PISSED OFF about "Heritage"

On 2/20/2017 at 5:46 AM, mark1101 said:

If Klipsch REALLY wanted to do something with the Heritage they would get rid of those crappy exponential mid horns and install something decent like the modified tractrix they design and bring those speakers into the 21st century.............along with PWKs Heritage bass bins.  Then you would have something that really sounded nice.

you could

but that would be like putting a modern LSx engine in a 69 camaro. it's better from a mechanical perspective but it isn't what the car was designed to be

the heritage speakers to me represent time, i have a pair of factory correct heresy ii's in my back room with nothing updated besides the caps. they aren't the best sounding speakers i own but they remind me of when i was a late child to early teen and one of my friends had a pair that we use to crank on

5 minutes ago, racebum said:

you could

but that would be like putting a modern LSx engine in a 69 camaro. it's better from a mechanical perspective but it isn't what the car was designed to be

the heritage speakers to me represent time, i have a pair of factory correct heresy ii's in my back room with nothing updated besides the caps. they aren't the best sounding speakers i own but they remind me of when i was a late child to early teen and one of my friends had a pair that we use to crank on

Yea, but I follow what Mark1101 is saying.  The thing is, if you listen to some of Roy's modern day horn inventions/creations....... You are screwed .......trying to find the love in the "home speakers".

I've heard all the Heritage stuff .......like everyone else here..... and heard most of the pro stuff.......a lot.   It is time the pro stuff bleeds into the home stuff IMO but I won't lose sleep over it otherwise.  It isn't a complaint....just a longtime wish.

Klipsch business model is way over our heads and then there is the respect of PWK.  I won't make bones with Klipsch on what they call stuff.....just offer me some home stuff that I will be willing to buy new.  I don't have any urge left to buy new a LSII, Klipschorn, Heresy, Cornwall at the current design.  It just isn't for me.

Forte with a new designed midhorn.........call it my wallet biopsy :) 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, jwc said:

Yea, but I follow what Mark1101 is saying.  The thing is, if you listen to some of Roy's modern day horn inventions/creations....... You are screwed .......trying to find the love in the "home speakers".

I've heard all the Heritage stuff .......like everyone else here..... and heard most of the pro stuff.......a lot.   It is time the pro stuff bleeds into the home stuff IMO but I won't lose sleep over it otherwise.  It isn't a complaint....just a longtime wish.

Klipsch business model is way over our heads and then there is the respect of PWK.  I won't make bones with Klipsch on what they call stuff.....just offer me some home stuff that I will be willing to buy new.  I don't have any urge left to buy new a LSII, Klipschorn, Heresy, Cornwall at the current design.  It just isn't for me.

You know we ain't normal. We are in a niche of a niche of a niche product wise. Once you hear a Klipsch pro cinema that taste/sounds like the best hi-fi you've ever heard it is hard to go back. We aren't the target of any marketing department LOL.... That being said I like watching what is happening and the Forte III is cool. That mid horn is really cool.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, jwc said:

The thing is, if you listen to some of Roy's modern day horn inventions/creations....... You are screwed .......trying to find the love in the "home speakers".

I'm trying to do something about that right now, been talking to them about some custom KI-396's with the Forte III matte black finish to park out in the open in my house.  :ph34r:  No reason other than minor aesthetics that the 396 couldn't be used in a house, they sound insanely good, and just aren't very big.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I'm trying to do something about that right now, been talking to them

Folks, we are in the presence of a big Dawg!

You are correct.......you are asking for......along the lines of .......what we are thinking too.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jwc said:

I haven't given this much thought for a long time.  But years ago it was my belief that the Heritage Sound was defined by PWK's bass bins, not the K400.  To some degree some of  his mid horns were designed to "fit the box". (K600-K700)  Never thought that those horns would be replaced. Respect for PWK.

Any takers?  

• Like 1

This thread reminds me of the "old" Forum. Most of us could get a rise at least every few days about a post. Lively and impassioned discourse is a symptom of health here, in my opinion. It's the sort of passion that draws us to Hope. I hope to see you all there this year. It's our heritage.

SSH

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, IB Slammin said:

I haven't given this much thought for a long time

Oh now....it would be fresh on your mind if you drug out your Cornwalls with the 1st order networks and no bandpass....and play at your kinda SPLs.   Screeching Owls would move in..... 

