Mismatched Subwoofers - OK or not?

zdude

I have a Velodyne HGS18 sub and a Sunfire Jr true subwoofer that I just had the surrounds replaced in (surround was like a truck inner-tube). Not necessarily talking these 2, but if I were to come across a nice quality 12" or 15" sub at a reasonable cost I have considered adding to the HGS / Klipsch home theater I'm putting together in a 30' X 20' room with a 12' peaked ceiling. The Sunfire is part of my wife's surround home theater in the den and would cost me an *** whipping if I snaked her's for my system. Anyway, with knowing how bass waves have a tendency to cancel out each other, would I face a problem? And if so, is there ways to overcome this, possibly by matching with another HGS18 or something very close? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated -Thanks.

Edited by zdude
spelling issues
  • Like 1

The more subs the better I've found and they usually compliment each other if set up correctly. I like running stereo subs for the main front channels and an additional LFE channel, that would be perfect world for me.

I had a Velodyne FSR-15 running with a Klipsch RSW-10 and they worked exceptionally well together. I crossed the Velodyne over quite low at around 40hz if I remember correctly.

1 minute ago, jason str said:

Matched subwoofers are best and easiest to integrate.

I would agree with this 100% if you are talking about high quality subs but I have found that a lot of subs usually do one end of the bass spectrum better than the other. The Sunfire subwoofers for example as really good at low bass, especially for their size but don't do the higher bass notes as well as say the RSW line.

The FSR-15 I had was actually pretty decent at the lowest bass notes but seemed "slow" for upper bass. The RSW-10 is exceptional for music and upper or mid bass but does not hit really low. Together these two subs can handle a wider range of bass and sound really high quality. To get a single sub that can perform as good as these two together would likely cost more than the pair.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jason str said:

No such thing as stereo subwoofers unless you are crossing them over much higher than they are supposed to be.

By "stereo" I mean a separate sub for each front channel, only being fed each channel's signal. Set up this way you can cross them over at whatever frequency you need depending on which main speakers you are using. I have my HIP's sitting on subs in this configuration with a crossover point at 80hz.

• Like 1

The OP has a large room and the more subs the better.  Even identical subs in different location will not have the same FR.  So, yes you can mix them.  Keep the smaller, less powerful sub closer to the MLP.  This is a good read for setting them up:http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95817

A FR graph would be help but, is not needed.  A spl meter can be used to add the second sub.  Set the phase on the first sub to 0.  Add the second sub and switch the polarity between 0 and 180.  Keep the reading with the highest spl.  The final spl should be greater than the first sub alone.

52 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

By "stereo" I mean a separate sub for each front channel, only being fed each channel's signal. Set up this way you can cross them over at whatever frequency you need depending on which main speakers you are using. I have my HIP's sitting on subs in this configuration with a crossover point at 80hz.

It is best to feed the subs a single signal.  A mono sub system works best since most of the imaging or directional bass is from above the subwoofer passband.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

It is best to feed the subs a single signal.  A mono sub system works best since most of the imaging or directional bass is from above the subwoofer passband.

That's how I have them running now but not when I move to a larger room. I've experimented around several times and came to the conclusion that stereo subs work best when using smaller mains. Some music has bass notes separate in each channel and it adds to the effect when the bass moves from one side to another. A song that really stands out right off the top of my head is "No Rest for the Wicked."

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

I've heard people talk about the use of 2.2 systems.  Some are using two subs getting the same signal and others are running one sub off the right channel and the other sub off the left channel.  You have to have high level connection of your sub for this.  I have a sub next to each main speaker and for music it's a 2.2 system but, It not stereo bass.  I do think for music two subs is best for integrating with the mains in some type of 2.2 setup.

• Like 2

Sunfire amplifiers have dual RCA inputs / outputs per channel for daisy chaining, makes it really easy to run subs off of any channel you want. For my main set up in the future I'll be running an electronic crossover between my processor and main amp / sub amp basically bi-amping mains to subs while using the sub output for the LFE channel.

4007bcklft (1024x768).jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info, it will take some time to process all this. I am sure that 2 subs are better than 1 and 4 better than 2 at this point. Looks like I'm going to have to come up with another sub to play with, I love this stuff anyway so it's like a kid in a toy store being turned loose! I have even thought of a DIY project using an 18" Dayton sub speaker and amp. Yep, I love this stuff!  Thanks everybody!

• Like 1

Take a look at my family room rig.  A pair of Klipsch RT-10ds in the corners, SVS SB13 Plus on the left side and a Revel B15 on the left side.  I will not tell it was quick and easy to integrate but through several hours/days of trial and error, I think I got it "right".  The photo below is when I had the fifth sub, RSW-10d before I moved it to the living room.

Bill

HT with all five subs.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, willland said:

Take a look at my family room rig.  A pair of Klipsch RT-10ds in the corners, SVS SB13 Plus on the left side and a Revel B15 on the left side.  I will not tell it was quick and easy to integrate but through several hours/days of trial and error, I think I got it "right".  The photo below is when I had the fifth sub, RSW-10d before I moved it to the living room.

Bill

HT with all five subs.jpg

Subwoofer party

• Like 2

Damn Willand, that's as impressive "Sub - terranean" room as I've seen. I'd like to watch submarine the movie "UC 571" on that system. I felt the HGS18 Velly would put out sound below hearing threshhold when the sub dived to avoid the debt-charges, always felt like pressure in the ears when you go underwater. Cool effect that really impressed friends, specially when stuff started falling off walls upstairs - LOL!

Holtrp, I see you have 4 of the big Dayton 18" subs. What amp did you use, I think they have a couple of options in their catalog? Did you build them yourself or buy them put together. If you built them, did you build your own boxes or use pre-fabbed boxes? Sorry for so many questions but this project is growing my interest more than other options.