Why was Klipsch RF-63/83 discontinued?

shaunm

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows why the RF-63/83 was discontinued? It had good reviews and everyone seemed to like them. I wonder why they didn't make version ii, like RF-62ii RF-82ii RC-64ii etc... All I could think about is that maybe they weren't selling as well as the others or too expensive? I always see RF-82's in the used market but hardly any RF-83 or RF-63 even RF-62 and RF-62ii doesn't come up that often. I use to have the RF-63 and I had to sell them but then after a year I wanted them back and couldn't find any for years but I finally found someone who had to let them go. I emailed Klipsch about them but I haven't got any replies yet I'm just curious. 

Shaunm,

I can't agree more.  With that said, popular demand for the RF-7(II) to come back to life was the driving force.  Though I do wish Klipsch would have added a true replacement for the RF-63 or an "enhanced" version to sit right under the flagship RF-7II.

Bill

Fwiw, I think it's because the RF-83/RC-64 were a warmer front soundstage than the traditional Klipsch sound....When they first came out I auditioned them at 2 locations and didn't feel they were as crisp and clear as my RF-7/RC-7 combo. {Note: still a nice sounding and well made speaker}

14 hours ago, shaunm said:

I always see RF-82's in the used market but hardly any RF-83 or RF-63 even RF-62 and RF-62ii doesn't come up that often.

Remember, there were two generations of RF-82s and my guess the cost to build them wasn't much different than the RF-62s because they look to have similar components (outside of the larger LF drivers and cabinets) and mass produced/ordered from China. Not saying that is a bad thing but under those circumstances they were probably easier to sell and discount than the RF-62s (If what you report is a fact). Also unsuspecting (or frugal) folks saw the RF-82s being almost as good as the RF-7s/RF-83s for half the price.

Otoh, the RF-83s/63s and RC-64 were made in Hope, Arkansas and volume could be adjusted to how many were being ordered.... 

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

Not saying that is a bad thing but under those circumstances they were probably easier to sell and discount than the RF-62s (If what you report is a fact). Also unsuspecting (or frugal) folks saw the RF-82s being almost as good as the RF-7s/RF-83s for half the price.

Otoh, the RF-83s/63s and RC-64 were made in Hope, Arkansas and volume could be adjusted to how many were being ordered.... 

A reasonable analysis.

When in doubt, follow the money.  B)

• 2 weeks later...

I personally thought the RF-83 and RF-63 were a downgrade in the Klipsch Reference lineup. I was very happy that Klipsch brought back the RF-7 Classic and then the RF-7ii I would have liked to have seen an RF-5ii version in the lineup.

To me the tamed RF-83 & RF-63 sound quality was not as good and I didn't care for their cabinet size, thinner yet taller and very deep or the molded plastic fronts.

• Like 1

Yes, it would be very nice if Klipsch would introduce a RF-5 II, I just love my RF-5's. I think the RF-5 might be the best bang for your buck in the Reference line that I have heard to date when considering sound quality, size, weight and cost. I've only heard the RF-63 recently but agree the cabinet size / shape just seems outrageous for a speaker with 6 1/2" woofers. The guy running the demo had some pretty junky looking home made tube amp driving them with his phone as a source so I really didn't know what to make of the sound quality.

26 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I've only heard the RF-63 recently but agree the cabinet size / shape just seems outrageous for a speaker with 6 1/2" woofers.

While the 63's do have an unusually deep cabinet, I am sure there is a reason to the madness, deeper extension and punchiness out of the triple 6.5's.

As you all know, I absolutely love the 63's and a quality amp with fast punchy bass drive capabilities can really enhance things.

Bill

1 hour ago, willland said:

While the 63's do have an unusually deep cabinet, I am sure there is a reason to the madness, deeper extension and punchiness out of the triple 6.5's.

As you all know, I absolutely love the 63's and a quality amp with fast punchy bass drive capabilities can really enhance things.

Bill

Yes, and based on your reviews I almost bought a pair recently but they had issues. I sure wish I could have tried a pair out in my room but I just picked up a pair of RF-7 II's and already have RF-5's so don't see trying out the 63's any time soon. Of course if the right deal came along... :ph34r:

I Love the RF-63's to me they sound so good! I actually sold mine years ago and then after many speakers after missed their sound. So went looking for them again and finally found a pair few weeks ago. I will never let this go again. I probably will buy RF-7ii i really like that look of those too. I think the RF-7ii look better than RF-7iii. 

I think Klipsch confused customers by changing model numbers too frequently. KLF C 7 never came back as a center channel. Maybe it did and I missed it when my home downsize event retired my home theater. RB 5 and RB 7 are awesome when anchored to filled stands. I have RB 5 in my inventory. Although the RB 5 crossover needs a Deang upgrade to meet its full potential that I never addressed that mini monitor played all music well in analog bypass mode with my Sherwood Newcastle HT separates.

I never owned them but every iteration of the RF 7 I have heard have been very musical. A run off of Chorus IIs against an RF7 would be interesting.

Fun discussion!

I compared a pair of original RF-7's to a pair of fully Crites modded Chorus II's a few years ago and felt the Chorus II was easily the superior of the two. Its the inner detail and clarity of the Chorus II that is very hard to beat. A lot of speakers I've tried have sounded really good until placed side by side with the Chorus.