Artificial sweeteners

Srinath

1 hour ago, JJkizak said:

I forgot to add a point to my earlier diatrabe---once you start the diet/regimen you cannot ever stop, it is permanent.

JJK

That's because your new way of eating has not addressed your core issue. Insulin sensitivity.

Here is a bit of good news. Alcohol increases insulin sensitivity. But I'm afraid, all the rest of your new diet is worse. Some of it far worse. I better start a new topic this thread is getting haphazard.

I have since discovered, I can go back to my old Way of eating and probably get to that bad state in ~20 more yrs. Then repeat this.

Cool.

Srinath.

8 hours ago, Mallette said:

Not that curious.  However, I also don't get what you mean by "insulined up."  Curious to me...that is what I'd like to be.  Easy fix with a bucket of BlueBell. 

Dave

You're confusing cause with cure there.

Ice cream when low insulin will spike insulin like a MOFO (sugar and dairy protein both are very insulinogenic)

Ice cream when high insulin will spike insulin worse.

In some ways straight up sugar - the worst most vilified version - glucose - will cause a sharp spike which fades out very very fast.

The "better food" no fat whey protein found in everything - especially all the weight loss products will cause a jump in insulin which fades very very slowly.

With all insulin calculations what matters is "area under the curve" AUC and that could be higher for whey than glucose.

When insulined up if you're calorie deficient, you'd burn muscle or other vital body parts. To stop that, you need to get calories without insulin. If you crave sweet - try Heavy whipping cream (that is all fat) in black coffee or coffee sweetened with the above mentioned Artificial sweetener. If you crave spice try Mayo, horseradish and texas pete. Or pepperoncini and habanero. Garlic, chia seeds can be added but they have some carbs - just don't go 90% - a little bit is OK.

If you're insulined up and calorie surplus, you're going to nicely pad various parts of your body. No worries, a 3-4 hour run should just about work much of that bucket off.

I'll start a new topic guys. This is gone way over my head.

A DSM-BIA is a very accurate scale with a handlebar and a dash board. It measured impedance between 8 points in your body (hey you could rig it to do the same for speakers and amps LOL) and produces numbers for visceral fat among other things.

Cool.

Srinath.

20 minutes ago, Srinath said:

Ice cream when low insulin will spike insulin like a MOFO (sugar and dairy protein both are very insulinogenic)

Ice cream when high insulin will spike insulin worse.

Believe me, well aware of both.  That's why I always keep BlueBell in the freezer.  VERY easy to control glucose from it to take care of low blue sugar from insulin overdose with it.  Pure ice cream, made with real cream, is best for these.  I have found beer to be an excellent and slow source of carbs.  About 17 per can, these metabolize much slower than juice or such, so when there appears to be perhaps 5 or 6 units too much insulin on board sipping a couple of beers smoothes it out nicely without a spike.  Dread disease, but the treatment is tolerable for some of it!

Dave

Wow, this has been a very interesting read, I did skim through some of it. Srinath, congrats on the weight loss, what you're doing takes a tremendous amount of effort and self control, I just hope you're staying in steady contact with your doctor to ensure everything is going ok. Also, do you have a diet plan for when you reach your optimal weight? Are you now "fasting" in cycles forever or is there a point where you'll eat every day again?

The sad thing is - I have a second cousin who I love like a sister cos she grew up much much closer to my house in India than my first cousin. So I ended up seeing her a lot more, right when she was a baby on ward. She's now in the US and has had a bit of a tough life personally (and we injuns like to complain about divorces and what not a lot) and she is a nutrition professor. I listen to her, put away that information for my maintain phase, and do the exact opposite.

I have been called the worst things by my own family. 2 quick examples.

You look like a skeleton in a trash bag - My wife.

You fast like Gandhi, you're ending up looking like Gandhi - My brother - though its retaliation for telling his wife and kids that he looks like Gandhi (face) not body. He's 145 or so lbs, 5' 9" but has never been over 175 or had any health issues. Was not blessed with a sweet tooth like me or my mom.

This is the first time I've seen someone with a triple sideways chin. Unknown gas station girl when I told her I lost 80 lbs.

I've heard it all. In fact I'll be happy to surgically and correctly inject 30-40 lb of the fat back into the correct location. Cos I cant be buying any more pants, and I have a ton of awesome 36 and 38's I bought in the 90's I'd like to wear. Not the 32 and under I have to wear now.

