PISSED OFF about "Heritage"

As long as Klipsch does not go the route Altec-Lansing did relying on computer speakers, wireless junk and now tablets. Making sub-par products sold at best buy or whatever may bring in extra money but in many ways dumping on the good Klipsch reputation, its a fine line to walk just don't slip and end up on the wrong side of things.

This hits me right in my feeling. It's terrible to see the Altec name on some crappy mini speaker while my 19s sit in the living room wondering what happened to their name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Grizzog said:

This hits me right in my feeling. It's terrible to see the Altec name on some crappy mini speaker while my 19s sit in the living room wondering what happened to their name.

The name started to be dragged through the dirt when they started making the direct radiating model loudspeakers.

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

What a speaker is called makes no difference to me whatsover.  It's not personal.

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Roger, I honestly don't care.  Klipsch can call whatever they want, whatever they want....

A first.

Are you two wearing the same color shirt too? 

6 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Anyone else here feel similarly?

I hear ya Rog....

I too feel there is the "true" heritage line of speaker.... Khorn, LaScala, Cornwall, Bell and Heresy..... and then there was the so called extended heritage line: Chorus, Forte' and Quartet.... 

I can see were the marketing of this "new' speaker is riding on the back of the heritage name..... does it piss me off??? no not really....

It's made in Hope by American workers...... and that means a lot to me.... If it was made in China and still called heritage that would be some serious sacrilege!

I really hope it's a hit on the market.... 

That's my 2 cents....

MKP :-)

• Like 3

Most of us here are Heritage lovers and owners, grew up cutting our audio teeth with the "big Five".

But corporate Klipsch using the Heritage moniker is certainly their perogitive and they can use the historical significance as they see fit and for some on the forum to get their panties in a bunch does no good. They need to capitalize on the reputation of Heritage as I am sure these new products came at great investment. OR, Klipsch parent Voxx could see no reason for future investment in hi end consumer hifi, concentrate on Best Buy mass market crap made in China and keep Mr. Bonehead busy with commercial installations only. Seems the Heritage trade off is worth the hurt feelings. 

7 hours ago, wvu80 said:

What a speaker is called makes no difference to me whatsover.  It's not personal.

That is fine, everyone is allowed to be bothered or not, which ever way they so choose, but I think you are in the minority in this group as I think a large part of us that live here absolutely care about things that absolutely pay homage to Paul and things that do not. If we loose sight of what Paul did for us then why not just rename this sight "The Audio vox Sight?"

Roger

• Like 1

7 hours ago, minermark said:

Hi Rog

I , on face value agree, however i think because "WE" have made the "Heritage" what it is today, marketing is just running with a winner.

Agree with you on this Mark, but that still does not make it an easy pill to swallow for me. On a second note, it has been WAAAY to long since I have heard from you   :)

Rog

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dtel said:

It's just a marketing thing, which is completely different form an engineering thing, and they don't always agree.

IMO

Heritage should only be what original designs that got you this far, your Heritage............. DUH...................but I'm not in marketing or even an employee so I can't say how they run anything. 

Myself....I would have said Heritage inspired style or look, at most, because that is the look they were going for, but not Heritage.

Absolutely agree 100% with you my friend!

Roger

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jwc said:

Roger. I hear ya bro.  We appreciate your respect.

But you know, PWK was a Great Audio Engineer.  He was even better a combo of a business man and a Great Audio Engineer.  There were some great audio engineers in his day...competitors and such...who could have been be on par with the "Smarts".  However, this man...this Legend....could land big speakers in your living room and generate profits.  That made him great.

Klipsch has all kinds of higher ups....business minded ... that we forum/Klipsch lovers could far from understand.  But PWK would want Klipsch to continue to "Land" those speakers in your living room.  Big or Small with names that "sell".

Technicality....I guess.  I hear your voice and you certainly have an honorary point.  But....I seem to be more excited than I have been in a long time about Klipsch.  Call Forte III what you want.....  What I call it.......... Is a new Home Audio speaker that will land in my bedroom as soon as it is available.

cheers 

jc

JC,

Long time no talk, way to long and your opinion is well taken and appreciated on this. I also like the input about whatever it takes to keep the people in Hope working. I myself find myself truly excited that they are doing the Forte' again with modern improvements and Hope that I can eventually afford a pair for my daughter to have. We will see, but it is very intriguing to me to say the least. My biggest problem, and I know I am not the only one here, is my reverence for all things Paul. I also like the looks of the new 15, and if the capabilities of the Pro version hold, it should be a damn capable speaker and should sell well and I hope Klipsch sells a million of them. I just don't want it to become a clouded issue for future enthusiasts. I try to give a small hint of who Paul was and what we do in Hope together to anyone who I am fortunate enough enough to have listen to what Paul had a hand in creating for my enjoyment. One last question if you will buddy, any chance of you making it this year to cut up with Kevin, Lisa, Elden and Christy? Would love to get together with ALL of you!

Roger

3 hours ago, richieb said:

Most of us here are Heritage lovers and owners, grew up cutting our audio teeth with the "big Five".

But corporate Klipsch using the Heritage moniker is certainly their perogitive and they can use the historical significance as they see fit and for some on the forum to get their panties in a bunch does no good. They need to capitalize on the reputation of Heritage as I am sure these new products came at great investment. OR, Klipsch parent Voxx could see no reason for future investment in hi end consumer hifi, concentrate on Best Buy mass market crap made in China and keep Mr. Bonehead busy with commercial installations only. Seems the Heritage trade off is worth the hurt feelings. 

