Horn to Driver Gasket Exposed?

SWL

When I was changing my mid drivers the other day, I was reminded how the inside diameter of the gasket is exposed in the horn throat. Wouldn't this somehow affect performane? I'm guessing not...since Bob sent replacements with the new drivers exactly the same as the originals but it's got me wondering why you would have a 'lip' in there vs. a smooth opening?

06daa28343c54b7879b6d872e69b012d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Why is there a quarter moon slice (more like a fingernail slice if you know that phrase) at the top?  It would have to create turbulence, wouldn't it? 

I would want an exact fit on the I.D. with no material overlapping.

+++

This was the same case when I raced motorcycles and rebuilt the heads on two-strokes, which was critical for smooth fuel intake.  It seems to me we had some technique for getting the gasket to line up with the surface edges before it was torqued down, but I can't remember what we did.  It was a tacky material, but not glue.

+++

After an internet search, I think we used Gasgacinch, or something like it:

41g3dB3Xc2L.jpg

Not really enough room for the gasket to move out of place.

Yeah.....I've just got too much blood rushing into my head or something from hooking up a different amp every hour since I got these new mid drivers installed.

Bob, top notch buddy. [emoji106] New mid drivers got to me two days after ordering (AK to WI) and they sound great.[emoji106] [emoji106]

1 hour ago, SWL said:

Yeah.....I've just got too much blood rushing into my head or something from hooking up a different amp every hour since I got these new mid drivers installed.

Bob, top notch buddy. emoji106.png New mid drivers got to me two days after ordering (AK to WI) and they sound great.emoji106.pngemoji106.png

By the looks of the bug screen you must have gotten the new A-55G?

3 hours ago, babadono said:

So the gasket matches the driver, but the combo doesn't match the opening in the horn? Is this OK? I know nothing.

It matches.  It was later clarified we were looking at a shadow caused by the angle of the flash, and not at the actual gasket.