My first setup

Stratus

Hi all,

This is my first setup and I need your assistance with one question that I am sure will be very easy for you to answer :D

I have a Sony 4K 65", two Klipsch R-28F, one R112SW and Denon AVR-X2200W.

My question is in regard to what cables/wires do you recommend me to use to connect the speakers and the SW. Also what kind of HDMI cable do you believe is good option for my system.

By the way, I wonder why the speakers and SW came without cables :unsure:

Anyway, I would like to hear your advices so I can buy all the stuff in order to have everything setup.

I appreciate your comments.

3 hours ago, IbizaFlame said:

I'd suggest going to monoprice and getting a digital coax cable for the sub, and pretty much any HDMI cable. 

Son of a gun, I didn't even know there was digital coax!  :o

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2683

26831.jpg

As for speaker wire...you should be able to get threaded copper wire at 14 or 16 gauges from the hardware store.

Ibeza, you let me down here, brother.  Don't get no hardware store gauges from no hardware store! (that's West Virginia lingo)  No no no, that's where the cheap stuff is.  I'm surprised you didn't send him to Walmart for some spools of RCA cable, which of course has no description of any kind on the label.

Since he's at Monoprice getting the fancy cables, I highly recommend OXYGEN FREE COPPER (OFC).  If it doesn't brag on the writeup or on the spool that it's OFC, it's not.  It only costs an extra couple of dollars, and it's the good stuff.

http://www.monoprice.com/search/index?keyword=speaker+wire+ofc

This speaker wire features two conductors made of high purity (greater than 99.95% pure), oxygen-free bare copper. Pure Bare Copper is a superior conductor to the copper clad aluminum (CCA) conductors used in most other inexpensive speaker wire. CCA is only about 68% as conductive as pure bare copper. This additional resistance is added to the impedance of your speakers and can negatively effect the sound.

For the wire to have no audible effect, the total wire resistance should be no more than 5% of the lowest impedance of your speakers. Even speakers rated for a nominal 8-ohms, may dip to as low as 4-ohms at some frequencies, which further reduces the total cable resistance allowed in the wire. Using Pure Bare Copper speaker wire ensures that the total load put on the amplifier remains as close as possible to the impedance curve of your speakers.

For example, a 16AWG 2-conductor Pure Bare Copper speaker wire has a total resistance of 0.803 ohms per 100 feet (both directions must be considered). By comparison, a 16AWG 2-conductor CCA speaker wire has a total resistance of 1.181 ohms per 100 feet. Assuming 4 ohms is the lowest impedance of your speakers, a speaker wire run can be no more 0.2-ohms total. 20 feet of 16AWG Pure Bare Copper would be 0.1606 ohms, well under the 0.2-ohm limit. On the other hand, 20 feet of 16AWG CCA would be 0.2362 ohms, well OVER the 0.2-ohm limit.

Do NOT get the banana plugs from Monoprice with the screw-on tips, as they come loose.  There is a recent thread on banana plugs, try searching on that if you want some good ones.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Ibeza, you let me down here, brother.  Don't get no hardware store gauges from no hardware store! (that's West Virginia lingo)  No no no, that's where the cheap stuff is.  I'm surprised you didn't send him to Walmart for some spools of RCA cable, which of course has no description of any kind on the label.

LOLWUT?

Since he's at Monoprice getting the fancy cables, I highly recommend OXYGEN FREE COPPER (OFC).  If it doesn't brag on the writeup or on the spool that it's OFC, it's not.  It only costs an extra couple of dollars, and it's the good stuff.

Fair 'nuff.

10 minutes ago, Stratus said:

In my case the length will be no more than 10ft per speaker. So if I use 16-12 will be more than enough, right?

Correct.  If you were normal then 16 AWG would be more than enough, 14 AWG would be better.  Few people who post here are normal.

I think most of the regular crazies use 12 AWG, and some of the really crazies use 10 AWG. 

+++

Be sure to get Oxygen Free Copper (OFC), accept no substitutes.  And if you need 50' of wire, buy 100'.  B)

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Correct.  If you were normal then 16 AWG would be more than enough, 14 AWG would be better.  Few people who post here are normal.

I think most of the regular crazies use 12 AWG, and some of the really crazies use 10 AWG. 

+++

Be sure to get Oxygen Free Copper (OFC), accept no substitutes.  And if you need 50' of wire, buy 100'.  B)

Thank you Dave.

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

+++

Dave, you mean this one?

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023903&p_id=2748&seq=1&format=2

OFC.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stratus said:

Dave, you mean this one?

That is the exact one I use.

It has a lot of little strands and the casing itself is soft and flexible.  Good stuff.

+++

You haven't said if you are using banana plugs or not.  If you do the 12 AWG might be a little large, but you can make it fit.  Believe it or not the cheaper 12 AWG has a case that is slightly smaller, this Monoprice 12 ga has a larger case and may not fit into the banana.  You can take a knife and trim the outside of the sheath to get it to fit.