Artificial sweeteners

Srinath

Insulin is the gatekeeper of fat. If its up, fat flows into cells. If down, fat flows out. Simple. Get rid of it, and be calorie deficient and you lose weight, exercise optional.

With a 2000 calorie deficit a day you should lose just about 2/3 of a lb a day if its mostly fat. Its split as ~1/2 lb fat and 1/6th lb water. Why ??? Fat has less water than your overall body.

Cool.

Srinath.

My doctor told me to lose 15 pounds and eliminate the following:

1...White bread, buns, and switch to wheat everything.

2...No pasta

3...No white potatoes but sweet potatoes OK.

4...No soft drinks period.

5...No sweet wines period.

6...No egg yolks

7...No processed food---TV dinners, canned vegetables, canned beans, etc. (One tiny can of beans has twice the sugar that's in a classic coke)

8...No candy, cake, cookies, mayonnaise, French dressing, ice cream, pies, and the like.

9...Only two beers a day (The Hospital puts you into the alcoholic treatment automatically if you tell them you have two drinks per day)

10. No French Fires or fast food.

11. No sugar in coffee or anything else.

12. No butter or margarine.

13. Eat all the raw vegetables, chicken, turkey and well cooked meat.

14. No red meat.

I decided to listen to my doctor because she is a very good looking women. So I lost 30 pounds, my Glucose went

from 125 to 89, all cholesterols way under the maximum limits, triglycerides 50 % under the max limit, and no more headaches from overeating,

and weight from 205 to 178.

I have found out the following info that may be of great help to people:

1...Relatives  give a crap less  about sugar or salt in food and will try to embarrass you into eating the stuff.

2...A tiny can of processed beans contains 24 grams of sugar while a Classic Coke contains 11 grams.

3...Processed food is a detriment to losing weight.

4...I know how much food to eat to lose 2 tenths of a pound per day.

5...I know how much food to eat to maintain my current weight.

6...I know how much food to eat to gain weight.

7...Weaning off sugar takes some time but don't push it too hard.

8...Eye of round and top round meats are the leanest and they also cook 20% faster than fatty meats.

9...Hamburgers are available in ground round and ground turkey.

10. French dressing is almost 50% sugar.

11. Hot dogs are available made of turkey.

12. Vegetables are available in large bags untreated with anything.

13. Chicken at most of the local grocery stores are soaked in a salt and sugar solution for 24 hours before roasting.

14..Salt substitute tastes a touch different but is less intense and is potassium not sodium. It's also hard to find at the stores.

There have been no studies/evaluations made using a salt substitute in place of regular salt yet.

15. I use sugar free items using the new alcohol base sugars which are 50 % easier to for the kidneys to handle than pure sugar. These are being used in candy, pudding, fruit cups,

etc.

16. The sugars in fruit are easy for your body to handle.

17. When you see someone making strawberry shortcake pouring sugar into it run like hell.

18. None of this stuff helped my short term memory though so I have to do what all the old people do now and that is get a business card made up with all of your info to give someone so they don't forget your name or phone number.

JJK

10 minutes ago, Srinath said:

100% - you got me. I know quite a few 1's. And kids with it. You have to be treated, and take shots etc etc. My heart goes out to you.

As diseases go, at least manageable. I use a pump.  Had continue glucose monitoring until I retired and our Medicare doesn't cover it.  That was very good and would alert me in the night if my blood sugar went low.  However, I've adjust to constant testing manually and have even improved a bit at control.  I don't hold with meat bashing...it's what we evolved to eat and the Inuit ate pretty much a hundred percent fat for eons and did just fine.  I have always felt that Atkins concepts were both evolutionarily sound and it stands to reason that it's harder to make fat FROM fat that from the raw materials like sugar. 

In any event, I rely on good meat and just enough potatoes, rice, etc to provide such carbs as I require.  I generally eat twice a day.  But if I want a banana split I have a BIG one and shoot 75 or so units of insulin to cover it.  Works out just fine. 

Dave

10 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

1...White bread, buns, and switch to wheat everything.

2...No pasta

3...No white potatoes but sweet potatoes OK.

4...No soft drinks period.

5...No sweet wines period.