Cool.

Srinath.

2 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Wow, this has been a very interesting read, I did skim through some of it. Srinath, congrats on the weight loss, what you're doing takes a tremendous amount of effort and self control, I just hope you're staying in steady contact with your doctor to ensure everything is going ok. Also, do you have a diet plan for when you reach your optimal weight? Are you now "fasting" in cycles forever or is there a point where you'll eat every day again?

Self control - a lot less than you'd think. 24 hours after eating are the worst, especially if you've eaten yourself out of ketosis - which in my case means 4 cokes back to back, maybe even more if I have eaten a lot of fat and fiber ahead of it. Past that 7-8 days are smooth sailing. I have random days of shutdown mode. Like for example, I have a 6 mile drive to work, and a mega sized pick up truck that never even warms up for 25 miles. My office is under 70 and the building guys wont increase it, its old and drafty as hell, and there are spots in the 50's I'm sure. My wife wont have the house at higher than 72, and the thermostat is in the middle of the house and lets be honest - its a glorified trailer. Its new, but its a trailer with a few dozen extra 2X4's. That is what makes it hard. Oh yea, till Christmas week, my truck had no heat and Thanksgiving through Dec 15 was my most hectic period in recent years.

Anyway, I am going to knock the visceral fat out, and return to a eating plan that lets me keep my weight and that fat out. I'm thinking I'll calorie count and watch how that goes. I like sweetened tea as well as rich white chocolate laden espressos and Indian desserts, and heck, I'll be scarfing down a whole cheese cake and a whole pecan pie later this afternoon. I'll calorie count, but I'll still be counting some huge numbers. BTW I hope this DSM-BIA is correct, cos it has a BMR calculator. I'll try to go by that. If it fails, that POS will get sent back and a better one will be bought. @ $75 the stupid thing better do what it says and do it well.

If it fails I'll have to revert to fasting. I like the idea of hitting the buffet, so I cant see myself not doing that. So I guess I'll binge and fast atleast for fun atleast a few times a year.

Cool.

Srinath.

It sounds like your life is absolute hell.  I can't believe you get any enjoyment out of life or food.  To me food is one of life's simple pleasures.  Eat in moderation and don't obsess over yourself, we're all going to die anyways.  Why torture yourself along the way, life is hard enough as it is.  To me it sounds like you have an obsessive compulsive eating disorder but I'm no MD.

The function of insulin is to allow the muscle cells and other organ tissue in your body to remove sugar from your blood and store it as glycogen. All I was trying to say is eating only once a day is a shock to your body  and your body reacts by storing energy as fat because "hey who knows when we're going to get any more food".

3 hours ago, babadono said:

The function of insulin is to allow the muscle cells and other organ tissue in your body to remove sugar from your blood and store it as glycogen. All I was trying to say is eating only once a day is a shock to your body  and your body reacts by storing energy as fat because "hey who knows when we're going to get any more food".

Nope. Its more like the cells are where is insulin, where is insulin, lets us use the receptors to look for it. AKA, insulin sensitivity.

And "who knows when we're going to get more food" = "lets hunt and find an animal to kill" for 4 days. Then its a return to normal for 9 more where your body says lets see what we can grow or something.

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

It sounds like your life is absolute hell.  I can't believe you get any enjoyment out of life or food.  To me food is one of life's simple pleasures.  Eat in moderation and don't obsess over yourself, we're all going to die anyways.  Why torture yourself along the way, life is hard enough as it is.  To me it sounds like you have an obsessive compulsive eating disorder but I'm no MD.

Its more like, life is hard, lets skip all the useless meals. Better yet, dont even bother with the whole buying of rice and storing it and cleaning it and cooking it and eating it and cleaning up after. Seriously, we have like freakng 12 kinds of rice in my house. Dude I am a meat eater stuck in a Vegetarian south Indian house. And no I aint leaving her. I was raised in a vegetarian house, so this is familiar to me. 20 kinds, well, were are the rest is what I'd ask. OK, yea food is fun, but its also mundane and time consuming and routine and labor intensive and effectively this process eliminated all of that, just kept the fun. I made a mega monster thanksgiving meal for me and my son. And skipped the 30 days of left overs by fasting for 20, eating out for 4 out of the next 6 meals and well, now I have the left overs, and will deal with it when I start eating again.