I had to do it man.  I'm over here now laughin' at my own sarcasm s*** .  I must be bored.

1 hour ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I'm trying to do something about that right now, been talking to them about some custom KI-396's with the Forte III matte black finish to park out in the open in my house.  :ph34r:  No reason other than minor aesthetics that the 396 couldn't be used in a house, they sound insanely good, and just aren't very big.  

Looking at mine, they wouldn't be hard to sand and veneer.  The rounded corners night have to be built up though.  Heck, you could order raw birch and stain them yourself.  My living room has 7 black speakers in it now, they'd fit right in as is.

38 minutes ago, jwc said:

Oh now....it would be fresh on your mind if you drug out your Cornwalls with the 1st order networks and no bandpass....and play at your kinda SPLs.   Screeching Owls would move in..... 

I had to do it man.  I'm over here now laughin' at my own sarcasm s*** .  I must be bored.

You should be ashamed.......    but you are right, screeching owls would move in if I still had K600's on them

38 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Looking at mine, they wouldn't be hard to sand and veneer.  The rounded corners night have to be built up though.  Heck, you could order raw birch and stain them yourself.  My living room has 7 black speakers in it now, they'd fit right in as is.

I've tried to stain stuff black before, didn't work out too well, but I was using a one part stain, apparently the two step process is the way to go.  I had the dangest time painting my room black too.  Me and black finishes don't get along, it's hard to do right.  

2 hours ago, jwc said:

i think audio in general is moving heavily to a home theater model and has been for some time. there isn't a lot of home audio gear from any brand that seems to be targeted at 2.0 stereo or 2.1 anymore. even more interesting is many people seem to be more concerned with effects than actual sound quality. most HT receivers under $900 i have heard sound just terrible yet they sell for a variety of reasons. maybe they don't want to pay marantz and up prices or maybe the avg person doesn't care? 

i have never heard the palladium line but i have heard the rf7ii, it's the closest speaker i have heard, at least from klipsch that has the mix of old and new. the horn is considerably better than what's in my heresy iis and the pair of 10s also handily out performs the single 12. 

i think it would be neat to try and rf7 type horn in a cornwall setup i just don't know if it would sell. like you say, the decisions at klipsch are above our head. i know what i like but i'm probably not the best guy to make corporate guesses 

1 hour ago, racebum said:

i think audio in general is moving heavily to a home theater model and has been for some time.

Even if you were a big music fan, there's so many high quality concert blu rays out there that are just so much more fun than a 2 channel recording, that it's hard for many of us to justify having a system that can only do two channel stereo.  2-channel to me is background music or something to play drums with, you'll never catch me doing any serious listening on a 2-channel system.  Not going to happen as long as home theater is alive and well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I've tried to stain stuff black before, didn't work out too well, but I was using a one part stain, apparently the two step process is the way to go.  I had the dangest time painting my room black too.  Me and black finishes don't get along, it's hard to do right.  

I had a tough time with Black stains too.....I am using a black wood dye now and the stuff works great.  No smell, just mix the powder with water and it'll stain the toughest and hardest to stain woods easily....$15 makes up to a gallon

http://www.kedadyeinc.com/?gclid=CjwKEAiAirXFBRCQyvL279Tnx1ESJAB-G-QvbRfOUhYJQ3hkSPacpchC0ZWn_7v2qXYOESMQm9ymKxoCy7Tw_wcB

14 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Even if you were a big music fan, there's so many high quality concert blu rays out there that are just so much more fun than a 2 channel recording, that it's hard for many of us to justify having a system that can only do two channel stereo.  2-channel to me is background music or something to play drums with, you'll never catch me doing any serious listening on a 2-channel system.  Not going to happen as long as home theater is alive and well.  

How about mono? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

You haven't been to my house.  :D

It's only 2 channel...........but 5 way.  Plenty of speakers and amplifiers to make you happy.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jwc said:

Folks, we are in the presence of a big Dawg!

You are correct.......you are asking for......along the lines of .......what we are thinking too.

All the parts are there to make the dream home speaker out of a Heritage.  Some have done it.  Of course you may not have a Klipsch speaker any longer.  :D