6...No egg yolks

7...No processed food---TV dinners, canned vegetables, canned beans, etc. (One tiny can of beans has twice the sugar that's in a classic coke)

8...No candy, cake, cookies, mayonnaise, French dressing, ice cream, pies, and the like.

9...Only two beers a day (The Hospital puts you into the alcoholic treatment automatically if you tell them you have two drinks per day)

10. No French Fires or fast food.

11. No sugar in coffee or anything else.

12. No butter or margarine.

13. Eat all the raw vegetables, chicken, turkey and well cooked meat.

14. No red meat.

I decided to listen to my doctor because she is a very good looking women. So I lost 30 pounds, my Glucose went

from 125 to 89, all cholesterols way under the maximum limits, triglycerides 50 % under the max limit, and no more headaches from overeating,

and weight from 205 to 178.

1...Relatives  give a crap less  about sugar or salt in food and will try to embarrass you into eating the stuff.

2...A tiny can of processed beans contains 24 grams of sugar while a Classic Coke contains 11 grams.

3...Processed food is a detriment to losing weight.

4...I know how much food to eat to lose 2 tenths of a pound per day.

5...I know how much food to eat to maintain my current weight.

6...I know how much food to eat to gain weight.

7...Weaning off sugar takes some time but don't push it too hard.

8...Eye of round and top round meats are the leanest and they also cook 20% faster than fatty meats.

9...Hamburgers are available in ground round and ground turkey.

10. French dressing is almost 50% sugar.

11. Hot dogs are available made of turkey.

12. Vegetables are available in large bags untreated with anything.

13. Chicken at most of the local grocery stores are soaked in a salt and sugar solution for 24 hours before roasting.

14..Salt substitute tastes a touch different but is less intense and is potassium not sodium. It's also hard to find at the stores.

There have been no studies/evaluations made using a salt substitute in place of regular salt yet.

15. I use sugar free items using the new alcohol base sugars which are 50 % easier to for the kidneys to handle than pure sugar. These are being used in candy, pudding, fruit cups,

etc.

16. The sugars in fruit are easy for your body to handle.

17. When you see someone making strawberry shortcake pouring sugar into it run like hell.

18. None of this stuff helped my short term memory though so I have to do what all the old people do now and that is get a business card made up with all of your info to give someone so they don't forget your name or phone number.

JJK

I'd have added this 1 item to your list. Mostly cos I like this but it would have got you there faster.

Skip breakfast. Or just black coffee, or tea. Then slowly move lunch later and later, and dinner earlier and earlier, till you're eating in a 1hr window.

I did that for 28 or so days, till Oct 12th, when I forgot to eat, bingo, 2 day fast, it was so easy, I went to 3, then 5, and then I had my blood test on Oct 26th. Then did an 8, then a 6 (due to a disastrous set of cramps and poor trouble shooting) then 9, 9, 19, 4, 2, 1, 5, 5, 2, 2, and the current 9.

Guys I've heard all the comments before. They have been ironed out in several 1000 Type 2's Dr Fung has cured. If something worked for you, great, its likely due to the biomarkers you started out with, but those are not my bio-markers. And more interestingly, the first 20 went without me doing anything. A 20 lb weight loss is the little headphones with the name Klipsch on them that are cobbled up by orphans in china whose parents had their land confiscated and sent to "re-education though labor" camps where the parents worked to death. yea its a klipsch alright. It says so right on it. I'd say real weight loss begins after the 40lb mark. A 100 lb loss is a 1959 Khorn. I am not there yet. I plan to get there, and if this cumulative softball sized clumps are  not gone, keep going till they are.

Tomorrow my bio markers will tell me how I did from my 1/2 way point to now. Insulin level before (would have been nice) during was 5.1 and a second during - and maybe 1 more at the end. Those tells the full story.

Cool.

Srinath.

9 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

A person could quibble with some of the items, but on the whole, it's a very sound reasoning.  

That is a very "advertised" reasoning. Excellent marketing department, both coke and pepsi have endorsed it. That's a collective $30 trillion world wide.

Same geniuses who push stevia and criticize sucralose.

Cool.

Srinath.

