What's everyone think of the SVS PB-16 ultra?

AaronB123

I am absolutely more than pleased with my SVS SB13 Plus.  The SB16U is a beast and I bet it sounds like a beast.  Some will tell you that other ID subs offer more bang for the buck and I am sure some do, but SVS builds a darn good sub.  Yes you could build a DIY sub for less $$$ and it most likely will out perform but that would be a choice one would have to make.  

With that said, I would love to have a pair of SB16 Ultras.

Bill

Meh, better deals to be had out there.

Similar to Bose in my opinion, all marketing and mediocre overpriced products.

Have not heard the new series of subs, nor do i care to but if i happen to stumble upon one i will gladly voice my opinion as always.

The OP asked about SVS in general as well as the new subs, my comment was aimed towards the products in general.

Certainly you are entitled to your opinion on any brand. In my opinion, just about no other audio manufacturer comes close to Bose's borderline criminal marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grizzog said:

Certainly you are entitled to your opinion on any brand. In my opinion, just about no other audio manufacturer comes close to Bose's borderline criminal marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's funny someone posted a bash about Bose on the Klipsch owners group on facebook and I have to say I know they do make some garbage and overpriced products but I was at a concert a couple months ago and happened to notice the speakers were all Bose and to be honest it was the best sounding concert I had ever been to. I think Bose professional equipment might actually be good. I looked up there Pro gear and they do have some nice stuff, some even horn loaded. 

9 minutes ago, holtrp said:

Though I have never heard an SVS or JTR in person, I think it would be hard to find much of anything that would stand up to the Captivator.

They use actual 1/2 space measurements to give a good idea how they should perform.

The mass market subs like SVS, PSA and HSU do cost more.  These companies have to run a business, pay employees, legacy cost, insurance, etc.  DIY is a better bang for you bucks but, someone people don't want to build subs, mess around with pro amp and the like.

I have listened to the SB-16 and it sounded really good. The SVS exhibit also had a PB-16 display with a cutaway unit so you can see the internal construction of the heavy duty cabinet. Very impressive. These are very large cabinets that may not fit well in some listening rooms, as is the case with many high output subwoofers, but if you want serious bass and can find the space, go big from the start and avoid buying and selling a bunch of smaller compromise subwoofers.

• Like 1