Zone 2 Frustration

Youthman

• Moderators

Today I received a pair of Klipsch CA-800T Outdoor Speakers.  I will be mounting them in our Outdoor Living Area under the covered area.

Backyard-Living-Area-8.jpg

The plan was to connect them to my Zone2 on my Onkyo TX-NR5008 receiver in the theater room (HT is directly behind the grill on the right) and stream music through the AppleTV from my phone while we are outside.

After connecting them in the theater room and getting no sound....I did a quick search and it appears you can only use an Analog Source with Zone2?  That's crap!  LOL 

What are my options?  The AppleTV only has HDMI and Toslink Out so from what I can see, this isn't possible.

In the living room, I have a Harman Kardon HK3490 receiver using it only as a pre-amp, going to an Acurus A200 (200 x 2) amp.  I was thinking maybe I can use the amp in the HK but I don't think that will work either because in order to use a powered amp, I had to remove the Pre-Out/Main-In Jumpers so am I correct in thinking there will be no sound if I connect speakers to the Speaker Outs if the jumpers are not in place?

B00198F89A.backLG.jpg

Have you tried searching about some speaker switches? You always have the option to run the output on your receiver in your theater room to that switch, and if you want to play music outside, just turn off the theater speakers and switch to outdoor speakers. I'm guessing there are some speaker switches with multiple speaker inputs instead of just one, but this seems like a simple fix to me. If you don't want to use speaker switches, I would just get another receiver if I were you. If I were you, I probably wouldn't wanna go all the way upstairs (assuming your home theater is upstairs (if you even have one) ) and have to switch inputs if I just quickly wanted to switch between my phone and/or FM.

EDIT: By speaker switches, I meant a switch that will choose between the first or second output.

Edited by JacobGunther12

I just went thru this scenario as well with my Onkyo. Never knew it was analog only to set up the zone outs. I found an Adcom speaker selector for dirt cheap at a local pawn shop. Works great switching between the Belle's and the 7II's There is a 3 , 4, and 6 speaker version.

There are quite a few

here

and here

wL3zJqA.png

4 hours ago, Youthman said:

After connecting them in the theater room and getting no sound....I did a quick search and it appears you can only use an Analog Source with Zone2?  That's crap!  LOL 

I could have told you that.:o:P  Even flagsip AVRs only a few years ago did not have Zone 2 digital.  Now even some upper midlevel AVRs do.

Get an outboard DAC place between Apple TV and AVR.

Bill

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, zobsky said:

Maybe use a cheap DAC to convert the toslink to analog and then pipe that to your zone 2 input.

Something like this : https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=6884&gclid=CjwKEAiA79zDBRCgyf2FgeiY-CESJABzr0BM0_AUQi6WJVJfr2xQQ50zXYyJIpXFetTM6gxQVFsw2RoCPx_w_wcB

That looks like that might be a simple solution.  But if I have HDMI Out on the AppleTV going into my receiver and then Toslink on the AppleTV going into the DAC, then from the DAC to an input on the receiver, can the AppleTV send both HDMI and Toslink outputs?