deleted

Temper io

4 hours ago, GrapplesInStereo said:

Thanks for response!

You know, after I started this thread it occurred to me that maybe a better way to ask about pairing my CW IIIs with an integrated tube amp would've been to ask people which sub $3,000 (used) integrated would they recommend. So far I've looked at the following:

Leben CS300

VPI 299

Primaluna Dialogue Premium (or HP)

Audio Research VSi60 

Does this list change your response? If it helps I would listen to almost exclusively vinyl on my system with the majority of music being rock, electronic, and jazz. I'd probably stick with a MM cart.

Thanks!

Most of us would answer with  my amp, lol.  There are people with expensive and not very expensive tube amps all reporting good synergy and results.  Lemon String is right, you should be fine.  Check out some of the amp other forum members are using with their various speakers to get an ideal of what typle of tube amp wattage they are using.  It does not take much wattage to drive most of the Klipsch speakers so, focus in on some other qualities.

Try the Cornwall IIIs both in and out of the corner.  In the corner should give you stronger bass, and a little more headroom, but may need some acoustical absorbing material on each of the walls making the corner, starting where a yardstick placed flat across the front of the cabinet would hit the wall, and extending 2 feet forward along the wall from there.  A small amount of padding at the first reflection points, and a throw rug in front of the speakers at the point the tweeter sound would reflect off the floor to the Main Listening Position might be helpful, BUT don't overdamp the room.

If you get an integrated with a moving coil input, I'd strongly recommend a moving coil cartridge.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GrapplesInStereo said:

Thanks for the tips. Because of the shape of the room, I basically have no other option but to put the CWs in the corners ...

I'm going to put my speakers in the corners along the left wall. It's 13' 5". I would then put my listening chair/couch in front of the column that is about 12' off that wall. The space behind my listening position would be about 19'. I know I'm going to have a rug and window treatments, but I may need something more. I'll definitely save a link to those tips you gave.

Any MC/phono stage combos you're partial to? I know a lot of people like the Dynavector carts and phono stages, and I've considered those. But I'd like to hear your thoughts.

YvqjZn6.jpg

When we moved (about a decade ago) I went to digital only.  Someday I'll read new reviews of MC carts, arms and T.tables, because even SACDs and DVD-As do not sound as good as vinyl with MC, IMO.  Oddly, lossless Blu-rays (DTS Master Audio & Dolby True) do often sound good -- maybe it's a combination of the format and that the movie industry takes more time and spends more money than those who record music only disks.  My old MC combo used an Ortofon MC with the letter "L" in it for "light," an SME tone arm, and Thorens TT.  It sounded much better than any MM I ever heard, including a few more modern ones.  A lot of manufacturing water has gone under the bridge since then, so I'd hope that there has been much improvement ... but, in audio, things sometimes move in the opposite direction.  Scan the vinyl section of all forums for opinions, and listen to a few, if you can.

On 1/10/2017 at 10:36 PM, GrapplesInStereo said:

So, I listed out my 'must haves' and 'would like to haves' in a another reply, but I'll resist them here for you. They were:

Must have:

1 - Tube (from what I understand this is the way to go with CWs)

2 - Integrated (I'm trying to keep things simple. I'm not a tinkerer and don't care too much about having the flexibility of separates)

3 - Must be easy to use and maintain (because of a lack of shops/servicing in my area)

Would like to have:

1 - Remote

2 - Headphone out

Just looked up your Audion amp. That sounds like it's something I'd be into. Are you using one similar to this?

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audion-sterling-el34-anniversary-integrated-stereo-amplifier-tas-221/

Looks like it came as an integrated (with or without remote) or as a power amp. Is that right?

What made you choose that one? Any advice on how to price one out? I did't see any of the integrateds on any of the big sales sites just now. I'd be open to buying new if it were within my budget. I've definitely seen a lot of Klipsch fans raving about SET amps, and I would be completely open to going that route.

To answer your question, my EL34 is an older version and has the PCB. I do have their Sterling KT88 anniv model as well which is driving a pair of Fortes. My Sterling EL34 drives my Cornwall IIs. 

I choose the Audion amp initially because of much of the info you found in the Absolute Sound article, such as, hand built by one person through production, hand wound transformers, Class A, Single ended and the company states their commitment is to create products that are musical. Another great source for info on their approach and philosophy is on their US distributors website: http://trueaudiophile.com/pages/Audion.html

I think they offer a good value. They aren't cheap but they aren't any where near crazy audiophile prices either.

An interesting note I'll add, about two years ago Audion and Klipsch did a event together, in London, demonstrating the synergy between the Heritage line of speakers and Audion's single ended amplification. I had bought both of my amps previous to the event so it didn't play any influence on my purchase but I thought it was interesting and somewhat confirmed, for me, that I had made well informed purchases.

The Primaluna amps get good reviews and I think you'd be happy with the unit. I've spoken with the gent that is behind the Primaluna brand. He is very active in the audio community. His other company is upscaleaudio.com.  

To be honest he rubbed me the wrong way on one occasion. I ordered a pair of tubes from his website, the next day he calls me and asks what kind of amp I planned to use the tubes in. I tell him and he proceeds to tell me my amp is garbage compared to his Primaluna amps and that I should buy one of his. Personally I found this to be a bit offensive and a bit off putting. The company that manufactures my amp is small and hand builds their product not to mention that they've been doing so for over twenty years. Kevin had just launched his Primaluna brand that same year and they are built in China at a factory. Again his amps get good reviews and Im sure they sound good but it did rub me the wrong way as I mentioned. 

Good luck with your search for sonic nirvana. Be sure its out there. Your CWIII's are a great starting point. Honestly I think that the most important think to look for with your speakers is an amp that delivers good clean power, the first watt is the most important. For the most part you probably won't drive them with much more than one watt 99% of the time. That said you want an amp with a super low noise floor. Your CWs are sensitive, you want to hear music not your components. That low noise floor will create a black background that will deliver music in a holographic image in your room. Thats what I want anyway. The other thing that plays into this is how much does the amp require in terms of input? 

• Like 3

Grapples stereo

Thought you might find this of interest: http://ampsandsound.com/products/amps/bigger-ben/

the guy behind amps and sound is a good dude and a forum member, Justin Weber. 

Another option might be toolshed amplifiers: http://www.toolshedamps.com/products/

I believe this guy is a forum member too. 

Cheers

• 2 months later...

J'utilise un Cary Sli50 dans le médium-aigu et un McIntosch MC 2125 dans le grave, superbe sur mes CWIII ! Peut-être devriez vous écouter le SLi 80 de Cary sur vos CWIII ;)

I use a Cary Sli50 in the treeble-medium and a McIntosch MC 2125 in the bass, superb on my CWIII ! Maybe you should listen to the Cary SLi 80 on your CWIII ;)

727576DSC0284.jpg

Folks saying that you will like a particular amp because they do is analogous to saying that you will like Limburger cheese because they do.  The only way to make a judgment is to hear it in your own system and draw your own conclusions, which makes it imperative that you can return it if you are not satisfied.  With used equipment that is usually not possible, so you need to consider companies which offer a return privilege (Decware is an excellent example- it is worth calling Steve and discussing your needs).  

If you state your location there may be folks nearby who have tube equipment which they can bring over for you to have a listen.  Doing that may help to simplify your task.

Maynard  

• Like 1