Last step to complete the theater..

AaronB123

7 hours ago, jason str said:

Just a heads up here, you could probably have a THTLP built veneered with Walnut veneer to match the new K-horns for nearly the same price as the JTR but in the end the choice is yours.

I'm just throwing this out there. I know your a huge bfm fan but I think going by specs and driver usage the a orbit shifter would Best a tht. 

7 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

I'm just throwing this out there. I know your a huge bfm fan but I think going by specs and driver usage the a orbit shifter would Best a tht. 

Those who know much about horns know you don't need 4000 watts nor a 4" peak to peak X-max driver, Just something to keep in mind when making a judgement call.

The only model sub i was able to really max out without destructive qualities was an 8" driver in a Table Tuba and still this bested most subs under $1000 on the market.

55 minutes ago, jason str said:

Those who know much about horns know you don't need 4000 watts nor a 4" peak to peak X-max driver, Just something to keep in mind when making a judgement call.

The only model sub i was able to really max out without destructive qualities was an 8" driver in a Table Tuba and still this bested most subs under $1000 on the market.

Don't need? Lol sure but it's still there! Jeff permanian the owner of jtr builds insane products that take it to the extreme. 

I think aaron has his head in the right direction by looking towards them. He wants top notch bass to match the rest of his theater. Jtr will give it to him. 

12 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

Don't need? Lol sure but it's still there! Jeff permanian the owner of jtr builds insane products that take it to the extreme. 

I think aaron has his head in the right direction by looking towards them. He wants top notch bass to match the rest of his theater. Jtr will give it to him. 

Maybe you misunderstand, you don't need that much power in a efficient horn design, all you end up with is a overheated voice coil and overburdened horn throat leading to excessive distortion.

The 15" driver in the THT will easily overpower the Klipshorn.

Thanks to everyone for making me aware of these different subwoofers. The JTR Captivator 4000 ULF subwoofer has very impressive big specs. It is fun to read about products like those, as well as the efficient folded horn designs that jason str recommends. The very large size of these high output subs makes any purchase a heavy commitment, so it is good to learn from all your experienced opinions.

Did some snooping around this morning and found more information on the JTR Orbit Shifter LFU, if you read all the notes in the clickable link below it confirms my suspicion on the overheating voice coil.

The JTR Orbit Shifter LFU still looks like a decent performer but has some drawbacks not to mention the high price tag and large cabinet size.

Just for the record the THT design distortion is less than 2% @110 dB over 20 Hz and 5% @110 dB under 20 Hz as it is under tuning frequency, far less than the JTR Orbit Shifter LFU at the same volume.

If anybody cares to read further... >click here<

9 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

The staff at Data-Bass.com has done some serious subwoofer testing. They tested the Gjallarhorn and the Othorn, but I did not see the THT name on their list. What would be the equivalent of the THT?

Bill Fitzmaurice is the designer and owner of the designs, you just pay a small fee for the design you want and you can build as many as you want after that, you cab buy all the plans for a discounted price as well.  >link<

The Gjallarhorn and Othorn are tapped horns, different design.

8 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

Yeah I'd love for Ricci to get his hands on one of the tht subs. Just so we can see real world numbers for it as well. To me you aren't even a contender in the bass world if your subs aren't on that list. 

Don't walk through life with blinders on, you end up missing lots of good stuff.

Sounds like you both have blinders on..

Unless either of you have A/B tested both subs in a room, you both are just speculating. 

"But the charts don't lie." Sure they do. It really comes down to personal preferences and the room acoustics. 

We are talking about the top 1% of subwoofers available, either direction the OP decides to go, I am sure he will be absolutely thrilled. 

Bill- The Zonda I the best supercar

Dave- The Porsch 918 is better

I am sure both Dave and Bill would be very happy owning either, I know I would;)

16 hours ago, jason str said:

Maybe you misunderstand, you don't need that much power in a efficient horn design, all you end up with is a overheated voice coil and overburdened horn throat leading to excessive distortion.

The 15" driver in the THT will easily overpower the Klipshorn.

Ya, i was wondering about that and I figured that and the Orbital shifter would probably both easily overpower the K-horn. I couldn't believe it but one of those Orbital Shifters weighs more than a Khorn and I saw some youtube video's of the thing and it's HUGE! Truthfully after seeing the size of it I think it would look kinda ridiculous in my room, it would come out almost to the middle of the room. 

The THTLP uses little floor space, has 2 designs ( end or side firing) and can be made a custom width (15" - 36") to fit most any space.

The THT Snail shell design is another option, same width as above.

All sound alike with the exception of the wider the cabinet the flatter the response though if you can EQ the sub it would make little difference overall.

Minimum cabinet width with a 15" driver is 18" ( Eminence Lab 15 ) and 21" wide using the recommended Dayton.

I prefer the end firing version, you can just stand it firing up at the ceiling using minimum floor space 18" x 15" to 18" x 36" depending on cabinet width, most build the 24" wide version as it makes the most out of a 4 x 8 Ft plywood sheet.

Ya, idk it's not even that I am unsatisfied with the bass I have I kinda just wanted to try those JTR subs but for one thing I know they would be over kill for my room and secondly they are SOO big, I didn't really realize just how big they are until I actually took the measurements. To put them in a room of my size would really be ridiculous. Another thing that I've been doing lately is when listening to music I just set my mains to large and don't use subs I think it actually sounds better that way. 

12 minutes ago, jason str said:

Its only overkill if adjusted improperly, the effortless bass adds nuances and feeling the mains just are not capable of producing.

If you have not heard them before you will not miss it but once you do it will feel like something is missing.

Hmm lol it doesn't take much to temp me into new audio gear, you may have just given me the push I needed to take the leap..

• Like 2

Just now, jason str said:

If you are local i have a couple here you can listen to before you take the leap.

I really appreciate the offer but it looks like I'm about 900 miles away if your sig is accurate and you're located in Chicago. I'm just wondering if I would be able to get away with just one. It's not even a matter of it not having enough power, I know it will have more than enough I am just looking for that full bass no dead spot experience and sometimes that's hard without 2 subs. 

• Like 1