Sound reasoning by our Puritan self beating system, but not good science.  Both sides of my family were depression era people.  They ate meat, potatoes, and all the fat they could get.  No obesity, heart disease, or significant cancer on either side.  My grandmother always asked me at the table about the fat I cut away "Are you going to eat that?" and finished it.  She died at a 100.  I was raised a bit better.  Meat, starch, green vegetable, and bread.  Still no obesity in my family or children.  We are designed to live on whatever is handy...when eaten to our needs only and when it's basic food. 

The problem isn't our diets...it's ourselves.  People eat crap, and too much of it. 

Dave

28 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

1...White bread, buns, and switch to wheat everything. <- Wheat is wholesome, but has higher insulin spike, but its richer in nutrients and fiber.

2...No pasta - Usually better than bread - and look up "resistant starch" you'd know its way better than any type of bread.

3...No white potatoes but sweet potatoes OK. Weirdly white potatoes are worse than sweet. But In a world where they check Blood glucose but not blood fructose and blood galactose - this is a baseless switch.

4...No soft drinks period. True that.

5...No sweet wines period. Again true,

6...No egg yolks - Grrrrrrr - weird one, but calories are higher and so is fat in yolk.

7...No processed food---TV dinners, canned vegetables, canned beans, etc. (One tiny can of beans has twice the sugar that's in a classic coke) - True

8...No candy, cake, cookies, mayonnaise, French dressing, ice cream, pies, and the like. True

9...Only two beers a day (The Hospital puts you into the alcoholic treatment automatically if you tell them you have two drinks per day) I would have gone to 0 here but OK.

10. No French Fires or fast food. Of course

11. No sugar in coffee or anything else. You're gonna have to stay that way don't you - heck you're gonna keep up all this all your life.

12. No butter or margarine. - OK, high calorie.

13. Eat all the raw vegetables, chicken, turkey and well cooked meat. Low calorie and fiber and nutrient dense. Yes, I did too.

14. No red meat. - weird one, but high calories -

You were on the classic Calorie reduction as primary diet. Didn't touch you insulin. May have even raised it. Did you get those numbers from before and after ???

28 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

and weight from 205 to 178. 10% of your body weight can be water that's shed easily. In fact "Peter atiya" doctor and avid cyclist has lost 15lbs in a single day in just water.

1...Relatives  give a crap less  about sugar or salt in food and will try to embarrass you into eating the stuff. - True.

2...A tiny can of processed beans contains 24 grams of sugar while a Classic Coke contains 11 grams. LOL, but beans have fiber, and resistant starch (what beans)

3...Processed food is a detriment to losing weight. True.

4...I know how much food to eat to lose 2 tenths of a pound per day. LOL, 2/10 it ~400 calories under your expenditure. and if you have lots of insulin you can get away with being just 200 under, cos that will eat muscle. Muscle is less calorie dense and more of it will be burned when you have tons of insulin.

5...I know how much food to eat to maintain my current weight. OK

6...I know how much food to eat to gain weight. OK

7...Weaning off sugar takes some time but don't push it too hard. Yes, sugar lobby started the "war on fat" in the 60's and coke and pepsi picked it up and ran with it, sponsoring all the "health studies" in the last 15 yrs

8...Eye of round and top round meats are the leanest and they also cook 20% faster than fatty meats. OK

9...Hamburgers are available in ground round and ground turkey. Yea OK.

10. French dressing is almost 50% sugar. LOL, most dressing is garbage, I mix mayo, horse radish, pepperoncini, 1/2 a habanero and garlic and spread it on everything. Fat and spice. Awesome, you want 0 calorie - take out the mayo and use some of the pepperoncini liquid.

11. Hot dogs are available made of turkey. Yea

12. Vegetables are available in large bags untreated with anything. Yea, but most veggies have been selectively bred to death.

13. Chicken at most of the local grocery stores are soaked in a salt and sugar solution for 24 hours before roasting. Yes stupid.

14..Salt substitute tastes a touch different but is less intense and is potassium not sodium. It's also hard to find at the stores. OK

15. I use sugar free items using the new alcohol base sugars which are 50 % easier to for the kidneys to handle than pure sugar. These are being used in candy, pudding, fruit cups, Sugar alcohols aren't home free. Bad or worse than sucralose.

etc.

