Receiver

JimmyUSMC

I have e following speakers and would like to know the best option for the receiver:

R28F that I want to bi-amp 

R25c center

R12sw

R15 for rear surrounds

I am not sure how many wpc I need for all these. 

I am new top the surround system so I don't know much about it. 

I bought all the speakers from hhGregg and I love them. I would like to get the receiver to power them properly. 

Thanks 

Jimmy 

Hi Jimmy,

First - welcome.

The big thing we need to know is the size of your room, and if you will prefer to listen to music or watch movies.

I would not bother with bi-amping bi-wiring the R-28F's for a number of reasons.  The biggest being that on a receiver you will likely not hear much if any difference in SQ.  The second being that the R-28F's aren't exactly suitable fodder for bi-amping.

• Like 2

Welcome. What he said above is correct on bi-a long from an avr. Total waste of time. Can do more harm than good actually. 

Also what hat he said above about room size, listening preference, and also the biggest one, BUDGET. Let us know those and we can point you towards a couple options. 

Hoorah! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome. 

The current room is 16x20. But I bought big in case it gets moved. Never want to need to upgrade. 

Not sure why you say the 28s are not good to bi-amp since they are designed for it with the 4 terminals on the back. Plus my friend had the 26s and said he's sounded better when he did it. Just gives a better range for all sounds, high medium and low. But like I said I'm new to all this. 

Budget is not really set. I have am older denon I'm using now. If works but I can only get so loud. I think it is around 75 wpc. I would like to stay under $800 if possible. My wife really doesn't want me to spend anymore on the system. 

Scrappydue Army vet? If so thanks for you're service. 

Semper Fi

3 hours ago, JimmyUSMC said:

Not sure why you say the 28s are not good to bi-amp since they are designed for it with the 4 terminals on the back. Plus my friend had the 26s and said he's sounded better when he did it. Just gives a better range for all sounds, high medium and low. But like I said I'm new to all this.

They aren't actually designed for bi-amp.  I've never understood why Klipsch does it.  They're tower speakers...two way designs.  The Best Buy/entry level especially isn't made with parts that would exactly sing with the extra juice.  Both leads go to the same board.

If it's off of a receiver, he's bi-wired them, not bi-amping.  Active bi-amping requires an outboard active crossover that will part the signal into high and low.  In all likelihood, your friend would not be able to tell the difference in a blind A/B test between his bi-wire and a standard wiring method.  It's proven snake oil.

Here are a couple options from Denon:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4100w/denon-avr-x4100w-7.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3200w/denon-avr-x3200w-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

I'd get the 4100 if you can.  That thing is a monster and will be more than enough for what you have speaker wise, and be ready for upgrades down the line.

Mr. IbezaFlame aka Michael is too polite to mention he has three AVR's for sale.

Jimmy, I don't know anything about those AVR models but Michael does.  If you have questions about them, please feel free to ask him or PM if that's better.  You will find he will give you incredibly honest advice, even if it is not to his advantage in a sale.

Michael, since you did not initiate the conversation about your For Sale items I hope you can feel free to answer any questions Jimmy has.  His biggest question would be to find out if any of those AVR's would have enough power for the speakers he has listed in Post 1.

I am not trying to push anything, but if any of Michael's AVR's are a good match for Jimmy's speakers, then maybe a sale can be transacted that benefits both.

58 minutes ago, JimmyUSMC said:

Hey guys appreciate the help. So no need to bi-amp or wire. What receiver is good for my set up? I really want to get the best out of my speakers. 

Jimmy, $800.00 will get you a bunch, especially on the used market or refurbished

Bill