Chorus II in Milwaukee - Seriously?

tlarwa

2 hours ago, Opus said:

I often see Heresys in the local area Craigslist for $700-$1000. I have no idea if they are getting that much, but it sounds high to me. There is a pair listed for $1050 right now.  :o

Heresy goes for $400 all day long.  H2 is closer to $600.  The H3 is in the $900 range for sure.

Chicago is a bit of a different animal due to a larger supply of used Klipsch, and Opus has a better finger on the pulse of that market.

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Heresy goes for $400 all day long.  H2 is closer to $600.  The H3 is in the $900 range for sure.

Chicago is a bit of a different animal due to a larger supply of used Klipsch, and Opus has a better finger on the pulse of that market.

I guess I didn't realize the H3's market value was that much more than H2s. The ones I mentioned for $1050 look real nice, but the ad doesn't say whether they are I, II, or III. "Local" for me is Northwest Arkansas. I have a pair of H1 that I got locally for $275 4-5 years ago.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:22 AM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

The problem I have with Ebay ( besides the ridiculous fees and then the balls to charge 3% for PP) all the shill bidders running the price up for their buddies. Then the buyer either doesn't pay or relists them. The seller pays the fee and hopes to rope someone in at a higher price. Ebay shows the most recent sales and prices, so someone thinks they might be they're getting a deal. The seller is hoping the shill drives the price higher. If the shill wins, it either goes as a non payment or Check it out, you will see it happen regularly. Scammers who have no Idea of the market

Mark

14 minutes ago, opusk2k9 said:

Down to $1200. for either the Chorus II or the KLF-30s.

I see what the seller is doing.  He started with an inflated price so when they didn't sell he would lower his price $100 a week until he got the highest price the market would bear.  Nothing wrong with trying to get top dollar for your stuff.  :)

He's come down far enough now that the asking price for the C2's are now exactly double what the fair market average is.

I wish him luck and great fortune with his sale. 

On 1/25/2017 at 0:06 AM, ZEUS121996 said:

On 1/15/2017 at 11:22 AM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

The problem I have with Ebay ( besides the ridiculous fees and then the balls to charge 3% for PP) all the shill bidders running the price up for their buddies. Then the buyer either doesn't pay or relists them. The seller pays the fee and hopes to rope someone in at a higher price. Ebay shows the most recent sales and prices, so someone thinks they might be they're getting a deal. The seller is hoping the shill drives the price higher. If the shill wins, it either goes as a non payment or Check it out, you will see it happen regularly. Scammers who have no Idea of the market

Take a look at the bidding history for that Heresy listing.  Looks pretty fishy to me.

15 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Fair market average for C2's is $600?  I doubt that.

What does your data show?  Or if you don't have data, what is your impression or opinion on an average price?

This isn't a "gotcha" question, it's just that I track prices on the Chorus II because I want to fact check my perceptions vs real numbers.  I'm interested in your opinion as well.

@wvu80  Dave, as has been stated by many, many more folks than I, the asking and selling price on ANY piece of gear, obviously including speakers, are highly dependent on the following:

1.  Rarity

2.  Cosmetic/Functional Condition, including desirable or non-desirable finishes, updated or original drivers, crossovers, etc.

3.  Item location

4.  Willingness to ship/deliver

5.  Availability of original boxes/packaging/paperwork

6.  Willingness of a seller to sell at a specific price (motivation)

7.  Willingness of a buyer to buy at a specific price (want)

And, interwoven in between all of those, is trust between seller and potential buyer.

Given the above, I don't know how anyone can state an "average" price.  Most of them are subjective.   I think it's obvious that there are many more items bought and sold here on the forum that are ever fully documented as to asking and selling price, so those are off the table, and the bay is only really a marginal guide, due to many crazy asking prices, and questionable selling prices.  And then of course you have the CL listings that are silly high or low, likely because someone doesn't really know what they have, or, they have looked at the bay "asking" prices (see above).  

Please don't think that I am disparaging your efforts, I'm not.  It's nice that you have the time to do this, and to give your time here.  But anyone making a blanket statement about the price of a piece of gear, without FULLY inspecting the item is just not right....I know we have all seen (as an example), the pair of (name the speaker), that has been advertised for $600, with 10 photos and a glorious description....only to see and hear them in person, and to see the surface that wasn't photographed with the huge, deep water stain, with the tweeters that are blown, etc, etc, etc......

Long story, even longer.....to me, it's not an exact science.  Anything in the "used" or "vintage" market never is.....

11 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

@wvu80  Dave, as has been stated by many, many more folks than I, the asking and selling price on ANY piece of gear, obviously including speakers, are highly dependent on the following:

1.  Rarity

2.  Cosmetic/Functional Condition, including desirable or non-desirable finishes, updated or original drivers, crossovers, etc.

3.  Item location

4.  Willingness to ship/deliver

5.  Availability of original boxes/packaging/paperwork

6.  Willingness of a seller to sell at a specific price (motivation)

7.  Willingness of a buyer to buy at a specific price (want)

Given the above, I don't know how anyone can state an "average" price.  

Most of them are subjective.   I think it's obvious that there are many more items bought and sold here on the forum that are ever fully documented as to asking and selling price, so those are off the table, and the bay is only really a marginal guide, due to many crazy asking prices, and questionable selling prices.  And then of course you have the CL listings that are silly high or low, likely because someone doesn't really know what they have, or, they have looked at the bay "asking" prices (see above).  

Long story, even longer.....to me, it's not an exact science.  Anything in the "used" or "vintage" market never is.....

I agree with all the above, Jim.  We both know the variables, and you stated accurately enough to be a good sticky for the FS forum so we don't have to repeat it over and over. 

Two things:

You disagreed with my stated average, but you didn't state an average of your own.  If you choose not to that's OK with me.  It doesn't hurt my feelings a bit.

+++

I started keeping numbers just for fun.  It's on a spreadsheet with Heritage models I jot down as they come across my radar.  I started doing that because I had opinions on what "average" prices were but with my failing memory I just couldn't remember all the prices.  So I started jotting it down so it WASN'T subjective.

You said nobody could come up with an average.  Well, I did based on real-world selling prices and it's based on math, not my opinion.

Anybody is welcome to disagree, jeez it doesn't bother me, it's just math.  And if someone wants more data, because I took notes I can comment on condition, mods and location.  I can tell you without emotion high, low and average price.  All someone has to do is ask.

Of course it's not perfect, but it's more objective than my memory.  The numbers are the numbers.