16. The sugars in fruit are easy for your body to handle. Nope. Only cos we don't ever measure for them in our blood. Ask for a Blood fructose and a blood galactose test. Fructose is murder on the liver.

17. When you see someone making strawberry shortcake pouring sugar into it run like hell. LOL, probably because Strawberries are loaded with fructose and the pores are filled wit hpesticides. Sugar is the least of your worries.

18. None of this stuff helped my short term memory though so I have to do what all the old people do now and that is get a business card made up with all of your info to give someone so they don't forget your name or phone number. LOL. I got far far far better mentally till the last 10 or so lbs.

JJK

I've put in what I have observed in each line.

Cool.

Srinath.

Here is just 2 small points to remember.

1. Human body is designed to burn fat, and use fat as primary fuel source. Not carbs, carbs are the nitrous bottle, fat is the unleaded. That's why there is many many pathways for fat burning and just 1 (insulin) for carb.

2. Humans especially of European descent went for many many weeks if not months without eating. Why ? hunter gatherers and farmers had very little to eat in winter.

Look those up if you prefer. We don't reverse 50,000 years (or even more) of evolution in 50 years of coke and pepsi.

Cool.

Srinath.

TBH with you guys, chasing the last 10 lbs is no where near as easy as the first 90 was. There are days where my body is in shutdown mode all day. I drink sparing quantities of oil (olive oil, avocado oil, MCT oil, coconut oil, flax oil, butter and ghee - sometimes all in tight sequence) and that is mostly in an effort to stay calorie deficient and yet provide enough to burn and keep me going. But before I hit the 150 mark and stayed under 150 (about 10th dec), I was flying high. Good energy, and good mental clarity and happy and ready for anything. Today is a great day, but yesterday and day before weren't. Today I drank about a TBSP of olive oil to go move stuff from my house to the storage container, and realized it was 75 degree outside and the 150-200 calories of olive oil are a waste.

If you start @ 240 lbs The first 20 ~10% - walk in the park. The next 70 ~30% are a jog through a hilly forest. The last 10% are a climb up a cliff.

Cool.

Srinath.

5 minutes ago, babadono said:

Starving yourself will not teach your body to burn fat. It will teach your body to store as much as possible. You will not fool the organs in your body to do the opposite of what they were designed to do.

Ummm no. Rather, completely irrelevant. As per my wife, I downed over 1500 calories (and she could be exaggerating) on dec 10 and 11. So I am not starving by any stretch of the imagination. IMHO. F.A.S.T stands for Fat, Acid, Salt and Tea. LOL. Today was a great day, barely 2 tbsp. oil, maybe 4-5 of heavy cream, and nothing else with any calories. And 3/4 way through my 9th quart of water. Great day, I moved some audio equipment into my container and had a issue free work day. Beautiful day. This being a 144lb, 5' 10.5" man with a small/medium frame. Yea, I claimed I was large. and oh yea, I turned 48 today.

So let me be clear. I am not starving. I am getting rid of insulin. No insulin = no way to store fat. There is no way for your body to do any storage without insulin. However no insulin is not possible. Insulin is a continuum. @ insulin level of 2 you're storing probably 1/2 of what you would @3 and so on. Every number up, doubles the fat storage ability. 2 would be in Peter Atila territory. He said he can eat 200 gm simple carbs in 1 sitting if he had adequate prep time and still not get out of ketosis. For me, that number is closer to 100. Of course I don't weight train or ride a bicycle like a maniac. I drive this here desk all day and sometimes all night.

However if you haven't eaten and have an energy expenditure your body produces a nasty little hormone called Ghrelin. The only purpose of Ghrelin is to hurt you enough to want to eat. There is just about 2 hrs where it is active, cos more than that will burn your stomach lining. Then ghrelin disappears and is replaced by a hormone called cortisol. This guy turns you hyper (you have to hunt for food) and stores fat.

You have to stop the ghrelin. A nice little sip of olive oil, or a tsp of butter will do it quite nicely, give you a tasty mouth feel and fuel you for 10-20 mins, in which time your body has tapped into the nice fat buffet it has on board.

