My first setup

Stratus

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That is the exact one I use.

It has a lot of little strands and the casing itself is soft and flexible.  Good stuff.

+++

You haven't said if you are using banana plugs or not.  If you do the 12 AWG might be a little large, but you can make it fit.  Believe it or not the cheaper 12 AWG has a case that is slightly smaller, this Monoprice 12 ga has a larger case and may not fit into the banana.  You can take a knife and trim the outside of the sheath to get it to fit.

Dave, I saw the Speakers and Denon terminals and they do not need the banana plugs at all. Just pass the wire thru the connectors, tight/screw and that is it. Am I right?

I am buying the coaxial cable for the SW. It does have the banana plugs.

I just wonder if I only need one SW cable since 12SW has two RCA: L/LFE and R.

Thank you.

42 minutes ago, Stratus said:

As I understand on the SW manual, I should connect it using only the L/LFE directly to Sub 1 on my Denon, right? One cable only.

Thanks

That is correct.  When using the low level inputs on the sub, only one wire is needed.  Use the RCA to RCA cable from Monoprice that Ibeza Flame recommended earlier in the thread.  It has the proper impedance and is well shielded, very thick.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That is correct.  When using the low level inputs on the sub, only one wire is needed.  Use the RCA to RCA cable from Monoprice that Ibeza Flame recommended earlier in the thread.  It has the proper impedance and is well shielded, very thick.

Perfect. Will do that.

I appreciate your assistance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

One more question. For the RCA to RCA coaxial cable, the shorter the better?

Thank you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stratus said:

One more question. For the RCA to RCA coaxial cable, the shorter the better?

In general this is true.  You don't want a 100' cable when you only need 10'.  If you need 10' the 25' cable won't hurt the sound especially in the low frequencies and will give you added flexibility in placement.  Things never seem to remain where we first place them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

In general this is true.  You don't want a 100' cable when you only need 10'.  If you need 10' the 25' cable won't hurt the sound especially in the low frequencies and will give you added flexibility in placement.  Things never seem to remain where we first place them.

Got it B)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stratus said:

Dave, I saw the Speakers and Denon terminals and they do not need the banana plugs at all. Just pass the wire thru the connectors, tight/screw and that is it. Am I right?

You are correct. For both the speaker side and Denon side, bare wire is perfectly acceptable.  I use the bananas because it seems I am constantly swapping out speakers and AVR's.  For that purpose they are super handy.  For increased sound quality, it will make NO difference whatsoever. 

If I am using bare wire I like to tin the ends so they don't fray.  It's not necessary, just something I like to do to keep the individual strands from having a loose strand touch another wire.

I am buying the coaxial cable for the SW. It does have the banana plugs.

I think you meant to say RCA ends.  The coax does have the RCA connectors.

I just wonder if I only need one SW cable since 12SW has two RCA: L/LFE and R.

And yes, you need one one coax cable with RCA's at each end for the sub.  There is actually a technique where you can use a L/R instead of the single RCA but it does make any appreciable difference in the sound.  The sub only uses a mono signal and L/R is not needed.  There is no such thing as a stereo sub.

You should also know your questions are good ones.  There are a lot of connectors on the sub and it is not intuitive which ones are preferable for best performance.

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You are correct. For both the speaker side and Denon side, bare wire is perfectly acceptable.  I use the bananas because it seems I am constantly swapping out speakers and AVR's.  For that purpose they are super handy.  For increased sound quality, it will make NO difference whatsoever. 

If I am using bare wire I like to tin the ends so they don't fray.  It's not necessary, just something I like to do to keep the individual strands from having a loose strand touch another wire.

I think you meant to say RCA ends.  The coax does have the RCA connectors.

And yes, you need one one coax cable with RCA's at each end for the sub.  There is actually a technique where you can use a L/R instead of the single RCA but it does make any appreciable difference in the sound.  The sub only plays uses a mono signal and L/R is not needed.  There is no such thing as a stereo sub.

You should also know your questions are good ones.  There are a lot of connectors on the sub and it is not intuitive which ones are preferable for best performance.

Dave,

Yes I meant RCA for the coax cable for the SW.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions that I thought were stupid since I am new on this business.

See you.

• Like 2

Hi All,

Last Friday I received all the cables so my speakers and SW are already connected to my Denon X2200W :D

I have a question. I did the setup using Audyssey. Everything sounds good but I need to pop up the volume until 50 to 60 in order to hear a good volume level even at night.

So I wonder if I did something wrong or if it is normal because the power of my AVR.

I appreciate your comments.

Regards.

• Like 1

I don't know that this is necessarily what is happening, just remember that not all volume scales are created equal.  My Yamaha 2500 required me to have volume at -40 dB in order to get respectable sound out of it - the models prior (730) only required volume at -60.  However, -30 and -20 on the 2500 were considerably loud.  I couldn't go beyond -20.

• Like 1