness"

Thanx everyone

cab, like i said i got an AE, but i have windows main volume at 50%, wav volume at 50%, system treble at 38%, system bass at 60%, klipsch sub at 12 o'clock, surround at 10 o'clock, and klipsch volume it very loud at 12 o'clock.

------------------

PIII @ 1.08GHZ

192MB Crucial PC100

Generic DVD 4X

Creative 8x4x32x Burner

3Com 905B-TX Lan

Philips Acoustic Edge

425w Power Supply

Klipsch Pro-Media 4.1's

umm... a floppy.

thats it, for now

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Hey Cabbage, I think I have a Crystal sound card (came with my mobo and is integrated on my mobo) and I just got my new 4.1's and my manual says the same thing. My Windows settings are:

Master Volume: 100%

Wave: 100%

SW Synth: 100%

CD Player: 100%

PC Speaker: 100%

--------------------

Subwoofer: 10 o'clock

Surround: 100%

Main Volume: very little

And when I turn on my 4.1's they are pretty loud at only 9 o'clock. That's because my Windows settings are so high. If you try your Windows settings all the way up, you might get louder sound. But like someone else said, in worst case, you might have a bad amp. You better call up Klipsch if you don't have any success. BTW, my volume gets to be unbearably loud at 12 o'clock (Main Volume on pre-amp). Good luck.

*zen

OK, WAV at 100%, system volume at 75%, speakers at 12o'clock, sub at THX mark, and surround at 12 o'clock.

Tried some mp3's in winamp, turned winamp to 50% and its almost unbearably loud and oh so WONDERFUL!!!

The sub is pounding, my ears are bleeding, my neighbors are complaining....I think I have achieved success smile.gif

Thanx for everyone's help!!!

-Cabby