Puff The Magic Dragon- Audio Nirvana

derrickdj1

Six years have passed since I first joined this forum: boy, how time flies.  I started out just wanting to get an ideal of how to setup up my Best Buy speakers which were very expensive and high end to me at the time.  Then I was open to a whole new world that was worse than a dog chasing it's tail.  Then I started reading about different gear, seen pic's of different system and heard all these descriptive terms describing audio nirvana.

Next, in the search for audio perfection, you folks chimed in with a vast knowledge, various opinions and personal likes.  This only lead to more confusion.  I changed my search to what others claimed was audio nirvana and at considerable cost.  Changing gear was just the start, then the room and putting stuff on walls, floors and even considering what the wall were made of.  Wait, this is now developing into a phobia, my God, am I loosing my mind.:blink:

Finally, I reached the conclusion that audio nirvana had it's own definition that only resided within me.  Expensive gear, top of the line gear, and other things could not guarantee me audio nirvana.  I wasn't even sure at this point if I even knew what exactly I was looking for.  I just knew it has to sound good.  After conceding that I can't be an audiophile because, I did not care if I could hear the singers lick their lips, take a scratch or the distinct pluck of   an E note on a guitar, how will I ever reach this Shangri-La, describe by James Hilton.  This mystical, harmonious world of audio nirvana.

Next came tweaking.  Modding speakers, amps, wires,DIY projects, inter-connect, etc.  This was time consuming and also an endless journey.  Somewhere along the journey, I came to the conclusion that I would not get it right on the first attempt.  Mainly because I was not sure what exactly I was looking for.  So many thing in audio are described with such magical qualities in this fairy tale land.  Then came loud.  If it gets loud it has to be good, wrong.  Next was detail.  Wanting to hear minute detail at low to moderate volume.  Well, none of this can be completely correct and   achieved  so, what is the right mix.

Only thru trial and error, trying different things and playing with what is at hand, did the journey develop some clarity. Oh, I forgot the shelling out of plenty of cash since many things can't be determined in a store and need to be in my own room, with my other gear and taste in music.  I finally realized, I did not need the biggest speakers, the most expensive amp, etc.  In the end it wasn't Heritage speakers vs Reference, tube amps over solid state, and particular cost barrier on the gear but, learning what I liked in music, listen levels, aesthetic and yes, what compromises I was willing to accept.  Yes, it is possible to spend a fortune on the gear and the room and still there will be compromises.

I knew if I shoot for the stars that I would end up in the poor house so, I still pulled the trigger and released a shot.  I did not even come close to the stars and ended up on a moon with a bit more than a modest system that made me happy.  Is this the end of the journey, the road appears clear for now but, fog is looming  down the road so, all I can say is that I am content now, this feels like Shangri-La or nirvana but, since it is not on the map, I will just go with my best guess.

• Like 12

31 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Only thru trial and error

That's it in a nutshell Derrick.  I've made so many changes over the years to all my systems that there's no way I'd remember them all.  It basically comes down to whether or not I liked the change that I did.  If I did, I'd leave it, if not I'd try something else.  You can read all the reviews and opinions in the world but if you change something and don't like it, you keep going.  This is a journey type hobby, not destination.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Six years have passed since I first joined this forum: boy, how time flies.  I started out just wanting to get an ideal of how to setup up my Best Buy speakers which were very expensive and high end to me at the time.  Then I was open to a whole new world that was worse than a dog chasing it's tail.  Then I started reading about different gear, seen pic's of different system and heard all these descriptive terms describing audio nirvana.

Next, in the search for audio perfection, you folks chimed in with a vast knowledge, various opinions and personal likes.  This only lead to more confusion.  I changed my search to what others claimed was audio nirvana and at considerable cost.  Changing gear was just the start, then the room and putting stuff on walls, floors and even considering what the wall were made of.  Wait, this is now developing into a phobia, my God, am I loosing my mind.:blink:

Finally, I reached the conclusion that audio nirvana had it's own definition that only resided within me.  Expensive gear, top of the line gear, and other things could not guarantee me audio nirvana.  I wasn't even sure at this point if I even knew what exactly I was looking.  I just knew it has to sound good.  After conceding that I can't be an audiophile because, I did not care if I could hear the singers lick their lips, take a scratch or the distinct pluck of   an E note on a guitar, how will I ever reach this Shangri-La, describe by James Hilton.  This mystical, harmonious world of audio nirvana.

