Capacitor life

heresy

On 3/11/2017 at 0:18 PM, dtr20 said:

I've noticed that older heritage crossover caps seem too last longer compared to some of the newer style circuit board crossover caps. I just recently had my 77 khorn crossovers recapped due to a mid-range driver noise. I've had chorus ii's and klf30s that needed to be recapped which are decades newer.

Paper in oil (PIO) caps in crossovers are usually very long-lived. Their original use was as motor run caps for air conditioners and heavy machinery. (Motor start caps are not for audio use).  In crossovers, PIO motor run caps are coddled compared to the surges and temperatures spikes they see in an air conditioner or big table saw.

In my experience, the Heritage caps work well to about 30 years, give or take, depending on how much they are used.  More use, more life.

My La Scalas were mismatched, an '80 and an '81 model.  To make them match I first switched the '81 squawker to a K-55-V.  And bought new crossovers.

To make my crossovers match, I replaced the caps in both Type AAs with Hovland Musicaps.  I have liked them for for the last 19 years.  :o  I'd recommend you try the new Musicaps. 

Been thinking about that 19 years.  WOW!  Lots have happened in that time, ie. 2.2 dog lives.  :huh:  Explains the price increase of the Musicaps, too.  LOL!!!! 

On 1/12/2017 at 11:57 AM, heresy said:

hello , I have a question , can anyone tell when do need to recap the crossovers  of heresys  ,  after how many years because my heresys are 33 years old now .

thank in advance for  tips or advice.

I replaced capacitors on my Heresy 1's 1977 vintage and I was quite surprised in the difference it made! The really opened up. I just used the kit from Bob Crites. Well worth the effort.