Last step to complete the theater..

AaronB123

I've lately been thinking of perhaps upgrading my subs. I do love them and think for the price they can't be beat but when watching Bluray's they seem to have trouble keeping up with the rest of my system. First I was looking into SVS because that new PB-16 ultra does look incredible but the more research I do I am leaning towards JTR subs, mainly either the Captivator s2's or Captivator 218HT's. I would most likely get 2. What do you guys think? I was speaking with the guy from JTR and he said one of those 218HT's would have as much output as about 4 of my current subs. 

Again, this is not to say I think the Klipsch subs are bad, I just don't necessarily think there on the same level as the rest of the system. 

I have a hard time imagining that 4 15"s would have a hard time keeping up with anything.

I know this is the ultimate dumb question, but what is it you think you are lacking in the bass area?  The two logical answers are SPL and  the lowest sub 20 Hz bass extension.

Are you listening to a Blu-ray movie where you feel something is lacking?

6 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I have a hard time imagining that 4 15"s would have a hard time keeping up with anything.

I know this is the ultimate dumb question, but what is it you think you are lacking in the bass area?  The two logical answers are SPL and  the lowest sub 20 Hz bass extension.

Are you listening to a Blu-ray movie where you feel something is lacking?

I only have 2 15's at the moment but yes it is Bluray's where I feel it is lacking a bit. For music it's fine in fact for music I usually turn the sub's off and just let the K-horns produce the bass. For instance with something like Deadpool with heavy impact scenes I have to admit it does leave me wanting more, even if I turn the sub level up on the AVR it doesn't seem to do anything after a certain point and I am guessing that's because the sub's auto clipping limiter has kicked in which I would assume to be the case because looking at it even all the way from the listening area you can see it's excursion rate is extremely high. 

I'm not sure why I assigned you four subs!  I guess in my heart I was gifting you a couple more.  ;)

+++

I don't know if you are a DIY guy but there is a DIY 18" sub kit with a flat pack you can get, add an Inuke 6000 w/dsp w/1200 watts per sub and you've got $1200 into 18" dual subs.  That would get you some low end grunt at little relative cost.  I think Scrappy went that route. 
+++

I don't mind mentioning the DIY stuff because first of all you aren't looking at Klipsch products, and second the DIY kit does not compete with Klipsch, which comes with a fine finished cabinet and full warranty.

+++

I'm not sure what the Klipsch subs are worth on the pre-owned market but I would imagine you could sell them and recapture much of the cost of the Ultimax 18s.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I'm not sure why I assigned you four subs!  I guess in my heart I was gifting you a couple more.  ;)

+++

I don't know if you are a DIY guy but there is a DIY 18" sub kit with a flat pack you can get, add an Inuke 6000 w/dsp w/1200 watts per sub and you've got $1200 into 18" dual subs.  That would get you some low end grunt at little relative cost.  I think Scrappy went that route. 
+++

I don't mind mentioning the DIY stuff because first of all you aren't looking at Klipsch products, and second the DIY kit does not compete with Klipsch, which comes with a fine finished cabinet and full warranty.

+++

I'm not sure what the Klipsch subs are worth on the pre-owned market but I would imagine you could sell them and recapture much of the cost of the Ultimax 18s.

Ya I'm not really into the DIY I was never really good at stuff like that honestly unless it's computers lol then I can build pretty much anything. I think I might give the jtr's a shot. 

They offer a 5 year warranty on their amps I'm pretty sure I read. 

3 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

Ya I'm not really into the DIY I was never really good at stuff like that honestly unless it's computers lol then I can build pretty much anything.

I think I might give the jtr's a shot. 

I went to the JTR website and saw the 218HT.  It's a beast for sure, but not very pretty.  Would you be putting them behind a screen?

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I went to the JTR website and saw the 218HT.  It's a beast for sure, but not very pretty.  Would you be putting them behind a screen?

Nope it would be right out in the open. I think they look real badass honestly. I'm just kinda torn  between the 218ht and the s2 the s2 is sealed. Which do you think would be better for theater application?

7 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

. I think they look real badass honestly.

No argument there! 

7 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

I'm just kinda torn  between the 218ht and the s2 the s2 is sealed. Which do you think would be better for theater application?

I have no idea.  Either pair of dual 18's, sealed or ported would surely be enough for all but the most hardcore bassheads.

I read the specs on both, but the specs were not consistently listed.  The 218 is listed at 104 db 1 watt at 1 meter.  It's not listed on the S2.

I think I would talk to the JTR people and see what they suggest.

I have owned many high quality subs but the pair of Captivators I heard, from the guy I bought my ML's from, showed me exactly what I was missing. Truly eye opening, bass I never knew existed! 

I have long dreamed about owning dual Orbit Shifters. The other dream subwoofer setup is the Boss O Bass Raptor 3 system. 

22 minutes ago, K5SS said:

I have owned many high quality subs but the pair of Captivators I heard, from the guy I bought my ML's from, showed me exactly what I was missing. Truly eye opening, bass I never knew existed! 

I have long dreamed about owning dual Orbit Shifters. The other dream subwoofer setup is the Boss O Bass Raptor 3 system. 

You think the orbital shifter would have more bass output than the 218ht?

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Have you considered DIY, or finding a cabinet builder who could help you out?  I would look at some of the great DIY subs out there. 

Idk truthfully I'd probably rather just buy something built unless I found someone that was really reputable locally. 

2 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

Idk truthfully I'd probably rather just buy something built unless I found someone that was really reputable locally. 

I just think you can get more bang for the buck going this route.  Though 2 of those subs you speak of would look really cool.

• Like 1

I got into the DIY community a few years ago when I wanted a project to work on with my son who had joined the Air Force and was leaving for Germany for four years.  I was in at the level of having no tools or woodworking skills, but I discovered flat packs were available which were precision cut with a CNC machine and it was expertly designed with heavy bracing and pre-cut baffles already routed out.  All I needed was glue, some clamps and then paint.  Right up my ally. 

I enjoyed the experience and the sound of my DIY speakers and subs rival that of the very best Klipsch speakers that I own.  DIY is not for everybody, but it was fun and now I like to do a project every year.

It beats my having to buy Christmas presents every year for the kids.  B)

SEOS Fusion 10, VTI 18" stands, Onkyo 717, Klipsch RW-12d, and some kind of fake flowers.

IMG_4451.JPG

• Like 2