Only problem is, if you're driving a desk for a living like me, that lasts 1/2 hr, maybe an hour, before the way to the buffet has been forgotten. You have to repeat the butter/oil. Especially if the buffet is running low.

So If you're 100 lb overweight, easy, 1 time you show your body the way to the buffet, it will keep running up there and burning like crazy, to the extent that 4 days after you eat, your base metabolism has increased. Then you get ~9 days of a return to normal metabolic rate, after which you run a small risk of dropping metabolism and muscle loss. However on my 19 and 3/4 day fast, I managed fine on day 17-19, bad days were 14-15. If I recall, but I believe it was due to the fact that I did nearly nothing on those 2 days. I ate oil and butter. And pure fat mayo, mustard, peppers etc.

Really, you need to be in the low teens for Body fat % for any issues to come up with your body burning fat. Even so, strategic eating of fat will get you past those little bumps in the road.

I ate 5-6 table spoons of Mayo, horse radish, garlic and pepper mashed up yesterday, and still was in shutdown mode. I guess I have more bad days than good, but I recognize these days for what they are and compensate. Nice warm day like today with nice light activity lugging audio equipment and playing with the neighbors cat all helped get over the mid-day hump. Plus the fact I have 4 warm days coming and I'm gonna be planting some goji berries soon all have me pepped up. Scales are coming tomorrow, will tell me all sorts of things, and I'm getting tested for everything under the sun tomorrow.

Oh, I didn't even remember that I am hitting buffet tomorrow with my wife in this list. Well its there, but only cos its with my wife, and I get to play hooky from work for 4-5 hrs.

Cool.

Srinath. 

1 minute ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Mark's back!  Speaking politics in disguise.  

I don't know who Mark is - but I mis spoke. Its Johnson and Johnson vs Coke. What can I say, big pharma vs big coke.

I think stevia may be natural, and may work for some people, but it causes an insulin reaction in me I think, maybe worth testing it too in a bit. Aspartame too but a smaller one.

Cool.

Srinath.

58 minutes ago, Srinath said:

TBH with you guys, chasing the last 10 lbs is no where near as easy as the first 90 was. There are days where my body is in shutdown mode all day.

Sounds really great for your health.  Keep it up.

Seriously, be careful about body image issues and anorexia.  I mean, seriously... facing shut down because you're fasting for days at a time to burn down from 150 to 140 pounds.  Too much.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Sounds really great for your health.  Keep it up.

Seriously, be careful about body image issues and anorexia.  I mean, seriously... facing shut down because you're fasting for days at a time to burn down from 150 to 140 pounds.  Too much.

I don't care about 140 or 150 or whatever the scale says. I am after 10-20 grams of visceral fat. And no, its not that kind of "shutdown". I'm lighter today than on Dec 10, way lighter, nearly 10lbs lighter, but no sign of shutdown today and no eating fat even. When you're not doing anything, your body wont be burning anything especially when you have not provided it the nitrous as carbs. When burning fat, you are in for a slow and constant burn. Mild activity is needed to keep it tapped. We can argue about it all night my friend, I have the science behind this correct, ever though it flies in the face of everything coke and pepsi have based their quadrillion $$$ empire on.

No anorexia, no obsession with weight, or size or body image. Care nothing about those. I'll be happy @ 300 lbs, if the20 gm of visceral fat were to be removed and would stay away. I'd hit the buffet every day 2 X on sunday if I know it wasn't coming back cos I got some type of immunity.

Your science is popular, and backed by billions of sponsored results aimed to sell junk to people along with the related diseases, and the medication.

My Sucralose use is a temporary crutch, and we also lived for 50,000 years eating sweeteners in things which sadly have been evolved out of the earth. BTW, I'm dropping sucralose End of this month. 6 weeks on it to get the visceral fat cos otherwise there is no way to get enough fat in me.

I listen to this crap every day from my co workers and even my boss - who coolly says "you don't eat lunch, so why don't you cover this when we're all going to lunch". I said, that's when I am planning to walk outside with these dumbells. He then gave me a different time.

Cool.

Srinath.