Next came tweaking.  Modding speakers, amps, wires,DIY projects, inter-connect, etc.  This was time consuming and also an endless journey.  Somewhere along the journey, I came to the conclusion that I would not get it right on the first attempt.  Mainly because I was not sure what exactly I was looking for.  So many thing in audio are described with such magical qualities in this fairy tale land.  Then came loud.  If it gets loud it has to be good, wrong.  Next was detail.  Wanting to hear minute detail at low to moderate volume.  Well, none of this can be completely correct and   achieved  so, what is the right mix.

Only thru trial and error, trying different things and playing with what is at hand, did the journey develop some clarity. Oh, I forgot the shelling out of plenty of cash since many things can't be determined in a store and need to be in my own room, with my other gear and taste in music.  I finally realized, I did not need the biggest speakers, the most expensive amp, etc.  In the end it wasn't Heritage speakers vs Reference, tube amps over solid state, and particular cost barrier on the gear but, learning what I liked in music, listen levels, aesthetic and yes, what compromises I was willing to accept.  Yes, it is possible to spend a fortune on the gear and the room and still there will be compromises.

I knew if I shoot for the stars that I would end up in the poor house so, I still pulled the trigger and released a shot.  I did not even come close to the stars and ended up on a moon with a bit more than a modest system that made me happy.  Is this the end of the journey, the road appears clear for now but, fog is looming  down the road so, all I can say is that I am content now, this feels like Shangri-La or nirvana but, since it is not on the map, I will just go with my best guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

..... learning what I liked in music, listen levels, aesthetic and yes, what compromises I was willing to accept.  Yes, it is possible to spend a fortune on the gear and the room and still there will be compromises.

Nice post, you seem very self-aware. B) Interesting though, in that buying audio gear just might be somewhat similar to navigating a long-term relationship as this is very similar to what I talk with the kids about regarding long-term relationships and marriage.  To learn a lot about themselves including what they like, and to think hard about the compromises that they are willing to make and accept.  Understand the life issues they are willing to negotiate and those that are non-negotiable because there will be compromises and the "cost" can be high.  Today he may think that "she knows me so well that she can finish my sentences," while tomorrow it can easily become, " ***** quit interrupting while I'm talking."  :o

• Like 2

True - I think we have all been there in some way, shape or form. Even now when I think my rig sounds as good as ever I stil scour the audio sites several times a day, out of habit? or still looking at the next level ^ . I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger on a SS monoblocks that I do not need but think I need a SS option at hand. Yeah, I know - back away from the keyboard, loose my PPal password, easier said than done. Through all this, it's still fun and that's what really matters, and its legal and harmless.

Got to run - I've got monoblocks to buy !!!

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder if i should even get any new gear -- i'm very most likely going to end up deaf (seriously, my hearing is 85% gone already) so I could easily end up with a lot of stuff that i can't even listen to.  That sure will be a tough day...that's the day when memories will be bittersweet.  I'll look at a guitar and know what it sounds like; but, won't be able to hear it anymore.  

But, i'll still buy still stuff until that day comes...because i'm financially irresponsible.

You'll know when you're done @derrickdj1 

• Like 1

Hearing the system or whatever the latest acquisition is will put a smile on my face so I can't go by that.  It is more subtle for me, I stop looking for things to change, mod, or tweak.  This even goes for playing with the trims levels on the speakers in the avr, lol.  I can pretty much enjoy any genre of music and sources.

