VPI turntable

mdbrien

I'm interested in purchasing a VPI Classic turntable. Can someone tell me if there are differences in sound quality between the Classic 1,2,3 which is now the signature and 4? I've read reviews the state the signature is the best sounding table... curious if anyone has experiences with these models?

Thanks

Sound should be VERY similar in those units as most of the difference comes not in sound quality but adjustability.

Once you get the carbon arm, you might get some noticeable sound, but really... they are all similar.

Having that much adjustability was awesome but to be honest, it's very much like a fine watch when you start getting into the classic 2 and above and it is very easy for a novice to do more damage than it is to set up some like that correctly.

I think most of the sound comes from a solid platter, solid plinth, good arm... and most importantly, a great cartridge. All that adjustability gets in the way some times. (Caviate: a great tube pre amp makes a huge difference as does a good SUT)

Thanks Schu for your feedback... I was particularly looking at the Classic 2 because of the "on the fly" adjustments that can be made. I can see myself settling on the Classic 1 as the adjustability is not going to be a deal breaker.

My current table is a Technics SL-1200MK2 with an Ortofon 2M Black playing through a Budgie tube phono pre-amp. My preamp is a McIntosh C46 with Aragon 8008MK2 amp. 60th Anniversary Klipschorns. 

My plan is to use the Ortofon 2M Black with the VPI. 

• Like 1

I sold my classic 2 with ruby tipped soundsmith aida cartridge not because it wasnt good, but because it wasnt worth the money in my humble o.

It worked and it did everything it was supposed to, but it didnt produce 3000-4000$ worth of goodness over say something like a hotrodded rega p5/p6.

It is an amazing machine with the adjustments, but do you want to sit there and tinker with it for hours on end? A C1 with a great cart is more than enough to satisfy.

I've owned many VPIs including the avenger. The classic 1-2 presents a major upgrade as the arm is diff and the vta becomes adjustable. After that's it goes 3D? The SS 10" arm is incredible. My favorite sound is my classic 1 with grado sonata ref.  I've had better systems but loved the warmth of that combo. 

My Classic 1 is plenty for me. I use the anti skate per Soundsmith instruction and Soindstage the online dealer. I live in the country so no place to audition. The adjustment is easier with the Soundsmith Counter Intuitive. The unipivot is a bit odd but the realism and soundstage are with it. The only upgrade I am making is to the stand. My stand is s flat footed wood stand that sits on carpet with significant padding underneath. In s spring cleaning upgrade I am going to install threaded spikes and potentially add a slab of rustic walnut to the top shelf for more mass and farmhouse aesthetics's. The stand is slightly wobbly if I lean on it.