I have too many tube amps............

tube fanatic

So, earlier, I complained to my wife that I've totally run out of space in which to store all of the demo and prototype amps which occupy too much real estate in the house and that I don't have any more places available for the new designs which are on tap for the next build season in the fall.  After giving me a very withered look she proposed her solution to the problem:  "Either start decommissioning some, or see if anyone would like to have one."  My spoiled (by me) local guys are so happy with the amps I've done for them that they are not looking for upgrades at the moment, and the thought of taking apart such excellent equipment is making my few remaining hairs fall out. 

I never sell on here, but figured I'd put it out there in case anyone wants to explore the world of flea-power.  Most of the amps are in the 1/3 to 4 wpc range.  And, many of the very low power units would make excellent headphone amps with a suitable adapter which you can make yourself.  Also, the extremely low power needs of many of the higher efficiency Klipsch speakers have already been discussed in detail on the forum.   Drop me a PM if you want anything or have questions, and we can try to figure something out.  A picture of just a few of the amps is attached.    

In anticipation of some of the likely questions, here are some answers:

Q: Will I love the sound of one of your amps?  A: I have no idea- it's totally subjective

Q: My CWs are in a 25 X 30 room, I sit 18 feet away, and listen at 105 db.  Are your amps powerful enough?  A: No

Q: I'm not happy unless bass drums make me feel as if I've been kicked in the chest by a mule when I'm 15 feet from the speakers.  Will your amps give me that?  A: No

Q: I have a pair of RP-260s in a 12 X 13 room, sit 8 feet from them, and listen at levels between 70 and 80 db maximum.  Can your amps give me goose bumps?  A: Yes

Q: I use R-15Ms on my computer desk, and they are 2.5 feet from where I sit when working.  Can flea power amps power them to moderate levels sufficiently?  A: Yes

Q: My cell phone headphone jack only puts out 300 mv.  Is that enough to drive your amps to full power?  A: maybe yes, maybe no and the load impedance may be too high.

Q: I want to try near-field listening, want to be totally immersed in the sound stage, and feel as if I'm in the presence of the performers.  Will the amps allow that?  A: Yes 

Q: My present amp has a single volume control and the sound stage is almost always to one side or the other, and rarely centered.  Can your amps allow centering?  A: Yes

Q: I prefer highs which are extremely crisp and bright (or smooth and a little rolled off).  Can you provide that?  A: Yes

Maynard

MVC-079F.JPG

• Like 11

I have no experience with tube amps whatsoever. I have been thinking about getting one to try them out and i love the look and of course the space.

I have a pair of Chorus IIs what are you selling that could power these. Also i have 2 kids under 7 years of age. anything you can tell me about kids and tube amps other than keep them the hell away? do they get extremely hot and how often does one replace the tubes? thanks. PM me if you'd like.

I have a Maynard amp and I highly recommend them. I've used with KP-201's, Cornwalls and RP-160m's in nearfield with excellent results. I drove Chorus speakers at last year's gathering in a noisy cavernous space from about 10ft - they ran out of steam in that environment, but no big surprise there.

Excellent craftsmanship, simple design aesthetic, and pleasant results.

You forgot one...

Q: Will your amp(s) be sufficient to run the K402/TAD in a biamped situation (presume yes)

Q: Are any of your amps already configured or, configurable to use balanced inputs?  (I'm guessing first is no, second is maybe/yes?)

ok, that was two.  I failed math...

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh fan of Maynard's work.  I'm lucky enough to have two of them.

Yes they have limitations, but with efficient speakers and a relatively smaller space, they are truly remarkably sounding. They are more suitable for line-stage operations rather then running a bunch of other sources at once.  The bass is solid, and defined and pretty dang powerful, in a near-field environment. The clarity  across the spectrum is peerless and they are sonically mesmerizing.

I cannot state this forcibly enough. The build quality is without peer.

Get one and then publicly  thank me.

So....... What do you have extra???

I have been saving to buy a tube amp....Id like to say you have no idea how hard it is to see all these speaker you want to buy...and keep saying ..No save for something special.

But it seems we all have audioidus.

So what is it!!!!

George

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I have a Maynard amp and I highly recommend them. I've used with KP-201's, Cornwalls and RP-160m's in nearfield with excellent results. I drove Chorus speakers at last year's gathering in a noisy cavernous space from about 10ft - they ran out of steam in that environment, but no big surprise there.

Excellent craftsmanship, simple design aesthetic, and pleasant results.

I heard this amp at Rodney's but thought it played with Forte? Regardless it sounded damn nice even in that not so friendly acoustic setting. Matter of fact I thought it sounded very good and compared very well with the Dennis Had amp I brought at probably 3 times the power. If I didn't have so damn many tube amps I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Hell, I still might!!

4 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

"Either start decommissioning some, or see if anyone would like to have one."

We can send man into outer space, explore the universe and can reproduce music as if it's live in out homes, but we still can't can't understand women. 

I'm sure that if some more of us were your neighbor, you'd have less amps.

GLWS

52 minutes ago, richieb said:

I heard this amp at Rodney's but thought it played with Forte? Regardless it sounded damn nice even in that not so friendly acoustic setting. Matter of fact I thought it sounded very good and compared very well with the Dennis Had amp I brought at probably 3 times the power. If I didn't have so damn many tube amps I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Hell, I still might!!

Doh, you're right.. They were indeed Forte's. That Dennis Had amp was quite a lovely amp as well.