Oh, this does not mean I don't get a kick out of hearing other systems.  I love the Heritage sound, Mc gear and some vintage gear will also put a smile on my face.  I like audio and may not be as fussy over certain speakers, amp, etc.  It makes life easier and more fun this way, lol.

I'm not raving about any particular thing or brand because it would be heavily biased.  This was more about the process of getting to nirvana and not about any specific piece of equipment since they all have to work together in synergy to reach that - it sounds good place.

• Like 2

The Holy Gail of audio is a Myth which Audiofools buy into.

No need to spend a lot of money, you have to spend a fair sum to get something that sounds musical and decent. Not 100's of thousands, no where near that.

Decide what you are looking for and listen to the music not the system, a trap most fall into.

It is all about the emotional connection with the music not some intellectual exercise or ego trip.

If it costs more it must be better - not true.

A half decent system chosen on ; your own opinions, musical tastes, and using your own ears as the final judge and not those stuck on the side of some other Dudes head.  Will take you into hours of musical enjoyment.

I am fortunate I know exactly what I like, can make my own decisions and have been lucky enough to choose equipment that satisfies my needs without spending a silly amount of money.

I buy carefully second hand, we have a small tight audio community in my country second hand prices are low here. I buy on reputation, carefully researched and on the opinions of people who think about audio like I do.

The point of diminishing returns sets in always, any improvements are minuscule going up the ladder.

Sure there are some high end systems that must sound phenomenal, but honestly I have heard a lot of high end kit that has me just walking away saying nah this is ridiculous, no where near the sound expected for the silly asking money.  

Well chosen and designed sensitive DIY speakers with good drivers will outperform commercial speakers costing a lot more. The speakers are IMO the most important thing in the audio chain, good sensitive speakers are not amp or source fussy get speakers you like the sound of first, the rest is easy.

You are paying for the finish on expensive commercial speakers you will be surprised how many speaker manufactures skimp on the drivers. So if you are more interested in music than looks and brand snobbery, there is affordable musical heaven out there, if you use your own ears and musical tastes as the final judge.

• Like 2

Well said. Loved reading about your journey. Thanks. 

Prior to starting this journey with the blessing of my wife I looked over the entire audio landscape sparkling like jewels with all it's temptations. It can break you quickly if you let it.

I decided right quick learning from all of you there isn't a perfect system and many come to the same conclusion. I don't need to hear every detail or get the most expensive equipment to enjoy music. 

As I write my wife and daughter are in the living room with me enjoying Sunday morning music with coffee and that in the end is the greatest reward. That tells me have the right equipment. 

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:34 AM, Opus said:

I don't have the best, or most, high end gear. But, what I have makes me smile when I listen to it. That's what matters to me.  :D

This. Right. Here.

The search for audio nirvana is nothing more or less than our search to understand ourselves and to understand what constitutes true personal happiness and contentment. All we need do then is accept the results unconditionally.

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, hsosdrummer said:

This. Right. Here.

The search for audio nirvana is nothing more or less than our search to understand ourselves and to understand what constitutes true personal happiness and contentment. All we need do then is accept the results unconditionally.

I really couldn't agree more...audio nirvana is all about what you like.

And Derrick....thanks for sharing...not just your thoughts but your system.... and your hospitality. I can honestly say... seeing and enjoying your system was probably one of the best thing last year. I really enjoyed myself.

Thanks again,

George

• Like 1

11 hours ago, oldred said:

I really couldn't agree more...audio nirvana is all about what you like.

And Derrick....thanks for sharing...not just your thoughts but your system.... and your hospitality. I can honestly say... seeing and enjoying your system was probably one of the best thing last year. I really enjoyed myself.

Thanks again,

George

Thanks for the kind words George.  It was a special day because of all you were there.

Garyrc, you could not be more right.  The confusion arises when you are new in this hobby.  You have on goal, a good sound system.  The problem is when you enter this hobby, you have no ideal of what exactly you're searching for.  This may be different for those that have been involved with music, music production, etc.  It is nice that our personal nirvana is only subject to the toughest critic,

ourselves.

• Like 1