I guess the only rebuttal to what you say by me is that 99.9% of "NEW" Klipsch buyers have absolutely no idea what a "Heritage" model Klipsch even is, they have only seen or listened to Best Buy Klipsch. Therefore, the only people that the company can capitalize on even using that name is long term fans like us. Therefore if we see a problem with it, I should think other long time Klipsch owners who have never even looked at this forum would probably feel similar if they are into their speakers enough to even know what the Heritage line is. Becides your post, I want to address others here as well, I am 100% for doing anything that helps the employees of Hope out, but if you call these speakers Heritage because they were built in Hope, then all RF-7s and RF-7IIs are automatically Heritage also! It has always been in honorance to Paul for me, and regaurdless of what Audiovox descides, I will preach the truth of PWK to ANYONE dumb enough to lend me their ear!  :)

Roger

• Like 1

Good point. There IS something in a name as that is your reputation. Question is does it live up to it?

We have to look at materials, craftsmanship, where it's made, who makes it,  is it built with passion, are they similar models and above all sound like a Klipsch. If all these things measure up then the apple doesn't fall far from the tree if you get my drift.  A son is his father if he carries his name with distinction and he lives up to his reputation. I believe all these speakers were made with all the above qualities and can carry the name. If you deviate from it one iota(for example desktop computer speakers are not Heritage) then full stop. Name it something else. Otherwise carry on.... Carefully.

1 hour ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

That is fine, everyone is allowed to be bothered or not, which ever way they so choose, but I think you are in the minority in this group

I think you are right, Roger.  I hope you know I have all respect for those who do have that passion about such things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

I guess the only rebuttal to what you say by me is that 99.9% of "NEW" Klipsch buyers have absolutely no idea what a "Heritage" model Klipsch even is, they have only seen or listened to Best Buy Klipsch. Therefore, the only people that the company can capitalize on even using that name is long term fans like us.

In my comments above, I alluded to investment in designs for the future.  Perhaps my point wasn't clear.  Klipsch has a potential real and emerging competitor in the PA marketplace (Danley) that has been extremely innovative in the basic engineering and physics of loudspeaker design.  DSL owns a couple of patents that, if turned on the high quality consumer market, would really give Klipsch a run for their reputation.  It's these type of innovations, sort of like what Bell Labs did for years, that put companies ahead in the marketplace, not branding, and marketing.  Real engineering performance.  There are other areas that we could talk about in the commercial marketplace that I believe that Klipsch should be challenging and staying with their competitors, but that would probably leave behind most of the consumer-oriented readers here. 

The bottom line is that "time waits for no one".  The engineering achievements of PWK were great and have generally sustained the company thus far...not branding.  But rather that enabler has been performance of horn-loading over direct radiating loudspeaker drivers.  But that singular advantage in engineering can only go so far--then it appears that the company is beginning to recycle its technology, again and again. 

That's what I see right now: recycled horn-loaded design coupled with  other enabling technologies (i.e., wireless, Bluetooth, etc.) that have become generally available in the OEM supplier marketplace.  These "innovations" will not sustain over the longer haul, since any competitor can also do the same using these third-party technologies that anyone can buy and integrate into their products (and they are...).  The company is not competing with a technology-ownership edge using these approaches.

However, the innovations that have appeared on the PA marketplace, to me, signal a danger that should be met with continued R&D into deeper technology ownership.  That's what I was alluding to, above.

Just talk to anyone that's heard one of these competitor's products in a living room environment: I think that should get the attention of Klipsch management and investors.

Chris

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Chris A said:

In my comments above, I alluded to investment in designs for the future.  Perhaps my point wasn't clear.  Klipsch has a potential real and emerging competitor in the PA marketplace (Danley) that has been extremely innovative in the basic engineering and physics of loudspeaker design.  DSL owns a couple of patents that, if turned on the high quality consumer market, would really give Klipsch a run for their reputation.  It's these type of innovations, sort of like what Bell Labs did for years, that put companies ahead in the marketplace, not branding, and marketing.  Real engineering performance.  There are other areas that we could talk about in the commercial marketplace that I believe that Klipsch should be challenging and staying with their competitors, but that would probably leave behind most of the consumer-oriented readers here. 

The bottom line is that "time waits for no one".  The engineering achievements of PWK were great and have generally sustained the company thus far...not branding.  But rather that enabler has been performance of horn-loading over direct radiating loudspeaker drivers.  But that singular advantage in engineering can only go so far--then it appears that the company is beginning to recycle its technology, again and again. 

That's what I see right now: recycled horn-loaded design coupled with  other enabling technologies (i.e., wireless, Bluetooth, etc.) that have become generally available in the OEM supplier marketplace.  These "innovations" will not sustain over the longer haul, since any competitor can also do the same using these third-party technologies that anyone can buy and integrate into their products (and they are...).  The company is not competing with a technology-ownership edge using these approaches.

However, the innovations that have appeared on the PA marketplace, to me, signal a danger that should be met with continued R&D into deeper technology ownership.  That's what I was alluding to, above.

Just talk to anyone that's heard one of these competitor's products in a living room environment: I think that should get the attention of Klipsch management and investors.

Chris

Thanks for your insight Chris!

Rog

Some interesting points, Chris!

To offer a different view, have you seen the trend in high-end audio shows? Horns, and not new designs, are making a come back.

There is essentially a 'luxury' reboot of the Altec A7 for $250k. I can't even count how many speakers I've seen that are basically a cornscala with different veneers at $60k+.

While some brand new tech can help sustain in the long term, it is interesting to see that what Klipsch is reviving is the direction of high end. Sure, this can change, but right now I think Klipsch is in an incredible position with their offerings and price points.

Just now, Grizzog said:

Sure, this can change, but right now I think Klipsch is in an incredible position with their offerings and price points.

That's interesting...I see just the opposite...

Chris