Also the timing was phenomenal in my life. I am moving a house with a billion things 100 miles to a house that is on some bit of acreage but needs a big addition built on. Food now just gets in the way and worse yet, since thanksgiving, I have gathered up a lot of stuff from various places. again a 1/2 hr-1 hr for food, more if it has to be balanced and better quality every 3-4 hrs = huge drag on my time and $$$.

No, sometime soon I'll be transitioning out of this and eating more often. Balanced meals dont work to lose weight, eating often doesn't help even if it is calorie deficient. If you must eat a balanced meal and I do, and be calorie deficient and lose weight, it has to be done in 1 meal a day, not in 3 or more.

This to me is like explaining to someone walking around with a pair of plastic earbuds that say "Klipsch" made in china, that since 1949 Klipsch has been making speakers, some of which are made of real wood and the size of the average refrigerator. And he goes, naaa they make these new plastcky crap in china man new, its the best.

Anyway my doctor discussed my labs from Oct. All of it excellent. Cholesterol used to always read high, but they say you got more good, but still its a caution. Not this time. Only item that was a shade high was Uric acid. And that day I was 40lbs heavier. High BP has followed me since my teens, and/or high pulse. If close to 120/80 I'd get pule over 90. If I got 140/90 I'd get a pulse in the 60's. Today for the first time since my measured history 100/70 and 53. He said Low, but that's good for you new body size.

I also spoke about it more to my phlebotomist (who I knew was doing IF but at a lower intensity) He said he's still losing wt @ 148 eating in a 6 hr window. He's smaller than me, and shorter. He's been doing it 2+ yrs he said and has now lost nearly 50 lbs. This is the cleanest, safest and IMHO evolutionary correct way to lose weight. If you ask me, for any one who ancestrally spent more time in Europe is conditioned through millennia of fasting. My ancestors are from Africa > Mesopotamia > Indus > Northern India > South India. Essentially I evolved out of fasting and started to evolve into "detecting rotten food" around the time that Northern India > Southern India happened. So I have a few more bitter receptors in my tounge. So I can genetically take a bit less fasting, but detect rotten food a wee bit better than a Caucasian. Now if you were pure African ancestry, I can see how you are capable of detecting rotten food like nobody's business but cant fast ... but wait. No, Africa has drought too historically. Likely your ability to fast is less than mine, which is less than the corresponding European. Sorry man, the proof is in the pudding. Insulin controls it, get that low, and out comes fat. Nothing more to it.

Cool.

Srinath.

56 minutes ago, Srinath said:
5 hours ago, babadono said:

Nope.

I'm not going to argue with you. I KNOW what insulin is and does.

I'm done, bye

38 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

if you could detect rotten food so well you wouldn't eat Indian food at all.  Just my attempt at levity. 

LOL, I concur.

Check this brilliant piece of logic. My in-laws being diabetic, 15 yrs ago switched their sugar in coffee for Splenda. Awesome, 5 gm sugar X 2 per day eliminated. Then they eat 3 courses of white rice for lunch and dinner 7X a week, a grand total of ~30 lb uncooked a month for 2.

So basically they eat 27 lb of sugar as rice, and have "eliminated" 300 gm about 3/4 lb of sugar a month. Awesome.

Naa South Indian diet is horrendous, combine it with the North American lifestyle and you're pretty much a walking disease. BTW, so is the Mexican diet. You can live on these diets only if you have the hard scrabble life that used to exist in those places 50-100 yrs ago, but then again life expectancy there 100 yrs ago was in the 30's. So if you're gonna live a hard life and die by 30 doesn't matter what you eat as long as you dont die in the next hour does it.

Cool.

Srinath.

7 minutes ago, babadono said:

I'm not going to argue with you. I KNOW what insulin is and does.

I'm done, bye

That's fine, but you were talking about 1 side of the function of insulin, I was talking about the other side. You have underlying assumptions like the muscle cells and other body are able to take up glucose, I have the opposite condition. In a normal person with high insulin sensitivity you are correct. T2 Diabetic, your idea will crash and burn, and it has in 95% of people who try it and succeed.

Cool.

Srinath.

2 hours ago, Srinath said:

Naa South Indian diet is horrendous, combine it with the North American lifestyle and you're pretty much a walking disease.

Best general diet I've ever enjoyed was that of northern Thailand.  No obesity there...they are fascinated with fat people and equate them to the happy Buddha.  Also no hunger.  Just a solid, well balanced carb/vege/meat diet. 

Dave