AVR for stereo?

jdmccall

11 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Another one just like it would compare, it's also a 1000w mono block:D

For a Khorn or anything in the 100+ SPL range do we really need 500w ??

Also quality IMHO better than quantity. You need current and damping factor and a few other parameters. The ones with better numbers there obviously outperform the others.

Cool.

Srinath.

20 minutes ago, Srinath said:

You need current and damping factor and a few other parameters

Yeah, this. :) Following some of the technical threads over at AVS it seems that the topology/circuitry has improved in more recent upperend AVRs which allows them to drive multichannel configs more efficiently without having to have old school, "beefy' amplification.  It also seems to have driven down the costs.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Quiet_Hollow said:

I totally agree. Prior to 2005, the traditional arguments in this regard tended towards holding water. Since then however, things have gotten murky....and recently even more so.  Blanket statements can no longer apply to a product where combinations of on-board DSP, sophisticated noise shaping, and novel amplifier topologies are involved.

That's a very good thing, one day I will get a new AVR, things have change so much. Remember pro-logic......it was so cool,nothing like it before, looking back it sucked. :D

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Yeah, this. :) Following some of the technical threads over at AVS it seems that the topology/circuitry has improved in more recent upperend AVRs which allows them to drive multichannel configs more efficiently without having to have old school, "beefy' amplification.  It also seems to have driven down the costs.

TAS5630 - new Class D. Awesome, I cant find off the shelf models with the TAS5630 per say, but I have one I ran off a 200 watt old school printer power supply and man doesn't it have the power and sound clean as hell. I'm not sure it can run a hard load (carver Amazing) or one that needs current (B&W) yet cos it needs to be few 600 or so VA before you can determine that. Not the 200 I was giving it.

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Another one just like it would compare, it's also a 1000w mono block:D

LOL, like I was gonna do, run my NS1000's off the Nak PA 7 out of the fronts off my Emotiva UMC-1. PA7 on paper is rather unimpressive, 200 watts, but an NS1000 absolutely comes to life with that thing. It ran my 802's fine too, but a few other amps did better.

My Proceed 5 did better on the carver amazing than most others too, ofcourse the master for the Amazing was the silver 7 mono's (sadly sold) followed by TFM 45.

Cool.

Srinath.

2 hours ago, Srinath said:

Also quality IMHO better than quantity. You need current and damping factor and a few other parameters. The ones with better numbers there obviously outperform the others.

Cool.

Srinath.

This is a good question. I have never experienced tube amps or any of those other very low wattage amps but the other day I was talking to a guy that was trying to sell me a McIntosh amp and when I told him what speakers I have he said well ya you could run those with 5 watts but with those lower wattage tube amps your not gonna get any of the detail you would with these high powered amps. As I said I've never heard the lower powered so I can't say if that's true or not but it made me wonder because that's not the first time I've heard that. 

7 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

This is a good question. I have never experienced tube amps or any of those other very low wattage amps but the other day I was talking to a guy that was trying to sell me a McIntosh amp and when I told him what speakers I have he said well ya you could run those with 5 watts but with those lower wattage tube amps your not gonna get any of the detail you would with these high powered amps. As I said I've never heard the lower powered so I can't say if that's true or not but it made me wonder because that's not the first time I've heard that. 

I sort of agree, but I've never heard Khorns, now see in 1949 when they are conceived and built, there was only 3 watt tube amps, in mono. LOL.

Of course all music was analog. Maybe the detail was missing then too. The "detail" most people have in mind these days is usually achieved by a lower noise floor.

I'll run mine on everything from AVR's to dedicated 2 ch to vintage high power high current amps and post back over the next few years.

Cool.

Srinath.

• Like 1

I compare my class d 250 watt monoblocks against my SET tube amp all the time to get the nuances between the two clear in my mind.

For two channel there is a clear winner... and there is also a clear winner for Home Theater and 5.1 music. 

2 hours ago, Srinath said:

Cool.

Srinath.

Sorry, to clarify, my speakers are rated at 4 ohm so I gave the wattage at 4 ohm. This amp is 250x2 @8 ohm. My speakers sensitivity is 98db, they do like the higher wattage.

6 hours ago, Quiet_Hollow said:

Big +1 there. :emotion-21:

I totally agree. Prior to 2005, the traditional arguments in this regard tended towards holding water. Since then however, things have gotten murky....and recently even more so.  Blanket statements can no longer apply to a product where combinations of on-board DSP, sophisticated noise shaping, and novel amplifier topologies are involved.

Agreed.  I think the only blanket statement you can make today on this topic is if you want to ensure nothing changes the sound of your pure direct analog stereo sound, then get an analog stereo pre-amp or integrated amp.

I think the amp sections of modern AVRs have come a long way but still can't match a dedicated amp.  Differences are noticeable.

However I think the pre-amp sections of modern AVRs can be as transparent (or not) as you want them to be, and work very well for stereo listening.