Pioneer SC-LX901 Full MCACC Pro Calibration with Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-250S

Maher

I did a full MCACC Pro calibration after properly placing all speakers (5.1 setup), the Pioneer AV receiver detected surround sound speakers (RP-250S) as a large tower speaker !

Should I keep the setting for these surround speakers Large as calibrated or change it to Small manually?

I know the RP-250S is strong and has deep bass. 

Need your opinions

20170115_202040-1.jpg

MCACC has a tendency to set to many of the speakers as Large.  All the speakers should be set to Small if using a subwoofer.  If you don't have a subwoofer then leave the front speakers set to Large and set all the other speakers to Small.  I know the think of setting the speaker to Large or using the Subwoofer Plus feature sound like it would give you more bass but, your are more likely to get worse bass.

Are you bulding an 11.2.2 setup?  How large is the room and are you upstairs or in a basement?  These things can have a big impact on future setup.

I would plan on no less than two subwoofers for that size room.  One sub may be under whelming and also the bass most likely will not be even throughout the room.  If this is a dedicated theater with a couple of rows of seating the 5.2.4 will work well.  If the seating is spread around the room consider a 9.2.2.

Basement rob subwoofer performance 10-15 db. and the tactile response is greatly diminished.  Multiple subs may be needed depending on the desire for bone shaking effects from explosion and special effects in movies.

Ceiling Atmos speaker may be more effective in a large room compared to Dolby Atmos enabled speakers due to better placement options.

• Like 1

Ya, I would change them to small. I am running K-horns and have them set to small. Between small and large I have never noticed a difference. Some AVR's though, including Pioneer if I remember correctly will send the full frequency spectrum to the mains if you set them to large which isn't necesarilly bad when listening to music but if you throw a bluray on, especially one with heavy bass scenes they can send very loud extremely low frequencies to the mains which can damage them. My brother actually blew his mains doing this by accident. 

Also, setting them to small will leave the AVR's amp open to focusing on the higher frequencies. The lower frequencies are much more taxing on the amp which is why subs have built in amps. 

As you mentioned to set front and surround speaker to small to avoid pass extreme low frequency (heavy bass) to them in case of having subwoofer. I am wondering if these reference premiere class front speakers RP-280F and Surround Speakers RP-250S can't handle heavy bass; isn't these speakers should have built-in filter or crossover to avoid pass unnecessary frequencies to the speakers as a protection ?

for example RP-280F Frequency response is 32~25kHz isn't all frequencies below than 32Hz should be filtered by speaker itself to avoid damages?

Edited by Maher
spelling correction

Or setting crossover at 80Hz in A/V receiver should avoid sending lower frequencies (heavy bass) to front and surround speakers...I'm I right ?

so if I set all speaker as LARGE (Front, Center & Surround) and set crossover at 80Hz in A/V receiver; shouldn't this setting protect these speakers if speakers didn't have built-in protection method?